PDA

View Full Version : Exploited ?

jon71
27-08-2004, 06:56 PM
I have windows XP.

I have installed "Spybot" to keep those naughty spy and ad-ware from infecting my pc.

However every time i run Spybot i get the same "problem" being found...that is "DSO Exploit". The blurb goes on about it being a hole in windows secruity so I ask spybot to fix it.

Next time I run spybot same error, and there begins groundhog day....

Any ideas peoples ?

Elephant
27-08-2004, 07:35 PM
My computer is up to date running WinXP Pro SP2. I use the latest definitions from AVG ( free version ). My Spybot is at Version 1.3 ( not Beta ) and detection update is 20040820.

Whenever I run spybot I normally get 5 DSO exploits mentioned as well. What they are, and what they actually do, I have no idea off the top off my head.

I suppose I could go and look at Google but this has been happening for some time with no ill effects on my computer.

Just thought you might like to learn you are not alone.

I have not been so worried that I have needed to find out. I must admit that I run Spybot on a very infrequent basis.

Spacemannz
27-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Yup I get that too. I think its a XP Update. I wouldnt worry bout it.

I think the makers of Spybot need to get a fix.

godfather
27-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Spybot is simply finding that the security setting for Downloading unsigned ActiveX controls, applying to the hidden My Computer zone within IE is not set to "disabled". This is a Windows issue of no consequence.

Everyone who is patched by the Windows Update process is no longer vulnerable to this exploit anyway, so this is really not an issue.

If your system is correctly patched you will have nothing to worry about.

Ignore this until the fix comes out from Spybot.

Rob99
27-08-2004, 09:08 PM
- Click a entry once to select it

- Then right click it and jump to it's location (this should launch regedit)

- Find the value 1004 if it is a dword change it's value to 3 and click decimal

- If it is not a dword value delete it and create a dword with the value of 3 and click decimal

- If there is nothing for 1004 create it.

Rob