PDA

View Full Version : FAQ #66 - How do I stop my modem making noise?

-FAQ-
30-08-2004, 05:36 PM
FAQ #66 - How do I stop my modem making noise?

Originally written by Sam H

The noises you hear when your modem is dialing up are "handshake" noises that the modem uses to communicate with other computers around the world.

Sometimes these noises can become very annoying and if you decide you do not want to hear them anymore then follow these instructions to turn off your modem speaker.
Note: Instructions are for Windows XP but other Windows versions should be similar.

First click on the Start button then open the Control Panel then double click on the Network Connections icon. Next right-click the internet connection you use and select Properties. This will open a new window - make sure you have the General tab selected and underneath where it tells you what modem you connect with there will be a button that has the word Configure written on it. Click this and it will open up another window. On this you should untick the box that says "Enable modem speaker" then click OK all the way out. Your modem should no longer make that annoying sound when connecting.

Another method:

If the modem still makes a noise even after performing the routine above you can mute the modem by using the ATM0 initialisation string or ATM1 for low sound. To set this go to Control Panel, click on Modems, press the Properties button, go to the Connection tab and press the Advanced button. In the "extra settings" box type ATM0 (zero).

Next time you dial up the modem should be as quiet as a mouse.

Credit to Tristan Speak

And one more...

You could also plug an unused pair of earphones into the appropriate jack in the modem, so that it only goes through the earphones. Or just some connector that fits in there for sound.

Credit to Hervard

Original FAQ available here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=22161&message=61554&q=faq+35#61554).

KatiMike
25-11-2004, 10:29 PM
After trying the above my Dynalink 56k external rural modem still make a heck of a noise and wakes the wife / children ... V.90, Rockwell drivers , volume [ of modem ] all the way back to the left ...