PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Router

bk T
30-08-2004, 03:11 PM
My friend has a tight budget. He is looking for a 'CHEAP' and 'RELIABLE' ADSL Router preferably with 4 port hub/switch. He has got only $130 to spend.

Any suggestions?

KingWave
30-08-2004, 04:14 PM
No can do Chief. 'CHEAP' and 'RELIABLE' don't go together in the same sentence.

andy
31-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Dick Smiths are still showing stock of their xh1149 4 port adsl router at the following branches - Glenfield, Manukau, Papakura, Botany Downs, Featherston Street, Manchester Street, Papanui, The Palms - Christchurch, Invercargill. If these are not near you they will ship it in for a small fee.
It is $129, is easy to set up and works well.

45South
31-08-2004, 07:25 PM
I've installed the Dick Smith routers for 7 customers & only had done fail.
It was a dud out of the box
Even though they are probably the lower - mid end of the quality scale they seem to work ok & I like to use them because Dick Smiths has a swapout policy for their adsl gear.

"Why a swap-out warranty?
We know how important your network is. The last thing you want is to be left high and dry waiting for a resolution. All DSE networking products carry our 1 year swap out hardware warranty. In the unlikely event of product failure, simply return the product to your nearest outlet with your receipt where we will swap it out with a direct replacement, it's nearest equivalent or we will refund your purchase.

Growly
31-08-2004, 10:10 PM
Please note that that is strictly limited to DSE products - I bought a D-Link router from 'em and they couldn't do a thing when it broke.

Still using it.

Still screws up.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
31-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Am currently road-testing one of these for work:

http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=8312461

Incidentally that product page is blank, Billion 7100S series - have a Google around.

In terms of HUGE feature set, reliability and price/performance they are great.

$120 ish all up includes a filter and all that jazz. There is a 4 port model as well.

zminos
31-08-2004, 10:54 PM
WTF whats the warranty?

as an x DSE staff member the "swap out waranty" is better than what some "computer stores" can offer, so take that into consideration.... not that I'm trying to promote DSE.

try to ask for a "new" warranty for the new part though.

:)

whiskeytangofoxtrot
31-08-2004, 10:56 PM
Pass, depends on the company you buy it from as to whether they will swap it out, or delay.

Realistically I have seen very few ADSL routers die.

Incidentally the Billion router above mentioned has free 0800 support in NZ. I've been playing with this router for about 2 hours now, and am seriously impressed.

http://www.billion.com/product/adsl/bipac7100s.htm

whiskeytangofoxtrot
31-08-2004, 10:58 PM
Gah. Post editing would be so damned useful.

Further to the warranty issue, thats one reason I recommend Ascent and put damn near all my purchases through them. Their service and after-sales follow up with faults etc is first rate.

Growly
31-08-2004, 11:01 PM
Sorry about this being off topic, but maybe should know about the costs involved if you get a bad router...

>try to ask for a "new" warranty for the new part though.

We bought an additional 3 year warranty from DSE. They still couldn't replace it - said they'd have to ship it to the supplier, would take two weeks minimum. So much for "We know how important your network is. The last thing you want is to be left high and dry waiting for a resolution."

leonidas5
31-08-2004, 11:05 PM
I have been using the DSE model mentioned above without any problems at all for nearly 4 months . It has 4 ports and three puters are connected to it at home here. I would recommend it.

Leon

Growly
31-08-2004, 11:26 PM
Set the same thing up for some friends - it works great.

Murray P
01-09-2004, 01:56 AM
I've heard other people say very good things about the Billion routers, no experience of them myself tho. Dynalink fanboy I'm afraid ;)

Cheers Murray P

Mzee
02-09-2004, 08:46 PM
I have a DSE xh1149 Router. Very good and easy to set up.