PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for upgrading to XP SP2?



Zippity
27-08-2004, 11:21 PM
Hopefully my copy of PC World will arrive in tomorrow's post :)

Is there a list/FAQ on this forum that leads me step by step?

Obviously I don't want to stuff up my PC in the process of upgrading :)

godfather
27-08-2004, 11:28 PM
Step by Step?

Put CD in drive.

Select the XPSP2

Run the application

Go and have a coffee.


Thats it.

It creates a restore point, "just in case"

Elephant
27-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Agreed 100%

Just so long as you are not thinking that WinXP2 will solve any other problems you may have.

Gods-Hitman
27-08-2004, 11:49 PM
Srry for hijacking but do you have to install SP1 fisrt?

godfather
27-08-2004, 11:55 PM
Apparently not, it will install over unpatched XP, or XPSP1.

No experience in that, but look for yourself using Google, that seems to be quire clear.

But as with all these patches, if it needed XPSP1 it would say so when you tried to install. But apparently it covers all the XPSP1 issues?

drb1
28-08-2004, 12:00 AM
> Hopefully my copy of PC World will arrive in
> tomorrow's post :)
>
> Is there a list/FAQ on this forum that leads me step
> by step?
>
> Obviously I don't want to stuff up my PC in the
> process of upgrading :)

Godfather

It creates a restore point,

Caution,

Create your own restore point, make a small safe change, Test you restore point , if all is well follow godfathers inst.

Have been bitten by restore point failure, most annoying.

Vince
28-08-2004, 04:41 AM
Dell recommend upgrading your BIOS first. Presumably that applies to all computers. Vince

godfather
28-08-2004, 11:09 AM
> Dell recommend upgrading your BIOS first. Presumably
> that applies to all computers. Vince


Eeek!

No it doesn't apply to "all computers" Vince!

NEVER upgrade/update the BIOS unless you specifically need to, in order to correct an issue that has been clearly identified and corrected in the update.

There is an ever-present risk that any BIOS update will fail (something in the order of 5%) which usually means your entire motherboard is toast.

Then, as older motherboards are no longer available you need a new one, your RAM probably will not be compatable, possibly the same for video, any pre-installed OEM version of Windows will no longer install (BIOS locked) requiring a new copy.

Do the sums, its not a cheap exercise. Its a calculated risk.

bk T
28-08-2004, 12:30 PM
> Srry for hijacking but do you have to install SP1
> fisrt?


No. You don't have to. Just apply SP2. Have done it on 2 machines without any problem.

stu120404
28-08-2004, 12:41 PM
> Is there a list/FAQ on this forum that leads me step
> by step?

There will be a FAQ once the Sept Issue of the PC World Mag comes out. :)

tommy
28-08-2004, 12:50 PM
It would be wise to backup your data to CDs or another hard drive before installing SP2 just in case you have problems that results in the loss of your data.

Zippity
28-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the replies.

My magazine didn't turn up in today's mail as expected :( so I guess I now have a couple of days to prepare myself.

What I was seeking, was information on which files/directories etc I should be saving (burning onto a CD) prior to installing the new upgrade :)

supergran
28-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Any tips for upgrading to XP SP2?

Yes, from what I have been reading lately, my tip is don't install. LOL

CliveM
28-08-2004, 03:53 PM
It is recommended that you ensure that all drivers and programs are up to date before SP2 is installed.

I had no problems and like the way my machine runs.

Cheers :)

Vince
28-08-2004, 05:03 PM
> > Dell recommend upgrading your BIOS first.
> Presumably
> > that applies to all computers. Evince
>
>
> Eeek!
>
> No it doesn't apply to "all computers" Vince!
>
> NEVER upgrade/update the BIOS unless you
> specifically need to, in order to correct an
> issue that has been clearly identified and corrected
> in the update.
>
> There is an ever-present risk that any BIOS update
> will fail (something in the order of 5%) which
> usually means your entire motherboard is toast.

Eeek! is right!
I didn't realize or I wouldn't have done it. Dell did supply a fully automated installer and it worked fortunately. Vince

leonidas5
28-08-2004, 05:11 PM
My PCWorld arrived today.

See excellent article - 2 pages just inside. It covers most of your concerns.

Leon

tommy
28-08-2004, 05:35 PM
> What I was seeking, was information on which
> files/directories etc I should be saving (burning
> onto a CD) prior to installing the new upgrade :)

If you are referring to what kind of files and data you should be backing up have a look at the forum's FAQ on backing up data here. (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=50700)