PDA

View Full Version : screen shot of pc

yingxuan
30-08-2004, 03:21 PM
I don't have a camera and i want to take a screen shot of the desktop.
A shot of whatever the desktop is currently displaying.Are there any programs that can take screenshot of the desktop?

Lohsing
30-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Just hit the print screen key on your keyboard and paste into a word document.

Lo.

un_auth0rised
30-08-2004, 03:30 PM
on the right-hand-side of your F12 key there is a key that says 'print screen' press this once then go into Paint through programs, accessories and press Ctrl V or Edit, Paste

rodb
30-08-2004, 03:32 PM
I suggest the program AnalogX Capture, available from Download.com and similar sites.

Vince
30-08-2004, 04:31 PM
The free 'ScreenHunter' can capture the whole screen, the active window, or a selection. It is very intuitive and easy to use. Get it here (http://www.wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter.htm)
Vince

Jun,2002
30-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Hover Snap.exe. is the best I,ve tried,and still use it.Its about 500KB download.
Google will find it for you.

tommy
30-08-2004, 04:49 PM
Have a look at this FAQ. (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=50619&message=305610)

Billy T
30-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Just curious, but why is everyone but Loh trying to complicate matters for Tammy? Surely just pressing one key then pasting into Paint or any other graphics program is the simplest and easiest solution? There is no need for downloads.

There may well be good reason, but it escapes me at present.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

mark.p
30-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Because there is more than one way. And lo suggested paste it into Word not a grahics program.....................

Growly
30-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Does anyone know the name of the kernel module responsible for taking screenshots?

mark.p
30-08-2004, 08:23 PM
What OS Growly?

Rob99
30-08-2004, 08:24 PM
Alt + Print Screen capures just the avtive window

stu120404
30-08-2004, 08:26 PM
> Just curious, but why is everyone but Loh trying to
> complicate matters for Tammy?

Maybe because the above people (excluding Lo) donít know how the Print screen key works????

mark.p
30-08-2004, 08:41 PM
un_auth0rised gave a more defintive answer and Rob99 plolished it off, but Billy T just did his usual pompus ramblings.

Billy T
30-08-2004, 09:01 PM
Sorry Mark, you missed the point completely. I was genuinely interested to know if there was a good technical explanation behind the suggestions, because I do a lot of print-screens in my work, and usually dump them to Paint, Irfanview, Word or Publisher, depending on the ultimate use and destination document type.

Pasting to Word is no different to pasting to Paint, just fewer options for image manipulation. Edit>Paste-Special>Picture is a particular favourite as it allows resizing and makes image placement a simple drag & drop job.

Now, if you have a constructive suggestion, I'm all ears, and I'd appreciate any useful advice you have to offer, but otherwise don't waste your time & mine with any more cheap shots or nitpicking, there's been too much of that around lately.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

mark.p
30-08-2004, 09:07 PM
There you go again........................... ;)

whiskeytangofoxtrot
30-08-2004, 09:36 PM
> There you go again........................... ;)

Exactly Mr T, there are a number of ways to exfoliate a feline - most of the suggestions above your post were either identical but worded differently, or recommending third party apps.

mark.p
30-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Also, an interesting thing is most folk have assumed the originator of the thread is using some variant of MS Windows when in fact that person could well be using another OS completely ;). Mac OS or Linux for example. Nitpicking I know, but................

Laura
30-08-2004, 10:07 PM
As neither of the objectors to Billy T have answered yingxuan's question - merely criticised the answers - I suggest they pull their horns in.

My assumptions from yingxuan's previous posts are that she is a Chinese girl at secondary school in New Plymouth.

I may have the age wrong & I may have the place wrong - but either way, you have hi-jacked her thread for your own purposes in a way which is not acceptable.

She's entitled as a member of this forum to have her question answered without the extra load of reading the outbursts of people with other agendas.

We're supposedly sympathic to other cultures in NZ. This isn't a good example for what you're doing to a young schoolgirl's thread.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
30-08-2004, 10:14 PM
> As neither of the objectors to Billy T have answered
> yingxuan's question - merely criticised the answers
> - I suggest they pull their horns in.

Actually Ms Self-Appointed Moderator and protector of the downtrodden, neither mark.p or myself criticised any of the answers.

Read the thread before you decide to make it your duty to take others to task.

mark.p
30-08-2004, 10:22 PM
> She's entitled as a member of this forum to have her
> question answered without the extra load of reading
> the outbursts of people with other agendas.
>
>
You mean like BT not understanding that there is more than one way to grab a screenprint?

And the point of your outburst was?

Laura
30-08-2004, 10:33 PM
No, of course you didn't criticise the answers.

You merely used the thread to criticise other poster's answers. No worthwhile contribution at all..

That's hi-jacking (and we've all done it - me included) but my point was that it's not appropriate in this case.

Sorry you think I'm a self- appointed moderator.It was never my intention to take over from you.

Vince
30-08-2004, 10:52 PM
> Just curious, but why is everyone but Loh trying to
> complicate matters for Tammy? Surely just pressing
> one key then pasting into Paint or any other graphics
> program is the simplest and easiest solution? There
> is no need for downloads.
> Billy 8-{)

Tammy's problem was solved, but she , or other people may have more complex requirements, either now or in the future. A utility like ScreenHunter can be very handy, and is good to have at hand when it is wanted. Vince

mark.p
30-08-2004, 10:55 PM
WTF looks like Laura hi-jacked the hi-jack. I'll just take a screen print of this the the handy dany screen print util that is included with GIMP that is available for a quite a number of operating systems. Night night all. Time to grab my trusty teddy and tuck up snuggly in bed. Happy dreams.

Vince
30-08-2004, 11:05 PM
> Also, an interesting thing is most folk have assumed
> the originator of the thread is using some variant of
> MS Windows when in fact that person could well be
> using another OS completely ;). Mac OS or Linux for
> example. Nitpicking I know, but................

If someone is using an alternative OS then they certainly know enough to say so. Vince

Vince
30-08-2004, 11:09 PM
YES Laura, YES. Vince

R2x1
31-08-2004, 03:04 PM
I am trying to remember who told me that it was often better to have tooth-marks on your tongue than to have then on your foot. Whoever it was, he/she was probably right.
;)
R2

Chilling_Silence
31-08-2004, 03:34 PM
C'mon guys, Chill.

Dont take it so personally.... Geez you guys needa lighten up a little around here. Take a minute to think before you post!

Growly:
The FAQ covers how to capture in Linux. Try ksnapshot, or download scrot. If you have Gnome then you can also do has been suggested with Alt + Prt Sc.

Chill.

Growly
31-08-2004, 05:18 PM
I meant windows XP, sorry bout that.

FeuerBrennt
01-09-2004, 11:06 AM
XnView (http://www.xnview.com)
When dloaded to pc, look for the camera icon. This will take a capture of the desktop...