PDA

View Full Version : Stupid questions. Made comp / not bought.

beetle
30-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Ok

going through the processes of getting some specs, and looking at making one.

a few questions have popped! into the beetle head......sigh.

what do you then call the comp when it is finished? if it is a made one, not a bought branded one? do you call it from the cpu specs or what?

cant be or wont be i say lemon2....

if it is a made up one, same thing applies for OS CD's? as usual.?

software etc?

warrenty's on each seperate part or the whole shamozle?

and another one what colour tower do you have or recomend not to get????

do you have something flashy or not?

this whatever to be made, has got to show its origins, its a beetle machine...:D
not going to be a bland colour, Blue or Black?

any other suitable ideas, or helpful words always considered.

ok let the abuse roll on...

:D

beetle

tommy
30-08-2004, 02:45 PM
Have a look here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=21770&message=58277&q=faq+31#58277) for some information that may help.

KingWave
30-08-2004, 02:51 PM
> what do you then call the comp when it is finished? if it is a made one, not a bought branded one? do you call it from the cpu specs or what?

You can call it whatever you like. If you think it's pretty fast you could call it Beetle's Beast or something. If it's a celeron then you should call it "the POS". Etc. :D

> warrenty's on each seperate part or the whole shamozle?

If you made it yourself with separate parts, then the warranty would be on the individual components.

> and another one what colour tower do you have or recomend not to get????

Beige. It's soo boring.

Rob99
30-08-2004, 02:53 PM
Here's some ideas:

beetle3000 for a AMD3000

beetle2.8 for a P4 2.8

You could even make some stickers for it.

beetle
30-08-2004, 02:54 PM
ROFLMAO.....beetle beast???

its gonna be a made one, not a bought lemon this time......

:D

Thanxs

beetle

Jen C
30-08-2004, 04:04 PM
Hi Beetle

If you are going to choose what motherboard, graphic card, CPU etc you want to have in it, then the computer is called a customised build. But you need to decide what you what to use it for before even looking at computers / components - be realistic though and don't go for the top line stuff if you know that you are only going to be websurfing, using Office, emailing and playing with the odd photo image unless you have money to spare.

I know you got a bad run with your "lemon" computer, but you should be able to have one made for you from a local tech shop and that way they will provide the support locally. If the machine has a problem you only need to return the computer to them, and they will deal with it, or if it is a component warranty issue then they will deal with the supplier themselves. I know of one shop that is local for you which should be ideal. ;)

Have a look at what pre-built systems are already available at the local Computer tech shop (this does not mean Noel Leemings etc), and see if any suit or can form the basis of what you want (eg a different graphic card, bigger HDD etc) and what computer cases they have available - there is a huge range of case colours/styles available and the tech shop should be able give you an idea of what they can supply. This way you can get any specific component you would like, in a case of your choice for a reasonable price and with local support! :)

A real Beetle unique machine! :D

Murray P
30-08-2004, 04:17 PM
> this whatever to be made, has got to show its origins, its a beetle
> machine... not going to be a bland colour, Blue or Black?

Beetle it must be black & blue, avoid yellow at all cost.

As Jen mentions, there is a suitable tech/shop in your area. I hear he's a bit vulnerable at the mo (sensitive new age guy that he is) so have a crack at screwing some goodies out of him, get him while he's down ;) you'll have to be quick though.

How about VW for a name.

Cheers Murray P

R2x1
30-08-2004, 04:39 PM
What to call a computer ? - many words come to mind :O especially when things go a little awry.

Build it with an easily opened case and call it a Beetle Cabriolet perhaps

Or, since it should get you all over the web, A Beetle Taxi

A Custom Beetle?

Colour - what about woodgrain?

R2

beetle
30-08-2004, 05:02 PM
i could get the local sign shop to do a full size (side of tower size) beetle ????

then theres a sure thing no one else would have the same comp anywhere!

LOL

im currently in negotiations with a certain person..... and he knows about as good as me what specs / bits and bobs i need........
or dont as the case may be. cake may help .......

had thought maybe call it racerbeetle.....LOL

dunno

beetle

TerryW
30-08-2004, 05:06 PM
I have gone down the Shuttle path and never looked back; maybe that would be worth a look? Lots of other vendors (MSI, Gigabyte etc) also have their own mini pc's so it depends on what you want to do.

I work a lot with boxes off the shelf (Dell, IBM) and I see no reason why the won't make for a realistic computer; if you aren't going to stuff about building it yourself I would buy one of those over something pieced together by the local tech. Thats just my opinion (learnt from experience) which I am sure many of you folk will disaggre with.....

beetle
30-08-2004, 05:20 PM
My last one was a bought off the shelf, and have never had a moments peice with it,
the other work one was made to order, and no major probs apart from the odd operator trouble, and id use that any day over lemon.

to many friends and relatives have bought off the shelf and made me wary as they all got sent back under warranty.

i wouldnt buy off the local Farmers again as i have had no real satisfaction or help from them, and not inclined to buy off another non pc store where they sell everything else as well and have no knowledge of the machines.

ive learnt enough to say what i dont want,

but not enough to put one together, but trust the local guy well enough for all help needed. and where i fail he will hold the hammer for me......

anyway why get a run of the comp, when im definitetly not a run of the mill type person?
why blend in? i never have so far. :D

go with the flow and all that jaz if ya get my meaning...
why be normal...

whats normal?
:p

beetle

metla
30-08-2004, 06:29 PM
Thought i may as well copy it into here for scutiny.

Just remember this is Wanganui,not Auckland.

anyhow,Beetle im sure will benifit from the advice to be gleaned from these forums.

Quote for Beetle.

I would suggest the basic specs consist of

AMD 2800+ CPU

Nforce 2 Motherboard

Video card as budget allows

512mb Ram

Cheapest option

Midi Case,350w PSU

AMD 2800+ CPU

ECS Nforce 2 Motherboard

Fx5200 Video card

512mb ram

80gb 7200rpm Seagate Harddrive with 5 year warranty

modem

AOC 17F 17" Flat CRT monitor

Asus CRW-5232A, 52x32x52 CD-ReWriter

Keyboard

Optical Mouse

Windows XP Home Edition (SP2)

$1445

Full 2-year warranty.

MS Office can be supplied at cost, price dependent on chosen Office package.

Available upgrades

Full size case with side window $78

Dvd-Writer (8x) $89

9600pro Video card $120

Gigabyte Nforce2 Board $36

Asus Nforce2 Board $90

CMV 17í LCD with 3 year pixel warrenty $440

Alternatively money can be saved by using a board with integrated Video,Reducing the amount of system ram to 256mb,or choosing a less powerful CPU.

And that should just about cover it,I presume you will get quotes from other local companies,It always pays to before making a purchase,Although I canít imagine anyone local getting within $400 of the above prices.

beetle
30-08-2004, 06:47 PM
Now Remember this is For Beetle!

not some yob who is into gaming, graphics or other ????

LOL

way over my head some of it........

but very nice of Metla to help me.

beetle

Shaun Minfie
30-08-2004, 06:54 PM
That sounds pretty good metla.

If I was Beetle I would go for the:

Gigabyte Nforce 2 board

The DVD writer

And the case with the window

I tried a LCD the other day and to be honest fell in hate with it instantly went out and brought a 19" Flat CRT. Maybe thats a good upgrade option as well?

I'd get metla to throw another 512 of ram at it as well.

And just a little OT: good to see you havent run away metla :)

Growly
30-08-2004, 06:59 PM
Can I buy your old lemon off you beetle? :p

metla
30-08-2004, 10:38 PM
>I hear he's a bit vulnerable at the mo (sensitive new age guy that he is)

Not quite,Other peoples opinion of me are of no concern,i'm quite comfertable with the way i do things.

The thread i made was to make a point to the letter writers trying to force Bruce's hand,I believe it worked well and played out exactly as i anticipated.

KatiMike
31-08-2004, 01:49 AM
Yo Bro ;-)

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
31-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Beetle, I don't remember hearing you talk about playing games or anything. I think, if your who I know you as, you shouldn't need another graphics card. Onboard should be fine for you. A Gigabyte motherboard would be good. I believe your best option would be to get everything done up with "the guy down the road" ;-)

Good luck,

beetle
31-08-2004, 06:25 PM
Hey sorry Growly but that ones already spoken for....:p

and yeah im not big on gaming, but wondering if in a bit the kids will be?

thanxs all.

beetle

R2x1
31-08-2004, 09:06 PM
I suppose you could call the new 'puter "Lemon Squeezer" ?

And any colour that is not a slightly green tinged yellow.

R2

beetle
31-08-2004, 09:57 PM
Well since the old one is lemon could call this one peach.....:p

no idea really the thing isnt any further than on paper at the moment.

as long as it goes, and it has no glitchs like lemon it will be thousand times better....

no beetla haka's needed to keep it in line.

beetle

beetle
02-09-2004, 10:03 PM
No other comments?

too late to chicken out now........
:p

beetle

KatiMike
07-09-2004, 01:25 AM
Hi Beetle , think/ fear I might be "flamed " a bit here ...

There have been a few really nice options mentioned ...

I like quiet , cheap 'puters that do the basics OK , as I don't work in a shop , I buy at full retail from Ascent [ ducks ...]

a] Overclockers Elite Tower [ 420W] $88.21
b] Gigabyte GA-8IG1000MK $186.87
c]Intel Cel D 335, 2.8 $227.00
d]Seagate 80G $129.67
e]Panasonic FDD [ black] $24.03
f]Liteon CDRW/dvd rom $100.05
g]Kingmax 256MB DDR 400 RAM $92.26

...and use own OS disk , and screen , mouse etc ... $848.16...

add AGP , more memory , modem [ if not using your own one again , if U have router etc the mobo has a LAN ] etc , but this little unit works for few $$$ ...
And it'll do the goods w.r.t . digital photos ...

See ya :)

R2x1
07-09-2004, 08:17 AM
Just a stupid thought about the subject,
Once this computer is "Built", may we presume it will have to be "Bought". ;)
If not, the queue of bargain hunters outside the supplier"s premises may well become a local landmark.

R2

KatiMike
08-09-2004, 12:49 AM
Hey Beetle , what did U decide on?