PDA

View Full Version : Windows - Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low

stu120404
30-08-2004, 06:27 PM
I just got that message

& I have got running Windows explore, 17 IE windows, 12 Firefox tabs open, OE, smart FTP, QuickBooks Pro Timer, Office Excel 2003, Macromedia Dreamweaver MX, and Microsoft PhotoDraw V2

Plus MailWasher, Yahoo messenger, MSN messenger & AVG

What does that mean???!!!, I am I running out of RAM???? (I got 256MB)

When I look at the Performance tab it says PF Usage 489MB???

I am have Win XP with SP2 RC 2

stu120404
30-08-2004, 06:27 PM
By the way this is the 2nd time I got that messege....

Susan B
30-08-2004, 06:38 PM
Nowhere near enough RAM for that lot, Stu. :-(

Can you at least double it? Put another 256MB in?

beetle
30-08-2004, 07:00 PM
:o

Do you have that lot running all at the same time????

if it was me (LOL and not) i wouldnt know if i was coming or going with that much on the go at once.......

seems even a comp cant juggle everything at once either.

beetle

whiskeytangofoxtrot
30-08-2004, 07:27 PM
I'm pretty sure you've already asked this in another thread a couple of months back and got the same answer then.

andrew93
30-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Definitely not enough RAM but what is the virtual memory setting? Check under Control Panel, System, Advanced, Performance Settings, Advanced, Virtual Memory - how many mb is the "Total paging file size"? I think I read somewhere that the optimal virtual memory setting is 3 times the RAM (someone please correct me if I am wrong) - you can set the max and the min to the same figure (in your case say 800Mb) under "Change". Custom size, 800 max, 800 min, Set. You will need to restart the PC.

Greg S
30-08-2004, 07:39 PM
You might want to check the size of your swap file

ferrite
30-08-2004, 10:27 PM
i noticed after the sp2 installation on my pc ,system using about 23 extra mb.svhost.

stu120404
17-09-2004, 12:15 AM
> Nowhere near enough RAM for that lot, Stu. :-(

If it is that I am running out of ram, won’t win xp throw some sort of hiss fit? Like an error message say that you are running out of ram or something like that??

stu120404
17-09-2004, 12:19 AM
Would one of the reason why I would get this error message

"Windows - Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low"

Is because I use at lest three Program which are Memory or system resources hogs???

Jen C
17-09-2004, 12:22 AM
> If it is that I am running out of ram, won’t win xp
> throw some sort of hiss fit? Like an error message
> say that you are running out of ram or something like
> that??

Yes. And it did. That was the error message that you complained about and it is the subject heading of this thread.

Did you take a look at the swap file sizing as suggested by some?

Jen C
17-09-2004, 12:27 AM
> Would one of the reason why I would get this error
> message
>
> "Windows - Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low"
>
> Is because I use at lest three Program which are
> Memory or system resources hogs???

You are answering your own questions Stu :)

Either up the amount of RAM in your machine, take a look at your swap page file, or limit how many apps you have running when using one of the memory hungry programs.

Seeing as you use graphic/web type software, I would get some more RAM for your machine (min total 512 MB) for improved performance.

zqwerty
17-09-2004, 12:36 AM
Microsoft PhotoDraw V2 uses a lot of memory, I use the program and often get the a similar message, something like "Win2k needs to increase the virtual memory OK?" so I allow it and all goes well.

What do you use PhotoDraw for? It is a discontinued program but I find it very useful and I think it is under rated.

pulling hair out
17-09-2004, 01:01 AM
Hi Andrew93

Sorry for intruding on this thread, but my Total Paging Size under Virtual Memory Setting is 360mb and I have 256mb of Ram. This was set automatically as I haven't touched it.

Do you think I should "up" it some more?

Marg.

Chilling_Silence
17-09-2004, 02:03 AM
Personally I think it best to let Windows determine the correct amount.

Anything else is just wasting HDD space.

Ive got a 600MB Swap Partition, but its never been used for anything except for Hibernating Yoper on my Laptop.

I have 512MB Ram and keep all apps open, like it seems Stu does.

The error is nothing to freak out about, its just Windows saying "Im just sorting myself out, keeping you informed about what Im doing, nothing to worry about here... Carry on".

Chill.

djade_nz
06-05-2005, 12:20 AM
Hey Stu
Just looking at you lil problem with your virtual memory shortage.
Wouldn’t it be better adding more ram to your puter.

I have got almost everything that you have
on my COM. and I use 1 gig plus worth of ram So I can try and get the most out of my COM.

Even that’s not enough I still wish that it will go faster

I have a good CPU its not that latest but it still hums along quite well but I won’t bore you with the details.
So my advise to you go out and buy more (Ram)
And that will fix your problem.

Cheers bud.

ninja
06-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Hello and welcome to last year.

Stu's left (about 5 times incidentally) but left much the same.