PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic: iPod Car Install

Ashley Matthews
30-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Hi,

I've seen several U.S people do this on various websites, but I'd be wanting to know, has anyone here tried hard-wiring their iPod into their car? I would try those FM adapters but reviews I've seen aren't great and I don't thing that new zealands fm band is hospitable to them either.

If so how did you do it... Any photos etc?

Ash

whiskeytangofoxtrot
30-08-2004, 09:29 PM
> I've seen several U.S people do this on various
> websites, but I'd be wanting to know, has anyone here
> tried hard-wiring their iPod into their car?

Quickest and easiest is to get a car-cassette adaptor thing, I've done the with my MP3 player for some time.

Alternatively get a good head unit with AUX in, wire up a 3.5mm --> RCA cable and mount it that way.

Or sell your car, take a loan and buy one of the new BMW's that support iPOD's natively with the stereo... class!

Bazza
30-08-2004, 10:32 PM
Ashley, hardwiring will require much skill, and knowledge to dive into the car stereo. If your Stereo does not have an Aux in, as WTF says using a car casette thing works fine. Been there, done that.

Even better now I use a FM transmitter, connected to the mp3 player line/headphone outut to send stereo to the car FM radio. It works very well. It's a small unit with enough range for the car, or in the house. It has 4 selectable frequencies from 88.1 to 88.7 Mhz. Haven't had any problems with interference, but I guess it depends on your reception area.

Big John
31-08-2004, 12:06 AM
> I've seen several U.S people do this on various
> websites, but I'd be wanting to know, has anyone here
> tried hard-wiring their iPod into their car? I would
> try those FM adapters but reviews I've seen aren't
> great and I don't thing that new zealands fm band is

My mate showed me his yesterday. Plugs into the 12volt plug and holds the IPod and a transmitter. He has it tuned at the bottom range and the thing has a range of about 3 to 10 metres. He said it works fine. No interference at all.
Sounded fine from what he showed me and he said he did not have to worry about charging it as it was being done in the cradle in the car.
Says he never listens to the radio anymore. Just the IPod.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
31-08-2004, 12:19 AM
http://www.apple.com/ipod/bmw/

http://www.bmwusa.com/ipod/

Perfection...