PDA

View Full Version : Linux iPod Client / Dual Boot Query?

Ashley Matthews
30-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Hi,

I'm about to buy an iPod, but have a small problem. I run Linux and as far as I am aware Apple has not released a version of iTunes, and I'm not sure of the details of the Crossover Office version of it.

Question One: Does anyone know of a Linux (Fedora 2) program that could let me copy Music to an iPod without using the iTunes software.

Question Two: Failing that above, is there a way I could install Windows XP (noting that FC2 is already happily installed by itself), just to use iTunes?. I take it I'd need to repartition in linux somehow (any ideas) and then install but as i hear windows xp doesn't like that much.

Any ideas appreciated

Ash

Graham L
30-08-2004, 05:40 PM
"ipod linux" to Google tells me that you could install Linux on the iPod. That might not be quite what you want. :D

But have a look at how someone at Duke University has connected (http://www.cs.duke.edu/~geha/ipod/) one to a Linux machine.

fus1_n
30-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Sure, but the sound quality is worse and the device drivers don't work well... etc. It is cool though ;) I think an Ipod works just like any MP3 player or USB flash drive: you just plug it in and it appers in MY comp. In Linux you might have to use umount/mount /mount etc. (i am a n00b to linux) But my friends 4GB MuVo2 just plugs into any comp, then you drag file onto it, just like a flash drive. Personaly I wouldn't buy an I-Pod I would get this: http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=120913

Graham L
30-08-2004, 05:57 PM
I think the problem is that the iPOd uses Firewire, not USB. ;-)

Lohsing
30-08-2004, 05:59 PM
But there are USB adaptors for the iPod...

Lo.

ilikelinux
30-08-2004, 06:04 PM
is it possible that the ipod shows up as a scsi hard disk, just like a usb thumb drive...

ILL

DangerousDave
30-08-2004, 07:38 PM
ok for your ipod query...

the 4g ipod comes with a USB2.0 and Firewire cable, while 3g and earlier come with only a firewire cable (while you could buy an expensive USB2.0 one for the 3g ipod). Now you can run it in Linux using a program called ephPod, google that for a link, its heaps better than iTunes too IMHO, better control over music placement etc.

Have fun

- David

Chilling_Silence
30-08-2004, 07:47 PM
You still SCSI-device emulation over Firewire though.

Ive been told that its just a normal SCSI device, so as root:
mkdir /mnt/itunes
chmod 777 /mnt/itunes
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/itunes -o umask=000
(That's Zero's on the end, and the letter "o" after "itunes -".....)
That way users can read / write to it....

That should get you your iTunes mounted :-)

Chill.