PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop 6.0 icons slowing XP's windows explorer

mikep
28-08-2004, 11:28 PM
After installing Photoshop 6 and setting it to be the default viewer for .jpg files, the explorer interface runs really slow when viewing files within folders when the folder is set to show the contents as a list. I tried to set the file viewer default back to Picture & fax viewer, but the Photoshop icons still remain and this grunty newish system seems slower than a 486 when viewing folders with any more than 100 photos.

How can I restore the default again so the icons return back to Windows Picture & Fax viewer, and i can browse my thousands of photos again?

Before any wise crack says try system restore, dont bother, I have had this setting for a long time and my system restore points don't go back far enough.

Rob99
28-08-2004, 11:41 PM
See here (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/file_type_change.jpg), post back if you need better instructions

mikep
29-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Thanks for your concern, but you obviously didn't read all that I had written in my post. I had already tried that and it didn't work.

Changing the default viewer DOES NOT change the file icons and the folder view remains as if nothing changed, still slower than a wet week. The jpg files still have the photoshop icons.

mstuart
14-03-2005, 06:02 PM
Hi,

I had the same problem and was driving me crazy...

Here's how I solved it:

1. Click Start-run...
2. in the run cmd box, type: regedit
3. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg
4. In the Right pane, (Default) should be: Photoshop.JPEGFile
Modify it to be: jpegfile
5. Navigate further down to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\DefaultIcon
6. In the Right pane, (Default) should be: shimgvw.dll,3
Modify it to be: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{00010409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}\PEicons.exe,5

Then just enjoy the lightning quick speed :badpc: