PDA

View Full Version : Best Anti Virus Software?

KiwiCJ
28-08-2004, 01:06 PM
I know there is heaps of past stuff on Press F1 on this topic but I have reviewed it and can't see a conclusion. Perhaps even as a result of this question there won't be one because everyone has their favouite anti-virus solution.

I have NAV 2002 which I re-subscribed to in 2003 and the sub has just run out. I was thinking of subscribing again over the net (about NZ$51). Then I thought I might buy NAV 2004 from Dick Smith's to get an up to date version. Then I see gtr676's post this morning and problems he/she has been having with NIS 2004. Then I see replies to gtr676 and people talking about the great experience they have had with free AV solutions.

So I am confused. Will renewing my NAV 2002 in 2004 give me the same sort of result as buying NAV 2004? Given that I have used NAV for 2 years without problem, a simple internet update/renew sub approach is appealing.

Please give me a steer and put me out of this misery.

metla
28-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Norton is not garenteed to break,by saying that even though imo it sinks its claws far to deep into your operating system for the vast majority of people it works without fail.

Problems tend to only arise when it breaks,because when it breaks it breaks big time.

I wouldn't infect any comp with its tendrils,Its a resource hog,can bring instability,is loaded with unwarented bells and whistles that don't do their job.A problem with norton affects your entire computer.

Bah....worst.software.ever.

Best value for money is AVG.

The most highly rated is Nod32,Not only does it outperform every other anti-virus program,you won't notice it running.

andrew93
28-08-2004, 01:27 PM
Nortons has some serious compatibility issues with some of the older versions of Windows, see here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241234), here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296495), here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;229115) and here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;227309). Plus NAV has problems withe msgsrv32 Windows programme. I'm sure I could find more articles if I tried harder. If Nortons couldn't get the basics right then, what chance have they got now?

Read the other thread that states "I wish I hadn't installed nortons". Ever since I dumped NAV I have not had any unexpected hangs & crashes since. Best thing I ever did.

Anti-virus protection is just one part of a larger security issue - I recommend AVG anti-virus, Zone Alarm, Spybot and Ad-Aware et al.

But this is all just my opinion (50 cents worth?) :D

andrew93
28-08-2004, 01:29 PM
> Plus NAV has problems
> withe msgsrv32 Windows programme.

I think I just invented a new word : withe = "with the"

:D

nzStan
28-08-2004, 01:31 PM
AVG full stop. Do it.

That is all :)

mark c
28-08-2004, 01:34 PM
>>Anti-virus protection is just one part of a larger security issue - I recommend AVG anti-virus, Zone Alarm, Spybot and Ad-Aware et al.

I agree with that package. exactly what I use coupled with an alternative browser (Opera). :)

(Though that stroppy kiki said some time ago it was a newbies's package. I was quite put out. :O)

Billy T
28-08-2004, 02:11 PM
> I have NAV 2002 which I re-subscribed to in 2003 and
> the sub has just run out. I was thinking of
> subscribing again over the net (about NZ$51).

Subscription for NAV 2003 is $NZ34.40. I would have thought 2002 would be the same?

Despite negative comments from some users, I have never had a problem with NAV.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Rob99
28-08-2004, 02:37 PM
> I think I just invented a new word : withe = "with the"

Do you mind if I use your new word from time to time :)

As mentioned NOD is the best.
Next best as it is free AVG.

Baldy
28-08-2004, 03:20 PM
I use NAV2003 and with absolutely no probs.

Metla, whats wrong with something sinking its tendrils in deeply? I thought that was the whole idea of an scanner. You say that NOD is the best rated anti-virus, I recently read that Panda was. Suppose it goes to show that everyone has a differing opion. Even the magazines and thier reviewers.

Which takes us back to the advise requested in this thread. I don't think there will ever be a difinitive answer. Everyone seems to have their own favourites and opinions

Baldy:-)

Neil McC
28-08-2004, 03:52 PM
I've had Nortons "break " on me,so now won't touch it!!Have been using the free Avast program for a couple of months,after trying out AVG,which I've installed on a friends pc.Only trouble with that is she has to remember to update it when she goes on line.This morning I have downloaded the Nod 32 trial to give it a go.Just done a system scan ,took under 5 minutes.Tried it on my external hd,that took under 2 mins.Avast and AVG take over an hour to do a system scan.And Nortons took near that as well.I'm seriously thinking of paying for the Nod!
There's an NZ site where you can pay for it. $62.00 plus GST for one year.And while I'm typing this I've been doing another system scan and moving around in different screens,opening different files with only a little slow down.Taking the scan time up of course,but I can't do this with the others I've tried.They just lock up everything.I am impressed.That took 6 minutes then.

tweak\'e
28-08-2004, 03:55 PM
everyone has their favorites and every testing seems to have different results.

i've used nortons since 2000 (new ver each year) and one thing always seems to stay the same.....every now and then nortons dies :(. at the moment its disabled and i have AVG free running as main antivirus.

generally speaking 2002 with a new subsciption is not as good as 2004 as your useing the old 2002 engine not the 2004 one which is desighned to beat the newer viruses.

have a look at the cost of AVG pro. i think its about the same as the sub for nortons and you get 2 years sub complete with free upgrades.

FeuerBrennt
28-08-2004, 05:49 PM
Norton AV Pro 2004 is the best for me. Expire on 8/10/2005 All virus definitions, etc up-to-date...:)

mikebartnz
28-08-2004, 06:29 PM
Nod32 is the best one but you have to pay. There is a site I will hunt down when I'm in Windows which gives the detection rate of most of them and Nod32 came out tops.
If you are going to pay for one you might as well get the best.

beetle
28-08-2004, 06:41 PM
Whats Best?

Best for who?

someone with no budget? someone who is a noob? someone who doesnt need screeds of input into it?
something that you set and forget?

if you can afford it, re subscribe, if not try a free one. there are some good ones out there.

I like AVG

only because my budget does not stretch to NAV.

one day i may trial it.

do what you are comfortable with.
Its your system, and you have to feel safe, from all the greebies, and know how to control it.

beetle

Augustus
28-08-2004, 07:30 PM
I use Panda - no problems - great program!

godfather
28-08-2004, 07:48 PM
The best is, and will always be, the one that has the most recent definitions released by the maker, and applied by the user.

Everything else is relative to these basic principles.

Spacemannz
28-08-2004, 08:01 PM
I wouldnt trust AVG to remove viruses if found. Seen a lot of people complain about it finding something BUT not being able to put it in the vault. Nortons is OK. For trojans, I use Trojan remover. This scans the registry/most known places that trojans dump their commands in the registry, and folders for trojans worms and adware/spyware.

As of the latest version it also resets homepages, and policy restrictions that have been affected by adware/spyware. And you can also now schedule it thru Windows task Scheduler so it updates when u add a certain time etc to the Scheduler.

It also wont be affected if certain trojans disable AV programs. As it has an exe in it's folder, which changes randomly, everytime u run it. This is to stop it from being affected by malicious process killers. Its not free tho. BUT you can use it for 30 days.

andrew93
28-08-2004, 11:36 PM
> > I think I just invented a new word : withe = "with the"
>
> Do you mind if I use your new word from time to time

Hey Rob99, no problemo, it's free for use much like the software I recommended in my earlier post :D

KingWave
28-08-2004, 11:43 PM
> >>Anti-virus protection is just one part of a larger
> security issue - I recommend AVG anti-virus, Zone
> Alarm, Spybot and Ad-Aware et al.
>
> I agree with that package. exactly what I use coupled
> with an alternative browser (Opera). :)
>
> (Though that stroppy kiki said some time ago
> it was a newbies's package. I was quite put out. :O)

I tend to agree.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
29-08-2004, 12:13 AM
Common sense is superior to pretty much anything else.

Don't open any attachments unless you're certain of origin, anyone semi-competent should be able to look at a virus e-mail and pick it a mile off.

I haven't run any AV protection for 4 years + and have never had anything infect my machine.

DUNK
29-08-2004, 12:25 AM
"Panda Platinum Pro"...
Main claim to fame...
They have never been caught by a virus "in the wild"
Not too bad a claim....I reckon !
Has served me well for 3 years now
Having said that....I'll probably be 'struck'
tomorrow....If not tonight !
Regards.

mikebartnz
29-08-2004, 08:11 AM
>I haven't run any AV protection for 4 years + and have never had anything infect my machine.
Sorry but how do you know.

mikebartnz
29-08-2004, 08:22 AM
> Whats Best?
Best is the one that catches the most viruses full stop. If you want free you don't neccessarily want the best but the best value for money which is a different kettle of fish.
If you want the best and are prepared to pay then Nod32 is the one.
To be quite frank Norton's does not come into either of the two categories, best or best value for money.

mikebartnz
29-08-2004, 08:35 AM
> I wouldnt trust AVG to remove viruses if found. Seen a lot of people complain about it finding something BUT not being able to put it in the vault.
Sorry but they all suffer from that complaint. I personally have never had that complaint with it but I have been on machines where Norton's has suffered from that. Most often it is to do with the restore points and do you want just any program no matter how trusted trampling over your restore points. Better to keep updated so that no virus can end up in a restore point.

Steve_L
29-08-2004, 10:43 AM
>>>Avast antivirus is the best one that is free, imho. I used AVG for a long time but Avast has a better rating of catching viruses (up with the better ones that cost $$) and the updates are super fast.

Go to: http://www.avast.com/

I would NOT use Norton's. It has a long history of screwing up OS's, is very hard to get rid of (uninstall completely), and does conflict with some other programs. Perhaps the newest Norton AV has solved these problems but frankly I would not risk Nortons when there are so many good AV programs around.

A few months ago I researched independent ratings of AV programs and I believe NOD32 was the best but from memory the user interface is not easy.

Billy T
29-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Bugger, I'm going to have to agree with WTF yet again. :O

Yes, I use Nortons for protection, but it has never fired in anger for a virus loose in my system because I follow the same precautions WTF uses. A couple of times I have thought I've been hit but they were always false alarms (my thinking, not NAV alerts).

I receive a large number of email virus packages every day but they don't get past Mailwasher and are deleted at the server. Very occasionally a virus email arrives in my email account in the few seconds between my deletion of the rubbish and download of the wanted messages, and NAV signals those as they download, but it doesn't really matter as I don't preview and I wouldn't have opened them anyway.

For me NAV is an insurance policy, and I'll say again, I've used it on multiple computers for many years with WFWG3.11, W95, W98 and now W2000 and it has never given me any problems. If it was all that bad surely I would have noticed something by now?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

whiskeytangofoxtrot
29-08-2004, 01:41 PM
> Sorry but how do you know.

Shoulda seen that coming.... I've done the odd housecall every now and then to be certain, I've never run any resident scanner.

If anything, don't get the latest version of NAV (2k4) it's a bloated resource hog - will slow most machines substantially.

tutaenui
29-08-2004, 10:32 PM
I prefer McAfee over NAV mainly because updates are free for the lifetime of the product.

tweak\'e
29-08-2004, 11:45 PM
>I prefer McAfee over NAV mainly because updates are free for the lifetime of the product.

are you sure? unless the lifetime of the product is only 1 year. mcafee has subscriptions just like everyone else.

godfather
30-08-2004, 12:07 AM
With McAfee, you do not have to do a "live update", you can download and install the executable update. Nor do you have to register the copy.

That way there is no expiry of the program. The need to upgrade is based simply on the ability of the AV engine to remain effective, but even upgrades to that (within the version) are available.

They do not make the download easy to find, but its there and updated several times a week on average.

Have been using McAfee in several versions since about '96 and never had a problem with a virus.

Using nothing other than common sense (and a good NAT router the last few years) however, I have never had any serious threat either, much like some others above.

Really makes me wonder how some people do get their systems so badly compromised. They must live for the click on the "yes" box ... or download from unsafe places?

mark.p
30-08-2004, 09:03 AM
Panda seems to be the bee's knees according to comparison's. I install AVG on PCs folk have issuies viri, run an online scanner as a backup. Nortons AV seems to be a resource hog and can be difficult to completely remove. In saying that if you are happy with it keep using it. Good luck with whatever you choose and remember to keep the definitions up to date.

tweak\'e
30-08-2004, 12:15 PM
i'm not a fan of McAfee, i've seen to many crash happy pc's with the culprit being McAfee. not to mention a few that where infected and even tho they where fully updated it didn't pick them up :(

panda, never got it to even run proberly. its either crashed on install, after install or when scanning. won't touch it with a 20ft barge pole.

PCcillian, any antivirus that gives a cryptic code (which you have to search their faq for the answer) to tell you your sub has expired gets ditched.

nod32 is quite good.

bitdefender is bit of an unknown but is rated very highly.

nortons, most recent tests have shown it to slow the pc down quite a bit tho it still works very well (when it is working).

F-Prot Antivirus and Kaspersky are two other quite ok ones as well.

tutaenui
30-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Yes I am sure. I have used McAffee for about 10 years and never had to pay for an update. I did have to upgrade to v6 about 4 or 5 years ago as support for a previous version ceased. I think in some countries you do pay but in NZ at least it is free. Initially v6 was buggy but has been totally stable once sorted.

Murray P
30-08-2004, 03:19 PM
I have used Norton (199- something) quiet happily for awhile but when I tried a trial version of Norton Internet Security (2000 ?), didn't like it so uninstalled it, it trashed the system to such an extent I had to format and reload the OS. No more Nortons for me.

PCcillin 2000 and 2002 have been pretty good but decided to check out some others when my subscription ran out earlier this year. Avast was buggy on my particular setup (win2k SP4), then was a real (sticky) turd to get rid of (shades of Nortons). AVG Free went on next and appeared to do the job competently enough but, I had a nagging doubt about it's capabilities to stop the clean out an infection, nothing concrete though and touch wood, I've had very few infections over the years although the family machine has had some bad-un's.

Anyway, for the past couple of weeks I've been trialing NOD32 with no problems. It's fast and reasonably intuitive to use once you get past a couple of quirks of the interface employed. I'll let the trial run its course, but it looks like NOD will be the one for me.

Cheers Murray P

mikebartnz
30-08-2004, 08:02 PM
>but it looks like NOD will be the one for me.
You've got the best. :D

basil
04-09-2004, 11:37 AM
I'm the one who started this a week ago and, as expected, there is no real concensus - everyone has their sincerely held views and boy, are they diverse.

In the end I shied away from renewing NAV and downloaded NOD32 for about $69 all up for 1 year. It comes highly recommended by many PressF1'ers and looks fine, so we''ll see.....

Murray P
04-09-2004, 01:44 PM
In at the deep end or did you look at the NOD trial first basil?

The more I use it it the more impressed I am as it quetly goes about it work. Especially impressed by the email scanning which I've had problems with other AV's getting to grips with thunderbird (rather than OE or Outlook).

Cheers Murray P

Neil McC
04-09-2004, 02:29 PM
i'm still trialing the Nod 32,and finding more features as I go.Looks like I'll be keeping it,very impressed with it.

Neil McC
06-09-2004, 09:42 AM
Just noticed that when viewing an email that needs to be online to see all the pictures etc,NOD pops up and checks all the items downloading to fill in the gaps.
B-)

Pibs
06-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Nod 32 by Eset is fantastic, never had a virus since it has been installed, it is sooooo fast at checking the PC and is not invasive in any way.
You get a 30 day trial with Australian PC User magazine. (sorry Bruce but it's not REALLY bad language)
I would recommend it without hesitation.

Pibs