PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to get SP2 for someone on Dial up?

beetle
28-08-2004, 06:20 PM
:|

Apart from the fact im not entirely sure i want it on the lemon, cos i can see a major ^%$# @ up going to happen, and i am sick to death of Auto updates saying updates ready to install / download etc.

i was hoping to wait for the disk, off PC world mag.

but dont know if i want to tempt fate..........

as i have issues before with restore, should i just bite the bullet and download it? does it take ages?
cant remember anyone saying how long it took them?

is it a major ? should i put this on or not at this stage????

im not anywhere near ready for linux, so dont suggest it.

i do use alternative browsers. and want to get away from OE but havent found anything i like yet.

is it wise for me to worry ? panic about this ? this machine has issues with anything, and im 99% positive it will react badly to SP2.

:(

need someone to hold my hand i guess.... just not the hammer hand :D

beetle

Spacemannz
28-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Yep it does takes ages. I downloaded the 266mb network install. It took 16-17 hours on 56k using a download manager. Had to leave the PC on overnight.

SP2 installed fine on these 2 computers. BOTH of them have it installed ATM. No prob at all. I dont use XP's firewall, so I turned it off. I use Norton Internet Security.

Umm, depends if you trust it or not. I would say most of the computers that have probs, once SP2 is installed are ones you buy. Or it may even be hardware that is too old, or not compatible.

These 2 I made from scratch, and never had probs with SP1, or 2.

Not much diff really only maybe a better firewall, support for better wireless networking and bluetooth...And a few extras added in somewhere. I haven't got any of the programs MS say may not work with SP2. So, I'm safe for now. If you were in Mt Eden you could come over and get a copy....save you downloading it.

theother1
28-08-2004, 06:31 PM
I have just installed SP2 from the PC World disk. Went away and did something else while it did its thing. All OK so far. Just follow the instructions in the Mag.
I must say all the doom on the other thread has me a bit scared though.
Rob

tommy
28-08-2004, 06:32 PM
It has been mentioned here that the August PC World has an article and "How To" on SP2 so I would suggest you wait for that and read it. It will also be much easier to install SP2 from the CD rather than download it.

Jim B
28-08-2004, 06:37 PM
> i was hoping to wait for the disk, off PC world mag.

What is the problem with waiting for the disk, only a couple of days away, sooner if you are a subscriber.
Why would you want to go to the trouble of downloading it.

beetle
28-08-2004, 06:46 PM
yeah i know.

cos the last mag i got did nt come with the disk and had to wait a week or two, and as i dont always see the mags in my area - the shops i freguent may be at least another week before i get to them to check....

i was just asking, isnt that what pf1 is for?

thanxs

beetle

icyred
28-08-2004, 06:58 PM
I downloaded it Thurs thru dialup-took about 5-6 hours all up for the 80-odd MB d-load. The greatest issue I had was with making sure the connection stayed open-I thought I had auto disconnect turned off, but seemed like every time I left the computer I'd come back and it had disconnected and restarted (this was during the day, when I had other things to be doing as well) However, when I got to sit down at night, doing other things on computer and periodically monitoring the download, it proceeded at a reasonable clip-the 35 odd MB that I still had to go took about 2 hours, and went ahead while I did other things (mainly consisting of monitoring PF1, if I remember rightly :D). Has worked fine since then-no problems apparent. If you've got the time to monitor it, and got other things to do simultaneously, go for it is my advice

cheers

icy

DUNK
29-08-2004, 12:39 AM
I wouldn't bother...Let it "soak"
for a month or two...This info. gleaned
from 'Fred Langa' of 'Langalist' fame
I take notice of this guy....!
Rightly or wrongly....
He's never given bad advice..IMO !!
M$ themselves respect his advice...WMDYW !
Regards.

R2x1
29-08-2004, 07:28 AM
"If it ain't broken, don't fix it." - oops - hey - this is Win XP we're talking about. :O
If you don't find wrestling with Windows to be your favourite pastime, just to get it working the way you had it set-up recently, then wait a while. Soon, all the patches, revisions, hot-fixes, and other gimcrackery will make it worthwhile to get the whole 5 CD set (in the collectors edition).
And, by the way, apparently Windows 3.x and Win 95 are out of Beta now, because patches and upgrades are not neccesary ;)
However, back to the subject question, if you have a slow connection, get someone to fax you the whole code section, then type it all in :p. With a bit of luck and some strong drink, you will get enough errors in the transcribing to counteract the mistakes in the original pack, and hopefully wind up not changing a thing.

]:)

R2

pulling hair out
29-08-2004, 08:22 AM
>However, back to the subject question, if you have a slow connection, get someone to fax you the whole code section,
>then type it all in . With a bit of luck and some strong drink, you will get enough errors in the transcribing to counteract
>the mistakes in the original pack, and hopefully wind up not changing a thing.

huh?? what code section?? have I missed reading one of the posts or what?

Part of me wants to get the whole thing out of the way,over and done with.
Another part just wants another coffee and smoke while I check up the % of posters who have difficulties. God I'm pathetic.

Marg.

theother1
29-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Yep, I agree Marg, you are.
Just get the disk follow the instructions in the mag and Do It!
So far the only problem I have encountered is that my saved passwords for PF1 disappeared and I had to ask pf1 what they were.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
29-08-2004, 02:49 PM
... order it through Microsoft! (free!)

Vince
29-08-2004, 04:13 PM
> So far the only problem I have encountered is that my
> saved passwords for PF1 disappeared and I had to ask
> pf1 what they were.

You should use Password Safe; a utility that stores your passwords encrypted. You only need to remember the one that opens the safe and you can never loose them. It also creates random passwords that are hard to crack. It was on a cover CD I think. Vince

Laura
29-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Yes, I know this is obvious to many PF1ers, but I haven't seen it mentioned it yet -

PC World subscribers should've received their mags/disks by now (unless they have mail hold-ups) - delivered on the 28th as the info on this page says..

Mine arrived in my Dunedin box yesterday & I was impressed, having assumed South Islanders might be a day later.

And as I don't have XP, I'll be giving it to a friend. I'll also advise her to wait for a while before installing, as recommended by Fred Langa & many others. Press F1 threads alone show that although some of you have had no problems, others found they had much to fix up later.
Novices should let the experts analyse the traps, before having a bash - unless of course they like living dangerously..?

robc
29-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Thanks for that Vince. I actually could remember but it wasn't accepted by PF1.
I have two accounts, Robc and theotherone, and neither username was recognised along with its password, so I don't know if it was due to SP2 or some other problem.
Anyway, the problem continues as the pword for theotherone wouldn't work when I logged on just now.
Rob

theother1
29-08-2004, 07:09 PM
I have reset it again, it will be interesting to see what happens when I call back again

theother1
29-08-2004, 07:11 PM
Guess it helps if you remember what your username is. Doh!!!!!