PDA

View Full Version : Linux/BSD install

Megaman
29-08-2004, 09:57 AM
Hi everyone

I've decided to give *nix another go. Mandrake 8 dosen't want to work, so I've decided to try another distro. The thing is that it's a very old (10 year) computer, and as such the floppy and CD drives are f---ed. The Hard Drive is new, as is the network card, so i'm assuming i could do a network install, but how? I know it would depend on the distro, so can anyone recommend a distro that would run on

AMD 166mhz
32mb RAM
40GB h/d
Genuis 10/100 GF100TXR4 network card

and can be installed over a network without being booted from a CD or floppy first?

Thanks, MM

Dolby Digital
29-08-2004, 10:52 AM
Does an pc from the mid to late 90's recognise a 40GB hard drive? One of my P3's snubs its nose at a 40GB hard drive (technical term: won't even boot).

I have to say I've never tried a network install, but I presume you either boot from a floppy (which is probably the easiest) or cd, or have a network card with a boot rom on it.

Dolby Digital
29-08-2004, 10:55 AM
You would be pushing it to run one of the latest distro's on that configuration. Vector Linux would go ok though.

Megaman
29-08-2004, 11:20 AM
The thing is, it'll only read factory burned CDs (Silver ones)

ilikelinux
29-08-2004, 12:12 PM
do you mean that it only reads cd's that have silver on the under side of where you write, because if that is the case, i do have some of those...

Dolby Digital
29-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Some of my older cd-rom's seem to suffer a similar problem. What about the floppy. If you boot linux from the floppy, load the network driver for your network card, mount the network share with the linux images and away you go... err... it is possible... I've just never done it. Can't you "borrow" a younger cd-rom?

ilikelinux
29-08-2004, 12:15 PM
> Some of my older cd-rom's seem to suffer a similar problem. What about the floppy. If you boot linux from the floppy, load the network driver for your network card, mount the network share with the linux images and away you go... err... it is possible... I've just never done it. Can't you "borrow" a younger cd-rom?

thats the problem, his post says the the floppy disk drive doesnt work.

Graham L
29-08-2004, 03:11 PM
The easiest way is to "lend" it a CD and a floppy. I've got RH9 on a P166. It's had more memory added, but it had 32MB when I installed it. But don't expect to run the Gnome or KDE GUIs with 32MB.

The variious remote installations work well, but you have to be able to boot a minimal kernal to do it. I've even installed from a SCSI tape.
The FMs tell you how to do it.

Since you have had insuperabb\le problems with Mandrake, I suggest you read the FMs.;-) There are a lot on any installation CD set. There are whole books available free at the LDP site. The HOWTOsare available online. Libraries have books.

Megaman
29-08-2004, 06:53 PM
> The easiest way is to "lend" it a CD and a floppy

Another problem. The only other computer we have in our house is the good one. Somehow I don't think the parents would like me ripping it apart :p. So is there someone (In christchurch) that has a floppy drive I can borrow?

Gorela
29-08-2004, 07:47 PM
As Graham said "lend it a CDrom and/or floppy drive." The easiest way is to disconnect the ide cables from the good computer and connect them to your older computer. ;)

This means that it is only necessary to remove the side cover rather than ripping the parents new baby apart.

Hopefully the old computer boots from CD so that you can avoid the problems associated with ftp or nfs installs.

HTH

Graham L
30-08-2004, 04:20 PM
Have a look in Molten Media, 190 Wordsworth St. They'll probably have a cheap floppy for you. ComputerBroker near the railway station might too.