PDA

View Full Version : MP3 to .midi

Big_Mountain
29-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Hi everyone:

Does any one know any software that can convert mp3 files to .midi files and can do it properly?

I tried some tools but they are aweful, the .midi file converted from mp3 files are very bad quality.

I'm looking for a tool that can do this in a few simple steps and the result is exactly the same as the original mp3 file.

Thanks

chiefnz
30-08-2004, 02:59 PM
As far as I am aware I don't think this is possible.

A midi file contains multiple tracks for each individual instrument being played in the song... sort of like a dedicated channel for each instrument.

An MP3 is a digital stereo track... the instruments on not split so they cannot be separated from each other.

As I have said I"m not quite sure... but from my own music background I don't think what you want to do is actually possible.... but don't quote me on that. My opinion is based on personal eperience... i have tried this before myself with no success whatsoever.

cheers

chiefnz

Graham L
30-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Midi files are effectively instructions to a synthesiser. MP3 files are heavily compressed "images " of the music which the synthesiser would produce. Midi files are much bigger than the corresponding MP3s because they contain lots more information.

The compression is "lossy". It's a one-way trip.

Bazza
30-08-2004, 06:55 PM
I'm wondering what BM is trying to achieve. It seems unlikely that an mp3 can be converted to a midi, exactly the same as the original mp3.

A search on Google for 'mp3 to midi' reveals many options to do this conversion, but who knows what the quality will be.

As Graham says a midi file is just instructions to a synthesiser, or the PC sound card which generates the instrument sounds. As such it is purely instrumental. Some sounds in an mp3 such as vocals are not available.

Graham, can you enlarge on mp3 v midi file sizes? From what I've seen, generally midi files are very much smaller than mp3 files. But are you saying that an mp3 converted to a 'corresponding' midi will be much bigger. Thanks.

Bazza
30-08-2004, 09:45 PM
While waiting for Graham to comment, does anyone have opinions on midi v mp3 file sizes?

I have many of both. For mp3 files, the average size for a 3 minute music track is about 3Mb or more. For a same sized midi track it appears to be less than 100Kb.

Is it different for a corresponding conversion. Would a midi file be many megabytes?

I'd be glad for any confirmation or comments.
Thanks.

fus1_n
30-08-2004, 10:00 PM
mp3's are much bigger than midis because for a few seconds for a midi can be described as:

a a c d a e a e e a

(this is only for exapmle purposes only, no flames please, lol)

but mp3 would look like

+ vP  0* 
dshsdh+p  + fhsfdhsd+p  + vP  sdhsdh0* 
vP  + 00* 
dshsdh+dagdsagsdgsdgdsgdsg dsg fu jfthfdy hfdh dfh dfjfgikjd f fhsfdhsd vP  
dshsdh+fdshdshdassfdhsd vP  0* sdhp 

because it has to store every last little sound, every voltage to the speaker at 44,100? it it? times per second

Ok that didn't help did it.
;) :D

Bazza
30-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Well yes it did Fus, same as my understanding. From my experience file sizes of mp3's are massive compared with midi files.

But I know Graham is very experienced, and I value his opinion. It's just that I am curious to learn his explanation that corresponding midi files are much bigger than mp3 files.

Thanks.

Graham L
31-08-2004, 03:03 PM
There is a technical term for it Bazza: In NASA it's described as a cockup. :D

Was thinking .wav as the sort of format most commonly converted to MP3. :-(

However ... the information in a .midi file causes the synthesiser to create a huge amount of (music or not ;-)) information which when fed to a transducer of some sort comes out as "music". Once music (or other sound) has been MP3d, a lot of the information has been lost. In particular, you don't know what instrument (or combination of instruments) created what level of what frequency.

I suppose it would be possible to create an MP3 channel for MIDI. What it would sound like (especially kept down to the 31 kbps serial data rate of the MIDI standard) might be interesting. I suspect it wouldn't be "of CD standard" or even "AM radio standard".