PDA

View Full Version : Suck it in.



metla
29-08-2004, 11:00 PM
well well well,seems those among you that can't handle people with other views who express them frankly have been having a good old letter writing campaign to have me banned.

Nice work,supress everything that doesn't fit your pre-defined view of the world,....and i would guess that i've helped out more people then all of you "letter writers" combined.


Squeeze all the colour out of the world guys,then pat yourselves on the back.

Well,i'll go in the knowledge that i not only helped out a boatload of prople,but provided a laugh or 3,and went toe-to-toe with some of the more arrogant air heards around here who needed a reality check,and in the knowledge that near everytime i rocked your narrow little views that others out there agreed with me.

A big heads up to all the good people that i've run into around here,and a middle finger to those that think whinging untill they get their way is a positive contribution.

Probally the same people who send off a weekly letter to the TV guide.

theother1
29-08-2004, 11:18 PM
It sounds like everyone needs to take a step back and a deep breath. What is this about a letter writing campaign? We don't all need to agree here, but that is going a bit far, isn't it?
Metla has given me some good advice in the short time I haave been a PF1er and I appreciate it. I do think spelling and grammer are important but that is a personal thing.
I have given people a piece of my small mind at times, but only when they get off the topic at hand. Aren't we all adults here?
My tupence worth for what it's worth!!
Rob

KingWave
29-08-2004, 11:22 PM
Well said Metla. Rofl.

Just watch out, the moderators round here like to perform self-aggrandising action simply for the pleasure of exercising control over other people.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
29-08-2004, 11:23 PM
> spelling and grammer are important but that is a
> personal thing.

> My tupence worth for what it's worth!!

Grammar and tuppence - I couldn't not do it.

I concur with metla - there is a hella clique round here of extremely self-righteous people who can't cope with free speech or things that challenge their bounds or views.

Remember kids... the intarweb is serious business.

Chilling_Silence
29-08-2004, 11:26 PM
*Nods head*

Well said Rob :-)

theother1
29-08-2004, 11:31 PM
Thanks WTF.
As I said somewhere "none of us is immune"
R

TonyF
29-08-2004, 11:33 PM
>
- there is a hella clique round
> here of extremely self-righteous people

But surely this is the sort of reaction the Forum does not need. There are indeed a few who fire off a bit stridently, and who maybe ought to take a deep breath before bursting into print.
Ease up, everyone ..
Cheers anyway
Tony

KatiMike
29-08-2004, 11:39 PM
Please don't leave metla
I have little experience here , however have learnt a lot from your posts , and enjoyed you humor .
There will always be " knockers" around , I know nothing of the "letter writer " stuff you mention , I can only summise those who feel threatened by you have chosen to criticize you in another forum , rather than having robust debate [ and been shown to be dim- wits] here .
If you chose to f off they will have won , and you really will be an utter, utter bastard ...
and according to the spell- check thingy here I have spelt summise wrong , sorry ...
Mike

Winston001
29-08-2004, 11:41 PM
I don't want to see Metla go. He is a valuable member.

I do however think that "being frank" and "expressing another view" is a facile excuse, for what is no more than a personal attack.

Why people cannot express their opinions without introducing pejorative and snide personal remarks, is beyond me. After all, the benefit of a forum is that we can consider our responses.

Incidentally, and completely OT, anyone remember Lutha? Dunedin band circa 1970. Piece of music on a TV advert just now off their album.

andrew93
30-08-2004, 12:16 AM
Put me down as another supporter - hang in there metla, I enjoy reading your posts, you are very informed and at times very funny. IMHO nothing wrong with blunt honesty when needed.

the highlander
30-08-2004, 12:23 AM
If there is a pseudo intellectual think tank for the seriously over educated :-, that are trying to axe you from the forum :-| stuff them.
I like to think this forum is like a rugby match, you occasionally clash heads, exchange phone numbers and have a beer together afterwards.
Personally I would be slacked off if you went, not only for the loss of your expertise but also the loss of your entertainment value.
Hang around Metla.

stu120404
30-08-2004, 12:28 AM
> Well,i'll go in the knowledge that i not only helped
> out a boatload of prople,but provided a laugh or
> 3,and went toe-to-toe with some of the more arrogant
> air heards around here who needed a reality check,and
> in the knowledge that near everytime i rocked your
> narrow little views that others out there agreed with
> me.

Good Bye metla it was nice having you around, even if you have a few fight with people.

stu120404
30-08-2004, 12:32 AM
We just need one more person to Bye bye hint WTF then Press F1 can return back to it's happy, friendly place.

KingWave
30-08-2004, 12:43 AM
I think Stu should be banned - he's more annoying than Metla and WTF and anyone else combined.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
30-08-2004, 12:47 AM
> We just need one more person to Bye bye hint WTF then
> Press F1 can return back to it's happy, friendly
> place.

Awww Stu... but who'd be left to teach you how to use something even close to resembling english.

R2x1
30-08-2004, 12:50 AM
No Metla around ? well then it's not really PF1 - the world is a poor enough place without losing the few bright bits. I can think of people I would prefer to grow up a little, but I can't think of anybody I want to see banned. Banning willy -nilly is a bit more of the "they should do this . . " mentality that takes so much colour and progress out of life. I can't recall anyone with a better turn of phrase in a pinch than metla - he's brightened my day often enough, but more would be fine.

zqwerty
30-08-2004, 01:16 AM
How about having an "anything goes thread" that you can enter at your own peril, with a warning to the younger less worldly members.

It could be deleted every couple of days because it will get too long very quickly.

That way people could vent their spleen and have their vendettas without having it spill into the other threads.

A "free-fire" zone, so to speak.

Could be very therapeutic and help to relieve tension.

mikebartnz
30-08-2004, 01:21 AM
Hang in there please Metla you have helped a lot of people here and elsewhere.

Chilling_Silence
30-08-2004, 02:02 AM
Stu:
Grow up dude, that sorta comment isnt warranted!
Metla has provided a valuable contribution to PressF1 and it'd be a real shame to see anything happen to that.

Get over it!

nzStan
30-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

And those who has been sinning - stop it!!!!!1111oneoneone



Good grief, sometimes I think I'm at the NZGames forum and not a Helpdesk forum.

CYaBro
30-08-2004, 10:26 AM
> Probally the same people who send off a weekly letter
> to the TV guide.
Haha!! So true.

Don't leave us metla!

Spencer
30-08-2004, 10:34 AM
> I don't want to see Metla go. He is a valuable
> member.
>
> I do however think that "being frank" and "expressing
> another view" is a facile excuse, for what is no more
> than a personal attack.
>
> Why people cannot express their opinions without
> introducing pejorative and snide personal remarks, is
> beyond me. After all, the benefit of a forum is that
> we can consider our responses.

I agree completely Winston. Yes, Metla does offer good advice but I stick by my comments because rude, immature, bad tempered behaviour and personal abuse have no place here. That side of his behaviour won't be missed if he decides to go. It was my understanding that the Forum had posting standards because the broad age group of PF1 users includes children. Metla may not care about setting examples to young kids but I certainly do.

I posted my considered opinion after following Metla's comments for some time. That is my right and people are free to agree or disagree with those comments as they wish, I don't take offence. However, I fail to understand how a person with so many good attributes could dissolve into even more mucky language and have a bad-tempered hissy fit just because he is taken to task for doing so.

Metla: If people were moved to write to the mods about your behaviour then maybe, perhaps, possibly there is just a faint chance they are right and you are wrong? I wasn't one of them by the way, I said what I wanted to say up front and to your face. You deserved it.

Spence

mark c
30-08-2004, 10:38 AM
I've been away sanding the hull of a friend's yacht.

Horrible job.

Then on the way home a ran over a dog and got a puncture.

I don't know what inspired your post metla, but I too enjoy your humour and your help, so there's a vote of support from me.:D

Scouse
30-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Hi metla. "Well,i'll go." Quick review of this post suggests that your offer to resign is rejected by a large majority. Welcome back.

Murray P
30-08-2004, 12:00 PM
I tend to agree with those who have expressed support for you Metla. Yes you can be blunt at times, you can and do inject some much needed humour and entertainment at times although, the latter two don't necessarily go hand in hand. Your perspective and knowledge from the point of view of a small business and front line tech with the real world adaptive skills that that entails, has provided invaluable input to the forum.

However, I don't really believe that you are that naive not to expect some people to react to your style and deal with it in a way that does not fit with your ideals so, I think you need to look to the title of the thread and apply some serious sucking yourself. I would also be very disappointed in you, and myself for misjudging your character, if you spat the dummy and left the forum voluntarily. Hang in there.

Cheers Murray P

zminos
30-08-2004, 12:05 PM
yep I vote for metla to stay, I might no agree with some of his posts, but that is the right of free speech.

besides metla some people can't take a difference of opinion.

This fourm does not need a bunch of people who all agree on everything! that would be like a bunch of people all wearing black and cutting their hair real short and saying they're non-conformists?

So welcom back sts Metla and try not to flame me again thanks :P

:)

beetle
30-08-2004, 12:14 PM
People do have attitudes, i come accross some amazing ones through work and Metla is really quite mild compared to some.

But really Metla is a Sweetie!!!

he has helped me many a time, with out any exchange of knowledg (LOL yeah right) or my being able to help him....... in any way.

but his knowledge is what would be lost, his unstinting offers for help and his
humour is at times ???? and i also can honestly say i do not always agree with him, but thats know reason to moan and get someone kicked???

Bruce, he is too valued a member to lose,
ignore the moaners and go have a coffee,

Metla is staying.


thanxs sweetie, now back to business.... still waiting on some emails!!!!
price $$$$

patience is not a beetle thing.

sit back relax every one, and have a nice day.

beetle

icyred
30-08-2004, 12:30 PM
okay, here goes

personally I have found some of your posts arrogant and condescending-if I was living in Wanganui I'd use a different techie (if there is more than one in Wanganui, that is). However, that's life-people are different from each other, as much as some people can't cope with that. Your colourful attempts at spelling are always good for some amusement, anyway. To mangle another quote, "As much as I may disagree with what you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it".

nil carborundum illegitimi

icy

Billy T
30-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Hang in there metla, but remember: If you dish it out you have to be prepared to receive it too, so it's no good spitting the dummy if you don't like being taken to task.

Feel the Force, and let the Dark Side die. Nobody here will miss it.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :)

Biggles
30-08-2004, 01:40 PM
1] Metla has NOT been asked to leave.

2] Lighten up the lot of you.

3] King wave - "Just watch out, the moderators round here like to perform self-aggrandising action simply for the pleasure of exercising control over other people."

Oh, I'm just going to let that one ride. There's lots of things I could say, but as I said to Metla, if I spoke my mind, I'd have to ban myself.

But in case you haven't read them the rules are at the top of the home page. And guess what? they're there so everyone can have a stress free time, not because we like to play big bad moderators. I suggest to take a trip to the Clue Shop and buy up a big jumbo size bag of clues because I think you need a few more than you've got.

Topic closed. Move along. Nothing to see.