PDA

View Full Version : burning audio cds with toaster

kiwirik2001
29-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Hi all.

I run FC1 and did the latest update last night. When I try to create an audio cd I get 1 track with no sound on it.

I have tried converting mp3's to wav using both toaster and xmms output plugin, but can get the damn thing to work.

Is there anything obvious I'm doing wrong? n I have read the howto's from the documentation project but that just leaves me baffled.

Its the only thing linux hasnt done easily for me (other than interact with my camera) since i totally ditched windows at xmas.

Please help.

Thank you very much

Richard Morris

Jen C
29-08-2004, 07:32 PM
Hi Richard,

Can you get sound when playing standard audio CD's and not just the ones you burnt yourself?

I found that Toaster was not the most user friendly burning app. Have you seen/heard about K3b (http://k3b.plainblack.com/index.pl/screenshots) which is a nero clone. Very easy to use. You can find RPM's for Core 1 here (http://k3b.xcyb.org/), or if you use apt or yum, have a look here (http://k3b.plainblack.com/index.pl/download).

What sort of problems are you having with your camera? Are you using KDE or Gnome on Core 1?

kiwirik2001
30-08-2004, 12:09 AM
hi there and thanks for your reply. I have tried to download the rpms for k3b but the dependencies are impossible to fullfill. Also I cant find the k3b rpm and yum tell me I am uptodate. got me beggared.

This is the one thing I take linux to task, it is very hard to get something to work first time everytime. I'll just have to keep pluging away at it and hope for the best

Jen C
30-08-2004, 11:39 AM
>Also I cant find the k3b rpm
> and yum tell me I am uptodate. got me beggared.

Are you using the vanilla supplied default yum.conf that came with Core 1? If you are, this is probably why yum cannot find nor solve the dependencies for K3b. It *should* handle this with no problems and make your life easier. :)

First download this yum.conf file from here (http://fedorafaq.org/samples/yum.conf) (right-click on it and choose "save as") to somewhere handy in your /home directory. While it is still in your /home directory, open it up with a text editior and add the following lines at the bottom and then save it:[xcyb-stable]
name=Fedora Core 1 ( xcyborg / stable )
baseurl=http://rpms.xcyb.org/fedora/1/stable/

[xcyb-bleeding]
name=Fedora Core 1 ( xcyborg / bleeding )
baseurl=http://rpms.xcyb.org/fedora/1/bleeding/
To modify your yum.conf you need to be root first. Got to /etc and find yum.conf and make a backup copy of it (eg yum_original.conf). Now copy the downloaded yum.conf into /etc. Next you need to update yum with all the new headers which will be available by running yum update - this may take a while. When it has finished, enter in yum install k3b and it will go off and search for this app. You will see a list of required dependencies that it will also install, so say "y" to those.

> This is the one thing I take linux to task, it is
> very hard to get something to work first time
> everytime. I'll just have to keep pluging away at it
> and hope for the best

If you have your Linux setup to make life easier (eg good yum.conf files) you will find installing/updating packages to be much easier. You may like to also take a look at GYUM (http://fedoranews.org/tchung/gyum/) which is a GUI frontend for yum. This site FedoraNEWS (http://fedoranews.org/) has some excellent Fedora guides and is well worth having a browse through.

You still having problems with your digicam that you would like some help with? Are you using Gnome or KDE?

Jen C
30-08-2004, 10:44 PM
>I run FC1 and did the latest update last night. When I try to create an audio cd I get 1 track with no sound on it.

I just came across this information regarding the 2.6.8.1 kernel and CD burning of audio CD's. Basically as well as getting a memory leak, creating audio CD's under 2.6.8.1 are likey to result in a corrupt file - see here for details (http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/3659).

Seeing as you mention you have fully updated Core 1, I suspect you are now running the Kernel 2.6.8.1-521. You should see this listed on your boot manager (LILO or GRUB), but if you open up a console window and enter in uname -r this will show what kernel you are currently running.

That kernel also causes memory leaks (this is what I got plus my CD writer is only recognised by root now) which lead me to the above link when investigating this issue.

K3b News has this to say:
[quote]
A patch that was introduced into the kernel shortly before the 2.6.8 release makes K3b and also the dvd+rw-tools unusable on Linux (unless run as root but that is not recommended). The very important GET CONFIGURATION MMC command is rejected by the kernel for reasons I cannot see and writing commands like MODE SELECT also fail (K3b cannot detect CD writers without it) even when the device is opened O_RDWR. Until this issue has been solved I strongly recommend to stick to kernel version 2.6.7.

Update: The kernel guys are currently fixing the problem so the next kernel release should work again.
Update 2: The problem is NOT fixed in 2.6.8.1
Update 3: Be aware that kernel 2.6.8 also contains the memory leak which makes it impossible to write audio cds, even as root..
[end quote]

There is a patch available which you can patch and then recompile your kernel manually, but I imagine the kernel guys will be releasing a new kernel version shortly with this fixed.

In the meantime, you can either hang-10 and wait for the new kernel, or boot into an older pre-2.6.8 kernel if one is listed under your boot manager menu.

kiwirik2001
31-08-2004, 12:19 AM
It cant be the kernal which came back as

[root@rick root]# uname -r
2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
[root@rick root]#
[root@rick root]#

I have been trying to get yum to work. I thought yum was the redhat update. (As you can see I am a total newbie.)

When I try entering one of the yum commands like

yum check-update, it does nothing, just goes to the next line but without the [root@rick] at the front.

I have also tried upgrading the conf file but the same thing happens.

Sorry to keep going in circle like this.

Jen C
31-08-2004, 11:43 AM
> It cant be the kernal which came back as
>
> [root@rick root]# uname -r
> 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl

Well that is good then :)

> When I try entering one of the yum commands like
> yum check-update, it does nothing, just goes to the
> next line but without the [root@rick] at the front.

Hmm ... I wonder if yum comes pre-installed with FC1? Nevermind, it is an excellent way of updating and installing packages so I will give you the instructions to get it up and running.

First of all, make a new folder in your /home/{username} directory called "temp". Now download both these RPM's to this folder:
yum-2.0.7-1.noarch.rpm (http://fedoranews.org/tchung/gyum/yum-2.0.7-1.noarch.rpm)
gyum-1.0-1.fc1.noarch.rpm (http://fedoranews.org/tchung/gyum/fc1/gyum-1.0-1.fc1.noarch.rpm)

Now open up a Terminal (Console) Window and change to root (su -). Now you need to navigate to your temp folder:cd /home/{username}/temp [enter]To make sure you are in the right place, enter in ls and you should see both the RPM's you downloaded. Next to install the RPM's, so enter in the console window:rpm -Uvh *.rpmThe * indicates a wildcard so all RPM's within that directory will be installed.

> I have also tried upgrading the conf file but the same thing happens.

How are you editing this conf file? With a Terminal Window (console) open and "su -" to root, enter in nautilus (if you are using Gnome) or konqueror (if you are using KDE) which will open up the file manager but with full root powers. Using this new window, navigate to /etc and find yum.conf. Follow the instructions I gave before and make a backup copy first, and then replace yum.conf with the downloaded version I gave the link to before (don't forget to add those extra lines to it at the bottom). Make sure you keep using this window to navigate to where you saved the downloaded yum.conf to copy it and then navigate back to /etc - if you use a new window, you will lose the root powers that you have. Close the new window once you have finished (ignore the error messages you might see printing in the console window during this).

Now to use yum. One of those RPM's I got you to install is for the Graphical Frontend of YUM which is called gyum as I think you will like this better than using the default command line only yum. Hit ALT-F2 to open up a run command dialog box and enter in gyum - you will then be prompted for root's password. Seeing as this is the first time yum (gyum) has run, you will see a splash screen saying "Please wait ... updating yum cache" - this will take a long time to download all the new headers for the first time so just leave it running. Subsequent uses of gyum will only take a couple of minutes to update the cache each time.

Once yum has updated its cache you will see a box like this (http://fedoranews.org/tchung/gyum/gyum-main.png). Any updates that you would of normally got via RedHats up2date can be found under the update tab, the install tab lists all apps which you can choose to install, and under the remove tab are the apps which you currently have installed and this can be used to uninstall them. You can find full screenshots here (http://fedoranews.org/tchung/gyum/).

To find the app K3b, make sure you are under the install tab and just enter in k3b under search. Once it has found the package, tick the checkbox and then click the Install button. It will go off and sort out the dependencies required (you might need to agree to these first), and then install the app for you. Once you have seen the completed message in the text window, you can exit gyum and then look for the K3b entry under the KMenu or Gnome Menu (probably under Sound & Video) or hit ALT-F2 and enter in k3b.

You can find a tutorial for K3b here (http://fedoranews.org/mweber/multimedia/k3b/) (requires flash).

> Sorry to keep going in circle like this.

Not a problem, please just ask if you get lost or have any problems. :)

kiwirik2001
31-08-2004, 04:39 PM
i tried that by doing this

root@rick home]# cd temp
[root@rick temp]# ls
gyum-1.0-1.fc1.noarch.rpm yum-2.0.7-1.noarch.rpm
[root@rick temp]# rpm -Uvh *.rpm

but the cursor just goes to a solid square at the front of the next line. And does nothing. And it does nothing for an hour or more.

Jen C
31-08-2004, 05:04 PM
> [root@rick temp]# rpm -Uvh *.rpm
>
> but the cursor just goes to a solid square at the
> front of the next line. And does nothing. And it
> does nothing for an hour or more.

Crikey :O

It should only take seconds to install ....

Seeing as you have been using up2date which itself uses the RPM package manager, you *should* be able to install packages manually.

Looking at your console copy & paste's, it does seem that you have made the temp folder under /home and not the /home/{username} directory eg /home/rick/temp. You do have a general user account and are not just using root for every day use?

Try moving the /temp folder to under your user directory and try the install process again. No idea if this will make a difference.

Someone else might have a suggestion to as why RPM is not functionally correctly for you - very strange ?:|

kiwirik2001
31-08-2004, 06:04 PM
tried under user again, but same problem.

should I just upgrade to fedora core 2? i think i read somewher that konqueror has integrated audio cd buring

Graham L
31-08-2004, 06:15 PM
rpm -e yum
rpm -ivvh *.rpm

if the ivvh doesn't work, try

rpm -ivvh --force *.rpm

-e means eliminate the present one.

If you have mc installed (and you should ... it's wonderful) run mc, then just use Enter on a .rpm, file . It will open the file, and give you INSTALL and UPGRADE as options. Enter on INSTALL will install. If it all happns and you can'r see what has happened, Ctrl/O will show you. Ctrl/O gets back. F10 will let you exit.

kiwirik2001
31-08-2004, 07:17 PM
sorry for the long post but this is what i got

[boss@rick boss]$ cd temp
[boss@rick temp]$ rpm -e yum
error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted (1)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
[boss@rick temp]$ rpm -ivvh *.rpm
D: ============== gyum-1.0-1.fc1.noarch.rpm
D: Expected size: 26975 = lead(96)+sigs(180)+pad(4)+data(26695)
D: Actual size: 26975
D: gyum-1.0-1.fc1.noarch.rpm: MD5 digest: OK (3ad53283ce7499bcb5b2c93f28e284bd)
D: added binary package [0]
D: ============== yum-2.0.7-1.noarch.rpm
D: Expected size: 133762 = lead(96)+sigs(180)+pad(4)+data(133482)
D: Actual size: 133762
D: yum-2.0.7-1.noarch.rpm: MD5 digest: OK (6d2006d09b3873575ad413dae4ce7de4)
D: added binary package [1]
D: found 0 source and 2 binary packages
D: opening db index /var/lib/rpm/Packages rdonly mode=0x0
D: locked db index /var/lib/rpm/Packages
D: ========== +++ gyum-1.0-1.fc1 noarch-linux 0x0
D: opening db index /var/lib/rpm/Depends create mode=0x0
D: opening db index /var/lib/rpm/Basenames rdonly mode=0x0
D: opening db index /var/lib/rpm/Pubkeys rdonly mode=0x0
D: read h# 1461 Header sanity check: OK
D: ========== DSA pubkey id b44269d04f2a6fd2
D: read h# 1481 Header V3 DSA signature: OK, key ID 4f2a6fd2
D: Requires: /bin/bash YES (db files)
D: read h# 13 Header V3 DSA signature: OK, key ID 4f2a6fd2
D: Requires: /sbin/chkconfig YES (db files)
D: read h# 1637 Header V3 DSA signature: OK, key ID 4f2a6fd2
D: Requires: /sbin/service YES (db files)
D: Requires: config(gyum) = 1.0-1.fc1 YES (added provide)
D: opening db index /var/lib/rpm/Providename rdonly mode=0x0
D: read h# 1549 Header V3 DSA signature: OK, key ID 4f2a6fd2
D: Requires: libxml2-python YES (db provides)
D: read h# 340 Header V3 DSA signature: OK, key ID 4f2a6fd2
D: Requires: pygtk2 >= 2.0 YES (db provides)
D: read h# 74 Header V3 DSA signature: OK, key ID 4f2a6fd2
D: Requires: python YES (db provides)
D: read h# 77 Header V3 DSA signature: OK, key ID 4f2a6fd2
D: Requires: rpm >= 0:4.1.1 YES (db provides)
D: read h# 188 Header V3 DSA signature: OK, key ID 4f2a6fd2
D: Requires: rpm-python YES (db provides)
D: Requires: rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1 YES (rpmlib provides)
D: Requires: rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1 YES (rpmlib provides)
D: Requires: yum >= 2.0.7 YES (added provide)
D: ========== +++ yum-2.0.7-1 noarch-linux 0x0
D: Requires: /bin/bash YES (cached)
D: Requires: /bin/sh YES (db files)
D: Requires: /bin/sh YES (cached)
D: Requires: /bin/sh YES (cached)
D: Requires: /sbin/chkconfig YES (cached)
D: Requires: /sbin/service YES (cached)
D: Requires: /usr/bin/python YES (db files)
D: Requires: config(yum) = 2.0.7-1 YES (added provide)
D: Requires: libxml2-python YES (cached)
D: Requires: python YES (cached)
D: Requires: rpm >= 0:4.1.1 YES (cached)
D: Requires: rpm-python YES (cached)
D: Requires: rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1 YES (cached)
D: Requires: rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1 YES (cached)
D: closed db index /var/lib/rpm/Pubkeys
D: closed db index /var/lib/rpm/Depends
D: closed db index /var/lib/rpm/Providename
D: closed db index /var/lib/rpm/Basenames
D: closed db index /var/lib/rpm/Packages
D: ========== recording tsort relations
D: Requires: yum >= 2.0.7 YES (added provide)
D: ignore package name relation(s) [0] libtermcap -> bash
D: ignore package name relation(s) [1] modutils -> vixie-cron
D: ignore package name relation(s) [2] ypbind -> yp-tools
D: ignore package name relation(s) [3] ghostscript-fonts -> ghostscript
D: ignore package name relation(s) [4] libgnomeprint15 -> gnome-print
D: ignore package name relation(s) [5] nautilus -> nautilus-mozilla
D: ignore package name relation(s) [6] tcl -> postgresql-tcl
D: ignore package name relation(s) [7] arts -> kdelibs-sound
D: ignore package name relation(s) [8] pango-gtkbeta-devel -> pango-gtkbeta
D: ignore package name relation(s) [9] XFree86 -> Mesa
D: ignore package name relation(s) [10] compat-glibc -> db2
D: ignore package name relation(s) [11] compat-glibc -> db1
D: ignore package name relation(s) [12] pam -> initscripts
D: ignore package name relation(s) [13] initscripts -> sysklogd
D: ========== tsorting packages (order, #predecessors, #succesors, tree, depth)
D: 0 0 1 0 0 +yum-2.0.7-1
D: ========== successors only (133834 bytes)
D: 1 1 0 0 1 +gyum-1.0-1.fc1
D: installing binary packages
D: opening db index /var/lib/rpm/Packages rdonly mode=0x42
error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
D: closed db index /var/lib/rpm/Packages
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted (1)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
[boss@rick temp]$ rpm -ivvh -force *.rpm
-force: unknown option

Jen C
31-08-2004, 07:37 PM
You need to be root to install packages. The $ symbol at your console prompts show that you are still a user and not root. Root prompts have a # symbol.

The --force switch has two -'s infront of it. Really shouldn't need to force simple yum package tho ....

I think Graham made a typo too with his command, there is no need to have 2 v's in that command.

The switches mean:
U : upgrade (safe to use even when you are installing rather than upgrading a package)
v : verbose (tell me what is happening)
h : hash ## symbols, use these to show the install progress
e : erase (or uninstall)
i : install
force : force this install/remove and ignore any squealing from the RPM mananger about dependencies or other errors

Those switches are case sensitive too. Because "force" consists of more than one letter, you use the double -- infront of it, while all the others only require a single -.

kiwirik2001
31-08-2004, 09:42 PM
whe i do it under su, nothing happens

just stops and goes no further

Jen C
31-08-2004, 10:06 PM
>I think Graham made a typo too with his command, there is no need to have 2 v's in that command.

Oops :8} - just did some reading and found out about the 2 v's options. Shame on me for suggesting Graham had made a typo :p. A double vv means you get a even more verbose output and the lines starting with D: have been added by the -vv option. Learn something every day. :D

Anyway, back to your problem ...

>whe i do it under su, nothing happens
>just stops and goes no further

It is really puzzling that you can try and use rpm as user, but it won't work as root?! Stumped now.

kiwirik2001
31-08-2004, 10:19 PM
me too. and i thought it was just me. now i am looking at other distros cause all i want is to burn mp3s to audio cd easily.

really i want to have windows/nero but without either. the other thing is an easy way to mount a usb device like a digital camera. again windows has the edge there.

but i wont go to windows cause i remember all to well how unstable it was and love the fact that my computers currently has an uptime measured in months (since the last power cut).

oh well, maybe fedora 3 has something to offer me so might have to wait.

thank you for your help

Jen C
31-08-2004, 10:42 PM
It could be possible that the RPM app has been corrupted. You can do a repair of Fedora Core 1 by using the install disc and selecting upgrade as the install option which will do the same as a repair. Fedora Core 3 is slotted to be released the 25th of October if you wish to wait for that.

Other than that, you could try a different distro. Yoper (http://www.yoper.com/) is lovely and easy to use. It already comes with K3b installed and adding packages is easy to do with synaptic. If you are on Jetstream, you can grab the latest ISO off the JSG realm at the uncapped speed without encroaching on your data limit as well, make sure you log onto the jetstreamgames realm first - ftp://ftp2.jetstreamgames.co.nz/pub/dist/yoper/

You should be able to plug in your USB digicam lead, and then use the Digital Camera Tool (gtKam) to download your images. It does support quite a few cameras. What brand is yours?

kiwirik2001
31-08-2004, 10:49 PM
camera is a panasonic lcm20

might try and find the disks and try the reinstall. thank you

Graham L
01-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Me? Make a typo? :O
Nevvver. :D Well, hardly ever. But certainly sometimes. ;-)

I use the [v]vv[/b]erbose option when I'm using the command line rather than mc. Just habit -- it's programmed into my fingers. By the look of that output, rpm did everything correctly ... except doing it as a user. :D The going off into the weeds when run by root is extremely odd. rpm is very well tested code.

It looks very much as if the dependencies are being handled now to conform to the --aid option. The macro to look up and resolve the dependencies has been around for a while.

kiwirik2001
01-09-2004, 10:42 PM
huh?

non spraken zie geekspeak

Graham L
02-09-2004, 04:18 PM
That was meant for Jen, who is geek enough to read the man pages. :D

If you want to see if your camera is supported,
gphoto2 --list-cameras | less
(with the right number of hyphens ;-)) will tell you. The "| less" will give it to you a page at a time ... the list is long. ("q" exits from that).