PDA

View Full Version : "REALLY" delete files

devo101
30-08-2004, 03:20 PM
HI guys, I know that hitting delete and emptying recycling bin doesn't really totally delete a file, I am selling my old computer and want to perminantly delete things like some program files and my documents for good without destroying the operating system. Is there a free software program that does this please? as I say I only want to remove files and leave Windows intact.

TIA

johnboy
30-08-2004, 03:40 PM
here is one way Try this program delete every thing you don't want then use it to over write all the deleted files it only over writes what has been deleted.
restoration
here (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html)
hth

devo101
30-08-2004, 03:50 PM
thanks for that, looks like exactly what i need, cheers

Murray P
30-08-2004, 03:50 PM
If you have Spybot S&E installed, in the Tools section you will find a secure shredder. Set it to 7 + shreds (over writes, more = better = more time) to give a modicum of safety from the data being recovered. A determined person with a bit of money to burn may still be able to retrieve some if not all the data but, the only sure way to prevent that is to completely destroy the drive platter.

Cheers Murray P

devo101
30-08-2004, 03:52 PM
ummmm thanks for that, but i was kinda hoping to sell the HDD as well...

Murray P
30-08-2004, 04:08 PM
> i was kinda hoping to sell the HDD as well...

Yes I realise that, just a heads up that erasing or shredder utilities do not make it impossible for a determined person to recover data as per the following cut and paste from the Snapfiles info "In addition, it also provides the option to wipe the found files beyond simple recovery".

It's not likely that a new owner would go to the trouble to attempt to recover unspecified data, therefore either programme would probably suit your purpose if your expectation is that the data is not that sensitive that if you saw it on the front page of your local rag you wouldn't have a heart attack ;)

Cheers Murray P

Fishb8
30-08-2004, 04:24 PM
If your selling with XP, don't forget to remove System Restore points. Tun it off to delete all SR, then you can turn it back on.
I bought a used PC that had been cleaned, or so he thought, but setrting the system restore gave me access to all his password-protected stuff, like email etc!

tommy
30-08-2004, 04:42 PM
Have a look at this FAQ. (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=33127&message=146623&q=faq+%2332#146623)

Murray P
30-08-2004, 05:06 PM
On further consideration:

Erase/shred data files and OS from a boot disc.

Format the drive (all partitions) then install a fresh copy of Windows for the next user or supply the CD only for them to install it themselves.

That should do it for most paranoid's. A vice, safety gear and a disc/angle grinder will do it for the rest.

Cheers Murray P

devo101
31-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the link, that about covers it, thanks to all who replied, much apprecated.

drb1
02-09-2004, 02:44 AM
> On further consideration:
>
> Erase/shred data files and OS from a boot disc.
>
> Format the drive (all partitions) then install a
> fresh copy of Windows for the next user or supply the
> CD only for them to install it themselves.
>
> That should do it for most paranoid's. A vice, safety
> gear and a disc/angle grinder will do it for the
> rest.
>
> Cheers Murray P

You like work? Blue spanner.