PDA

View Full Version : OT: Which cellphone for short-arm disease?

annie
28-08-2004, 08:43 AM
I am so enraged with my totally crappy current cellphone, a Hyundai working on the 027 network - so counterintuitive to use that it's surprising it was ever offered as part of a connection plan - that my family are chipping in to buy me another. Though it wasn't easy - they all had to try it before they'd believe that all the whining was based on anything other than cognitive degeneration.

Anyway - any suggestions for a currently available Telecom phone - has to be Telecom, we live in a Vodofone black spot - with:
1. largeish display - can't read small text any longer w/o glasses unless I lay the phone on the floor
2. Intuitive use
3. Easy to turn on and off - my current one has annoying delays after pressing keys to turn on/off so you end up pressing buttons early and getting it all upset. Also has annoying tendency to connect to telecom site by itself if gets knocked in handbag.
4. Keys laid out for easy texting
5. Address book easy to use/find a number in - current model a pig in this regard
No need for pxt or internet/email access, just good basic phone functions.
Cool ringtones would be a plus.

Current model looked perfect on paper, so I think word-of-mouth recommendations are a better place to start than the phone specs on Telecom's website.

Thanks, any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Alasta
28-08-2004, 09:50 AM
I've always beleived that the Nokia phones are by far the best as far as ease of use goes. I've also used a Kyocera SE47, which is generally a good phone, but I think you might find it a pain to use because the buttons lack feeling, the text input is really slow (it stuggles to keep up with even me), and the hotkey system freaks me out.

Just out of interest, Annie, what part of the country are you in? I've been tempted to switch back to Telecom recently because they have coverage in Taylor's Mistake, Spencer Park, and the Wairarapa coast, which are all areas that Vodafone does not cover well, or at all. I would be interested to hear others' feedback about the coverage of the two networks.

annie
28-08-2004, 11:22 AM
I'm in Wellington, but down over a hill. Get Telecom fine, but my daughters' Vodafone phones get really broken coverage. We do find quite often around Wellington that I can get reception where they can't.

annie
28-08-2004, 11:54 AM
And I should have said, thanks for your advice - much appreciated.

beetle
28-08-2004, 06:05 PM
I too would say Nokia, best phones we have had are nokia, coverage is good too, compared to other phones we have had - and friends comparing who can / cant get recption no matter who is the supplier....... amazing watching a person standing on a muddy jeep swinging there arms about to check reception.
(we are with Vodaphone though,) but most Nokia phones fit your requirements.

beetle

whiskeytangofoxtrot
28-08-2004, 06:46 PM
+1 vote for Nokia.

Far and away best in terms of user interface and general ruggedness of hardware.

Bang for your buck would be the Nokia 1100 on Vodafone:
http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobiles/gen/mobile_details_nokia_1100.jsp?hd=foryou&st=mobiles

It's only about $180 bucks, comes with a sim card and some call time, a nice standard phone.

Crap phones in terms of quality of handset and intuitiveness seem to be par for the course with 027, just another reason to have as little as possible to do with Telecom.

annie
29-08-2004, 06:38 PM
I've had a look at what's available, and Nokia it is! Thank you all for the trouble you took in replying, it was really helpful

dotcommander
29-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Dont be silly, why Nokia when you can pick yourself up a brand new Gtran for 200 bucks: Large screen, cool polyphonic sounds, if youre a guy if may even give you a hard-on...really, it's that sexy...

annie
29-08-2004, 06:53 PM
eeeeeww - but I will check it out, thanks

dotcommander
29-08-2004, 07:02 PM
oh yeah sorry, iv'e noticed your name is annie not arnie.. Believe me, good phones, good deal, no regrets. But ultimately go to the telecom website and check out the phones they are selling and read the info about them, eg, battery life etc...

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
29-08-2004, 07:03 PM
+1 for Nokia
+3 for Motorola

Do be honest, the reason why I believe people aren't mentioning Motorola is the fact that they are not well covered in this country. Until the days of Parallel Import, you hardly saw them on the market. Motorola has been known as a strong traditional leader in the communication industry, not just cellphones.

I, myself, have had the pleasure of being able to use ones brought overseas. They receive the best coverage I've ever seen, and are well and truly easy and stable to use. I suspect they have strong radiowaves [which aint to good for the brain] as they always achieve higher reception that my other ones. I can get a 5-bar downstairs below earth! However having said that, I have been told not to get Nokia because research shows they have the strongest waves! I don't know....

But either brand, should get you going again ;-) Good luck shopping :D

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
29-08-2004, 07:05 PM
O my gosh, I'm not making sense am I :8}

> To be honest, the reason why I believe people aren't

> achieve higher reception that my other ones. I can
> get a 5-bar reception downstairs in the corner of the house (underground)!

Sorry.....

dotcommander
29-08-2004, 07:10 PM
ive got a better signal since putting in one of those inexpensive antennae boosters near the battery

Alasta
29-08-2004, 07:19 PM
From what I've heard, the gtran is good in many respects, but ease of use is not one of them.

The Nokia 3105 is only $299 these days and the gtran is no longer readily available anyway (unless you find a place with old stock).

annie
29-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Thanks, I have been looking at that one, and it looks pretty much what I want - and polyphonic ring tones, including being able to download the themes from The Good The Bad and The Ugly and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, a definite plus. Will have to check the display tho' to see if I can read it without a magnifier.

Winston001
29-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Annie, your post title rather startled me. It certainly caught my attention.

In the Army, they carry out a "short arm" inspection. Looking for disease. So I was intrigued to discover what a cellphone could possibly have to do with contracting venereal disease. :O

Am still puzzled ?:|

sam m
29-08-2004, 10:53 PM
>Anyway - any suggestions for a currently available Telecom phone - has to be Telecom, we live in a Vodofone black spot

Important point

>>Crap phones in terms of quality of handset and intuitiveness
>>seem to be par for the course with 027,
>>just another reason to have as little as possible to do with Telecom.

not so important point

But I do agree with Nokia but pay for the higher priced models. The bottom priced ones too flimsy looking.

icyred
29-08-2004, 10:56 PM
is that the sort of short arm that's liable to go off if cleaned over-vigorously ?

cheers

icy

annie
29-08-2004, 11:57 PM
Short arm disease - presbyopia - age-related loss of ability to use the lens in the eye to accommodate and focus, so you can't focus on things that are close, can't read small print. You see people holding things at arms length with their heads back and squinting to try and focus on print. Like me trying to read my cellphone display. Not VD.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
30-08-2004, 12:05 AM
I had in my mind short arm, as in short arm long pockets - indicating you were frugal (or scottish).

annie
30-08-2004, 05:47 PM
That too. I'd like to thank everyone for their help, and just in case someone else with the same requirements finds this thread, I decided to get the Nokia 2280 on Telecom - very basic but cheap and the biggest display I could find in my price range.