PDA

View Full Version : OT - Why are the Oz Olympians so much better?

Steve_L
29-08-2004, 10:57 AM
For a country of around 18 million people, infested with poisonous critters and mostly dry sand and dust, Australia must be the best country in the world, per capita, for getting Olympic medals. I heard someone say that after the Montreal Olympics where Oz got zippo nada nil medals, they started an institute of sport or whatever, and that has made all the difference. Is this true? Do we have a similar Olympic Sporting Insitute or is little old NZ just too poor or stupid to produce more medal winners?

BTW, for our tiny size I reckon we still do mighty fine. Aside from the likes of Sarah Ullman, e.g..... although our men and women basketballers did not place, they sure gave a good run against some world class teams, and I believe Beatrice came 7th in the discus, etc.

c_sinclair
29-08-2004, 11:04 AM
I think its more of a financial reason...

Australia can afford to tell their athletics to train every day for a year or more till the games and pay them $$ to live...while they train..

here, i reckon they have to juggle work and training...as we dont have that much $$

i know we can do better, and i think there is a sport insitute, if not..we need one..badly!!

at least theres a start with a world international standard velerdrome being built in invercargill...so lets hope that starts something...(cant work out why invercargill though)

Would be great to have a swimming one...coz rowing is well, biking too..swimming we needa work on that...

Baldy
29-08-2004, 11:12 AM
NZ was in 3rd place (per capita)

A damn fine effort by our Olympic team. Although they never came home with masses of medals (and I don't think anyone expected them to) they still finished high in the rankings, posted personal best times and competed with dignity and without the aid of a syringe or pill.

c_sinclair
29-08-2004, 11:14 AM
and if the rowers had that bit more energy we could have had 7 gold... (missed 4 in rowing) and the fouhy/ferguson came 4th..

i reckon we did damn good...just a bit of a shame they dont get medals for trying...

btw on the olympic note..whens the closing ceromony and what time?

Baldy
29-08-2004, 11:16 AM
>
> i know we can do better, and i think there is a sport
> insitute, if not..we need one..badly!!

There are 4 sports institutes (Auk, Well, ChCh, Dunedin)

> at least theres a start with a world international
> standard velerdrome being built in invercargill...so
> lets hope that starts something...(cant work out why
> invercargill though)

Simple. Because the community got behind it and raised the money and got the sponsors. Any other city could have done similar, but Invercargill seems to be more community orientated

c_sinclair
29-08-2004, 11:18 AM
never go to invercargill when the southern sting play...arrgh lol
seems to be all they talk about...

didnt know there were 4? i only knew of the insitute or sport in chch which is where u get qualifications in sports careers...

stu120404
29-08-2004, 12:36 PM
> btw on the olympic note..whens the closing ceromony
> and what time?

It will be on tomorrow morning NZ Time, Not too sure about the time, I think it says in the TV guide it starts about 4.15am But You may want to check that in the TV guide & on the TVNZ website keyword Olympians.

stu120404
29-08-2004, 12:44 PM
> > btw on the olympic note..whens the closing
> ceromony
> > and what time?
>
> It will be on tomorrow morning(Monday) NZ Time, Not too sure
> about the time, I think it says in the TV guide it
> starts about 4.15am But You may want to check that in
> the TV guide & on the TVNZ website keyword
> Olympians.

Greg S
29-08-2004, 01:13 PM
I reckon it also has a lot to do with climate - the fact that Aus has such great weather means it's a heck of a lot more comfortable to train outdoors. Cricket is a good example

macpen
29-08-2004, 01:52 PM
just hearsay mind you but I've heard or read somewhere that Aussie has a main academy for all sports whereas NZ has many, each dedicated to a particular sport Anyone else heard of this?

truly it is a surprise that Aussie hasn't claimed our medal winning athletes as their own as has happened in the movie and music fields.

macpen

Steve_L
30-08-2004, 09:34 PM
We are 7th overall....while Oz is 9th.
Found via Google:

Olympic Medal Rankings, all years - population based
** Athens not counted.**

1 Finland
2 Sweden
3 Hungary
4 Norway
5 Denmark
6 Bulgaria
7 New Zealand
8 Switzerland
9 Australia
10 Estonia
11 Cuba

These rankings are designed to take into account 2 features….

a) rather than counting medals as single items, we have placed a value on medals -
thus a gold medal is worth 10 points, a silver medal worth 3 points and a bronze is worth 1 point.
So we firstly convert all medal tallies using our points system.

b) then we divide the nations points total by its population to get its Adjusted Points Total (APT).
And this provides us with our standard for ranking the world's Olympic nations.

Winston001
30-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Does it really matter? There were something like 202 countries represented at the Olympics. Most athletes and their countries scored no medals at all.

The Aussies do seem to have an ability to perform above the average. Maybe it is their Sports Institute, maybe they really are the lucky country. ;)

We still live in Godzone! Well done Kiwis.