PDA

View Full Version : The Big FIX !

Scouse
30-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Well. It's sitting here on my desk, courtesy of PC World and NZ Post.
Which of the many scribes and advisers do I listen to. Get on with it and install or sit on it and wait to see how others get on. Another cup of tea, I think.

CYaBro
30-08-2004, 11:38 AM
Where's your sense of adventure?? :D

Murray P
30-08-2004, 12:05 PM
I you're otherwise patched, have good AV and firewall and have no OS issues that need addressing with SP2, leave it untill you are fairly sure that there is nothing in there that is going mess with your current setup.

2 cents worth.

Cheers Murray P

tommy
30-08-2004, 12:22 PM
If you are able to image your hard drive or Windows partition with Ghost or a similar program you could do so then see how SP2 performs. It would then be a very easy matter to revert back to your current configuration in the event of problems.

Chris Randal
30-08-2004, 12:30 PM
I use 98SE, so please don't shoot me down if my question is seen as dumb.

Would System Restore have the same effect at ghosting?

drcspy
30-08-2004, 12:42 PM
problem with system restore.........i've just returned from doing a 'repair install' of winxp sp1 cause the client had installed sp2 and the system just would only bring up the desktop pic an nothing else........so ...even 'last known good config' woun'dlt work and of course you can only 'easily' get to system restore thru windows itself but windoze was broken.................repair install was tht only other option cause there was no drive image available............IMAGE the drive if you can FIRST it's the best backup you'll ever have

drcspy
30-08-2004, 12:44 PM
it is theoretically possible to run system restore from 'dos' as such in xp but it's difficult heres the info I picked up:

There are a couple of steps to get this to work correctly. Keep in mind this is how I got my laptop back after SP2 crashed it. I took XP Pro back to a restore point a week ago using the following:

- go to recovery console
- type cd \ then enter
- then cd system~1\_resto~1 then enter (if you get an error accessing the folder type cd "System Volume Information")
- type dir then enter
this is going to show you the base folder for the restore points
-type cd _restore {whatever number is listed}
-type dir
when you hit <Enter> it will list all the restore points folders
like rp1,rp2........ we have to see the last restore point to copy
the file from a recent backup. if the restore points have more than
one page then u have keep on hitting the <Enter> key to view the
last restore point folder. You will have to choose the second to the
last option, if it has more than 2 RP's.
- type cd rp {the second to the last restore point no. } (Note :
Example : cd rp9, if rp9 is the second to the last restore point,
where last restore point no.=9 )
- then type cd snaphot
Now the command Prompt will look like this c:\system~1\_resto~1\rp9
\snapshot>
- type: copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32
\config\system OR:
copy _registry_machine_softwarec:\windows\system32\conf ig\software
- then type exit

when your machine reboots it will come to the login screen. Try to login. If you can login great, you may get an error that says Windows cannot accurately apply the license for this computer yada yada Error Code: 0x80090019 or something similar. In my case this was due to SP2 changing the 5 registry hives. To fix this go back to recovery console and perform the following:

At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.

You should then be able to login to the system. This procedure recovers the registry from the repair folder. When you install XP it automatically creates this folder with repair files. After all this you should be back into windows and can start cleaning up the mess left behind.

This whole process took me two days of hair pulling, 4 hours talking to Microsoft second level tech support in a country that is not the US, and tons of searching the net. Hope this helps somebody who gets into the same situation as me.

MTGENIUS

P.S. Microsoft second level support told me on the phone that getting to a restore point from the recovery console is impossible. This procedure works but obviously is not endorsed by MS. Please proceed at your own risk.

tommy
30-08-2004, 12:53 PM
> Would System Restore have the same effect at ghosting?

No. Taking an image of a partition or hard drive means that the entire partition is copied, including all the data, programs, settings, etc, exactly as it is when the image is taken. This means that if you have data files on your partition created or modified since the image was taken, they would be wiped upon a restore of the image unless they are saved onto another partition.
System Restore takes a snapshot of the system but does not include data files in the restore points, only programs and settings. This means that if you have created or modified data files since the last restore point they will remain after a restore.
Although System Restore is often better than nothing it is not always 100% reliable and therefore should not be relied on completely. Taking an image of a partition/hard drive is much safer as long as the user has verified that the image backup works before needing it.
There may be other differences but creating an image with Ghost or a similar program is much more preferable to using System Restore.

Scouse
30-08-2004, 01:06 PM
Wow. Who could not help but be impressed with the effort needed to reestablish a system. My system is patched to the eyeballs. I have Ghost and its various spawnings are on a second hard drive. I really should have nothing to worry about but it has taken me a long time to sit at a stable, happy system. Off out for the rest of the day - the joy of retirement in sunny Nelson. Think about it again later. Thanks folks.

Terry Porritt
30-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Well, I have just installed SP2 from the PCW CD over Win XP PRO without any hiccups. It went very very smoothly. I have automatic updates set, the XP firewall. and virus protection on.

There doesnt seem to be any conflicts so far with Kerio software firewall or AVG.

All programs tested so far are working ok, and most important of all, Live365 Radio Dismuke music from the 20s and 30s is coming through loud and clear :)

Just to be on the safe side I installed on my backup hard drive, freshly backed up using Ghost disk to disk clone.

So next step will be to re-back up original XP onto the backup drive, overwriting SP2, install SP2 on the main working hard drive, and if that goes well, backup the new system to the backup drive again.
(I like to play safely).

Scouse
30-08-2004, 09:25 PM
Belt AND braces. :D

whiskeytangofoxtrot
30-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Oh for the love of God install the damned patch.

Or did I miss the announcement that there is a requirement that every PressF1 user with Windows XP has to create a "Should install WXPSP2 thread"

Shortstop
30-08-2004, 09:49 PM
Just returning to System Restore for a second - the HP Website is recommending installing a download to ensure that System Restore works once SP2 is installed.

Rob99
30-08-2004, 09:57 PM
>Or did I miss the announcement that there is a requirement that every PressF1 user with Windows XP has to create a "Should install WXPSP2 thread"

Oh well I just started mine I also missed the announcement, no one seems interested tho.

Cheers for the reminder

Scouse
01-09-2004, 02:47 PM
Hi folks - and WTF - "Oh for the love of God install the damned patch." I did and after 24 hours looks sweet.

J ZEP
01-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Hi guys, i have only just got my copy of pcw so haven't installed SP2 yet, actually I'm thinking about going the clean install way now, from what others have posted... Anyway a friend just rang and said she had installed it via win. update overnight and is now having probs, sounds like things like dialup problems and can't get into banking sites among other things - i will get a list of things off her later though as she ran out of time. Could this just be the new firewall settings in sp2 maybe? In know she has Nav 2002 which she says isn't showing up in the security place? Also i think she has an Hp system and just read a post directing people to get a patch before installing sp2 on hp systems otherwise "system restore" may not work? Is there a uninstall option in the win update download version of sp2? As i read an older post saying that the cd rc versions added one in add/remove? Just thinking of worst scenario case if she has to remove it and how to do it as i don't have it to look at?

Cheers

dwnz2003
01-09-2004, 06:26 PM
I installed SP2 yesterday. Now Explorer doesnt crash the whole machine, and its so much faster.
THANK YOU SP2