PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Installed Data

willbry
27-08-2004, 03:28 PM
A number of retailers seem to sell PC's with pre-installed software like Works, Word etc and even XP OS.
MY question is, can a purchaser ask or even require the retailer to supply the software disks with a PC purchase? I have found from time to time a need to reinstall various applications and even my operating system if they've become buggy.
If the answer is "No " what can you do as an insurance against them being corrupted or if you need to reinstall or you are told to insert the disk, if you don't have the disks or a "Go Back" type of facility?
If you have a CD writer installed can you burn a back up copy of your OS or other preinstalled programmes?

metla
27-08-2004, 03:34 PM
The solution is not to buy a comp without the media supplied on cd.

And to take it further,each piece of software on its own cd,Recovery cd's are about as useful as a tooth ache and a hankering for a feed of mars bars washed down with ice cold coke.

willbry
27-08-2004, 03:42 PM
I take it Metla from your reply that there is no legal obligation on them to provide the registered disks. Incidentally I like your colourful metaphors.

godfather
27-08-2004, 05:27 PM
To clarify, from my own understanding:

A retailer supplying OEM software, can legally supply the media as a hidden partition. The "savings" (minimal, but some) will be reflected in the price one supposes.

Some of these systems have a routine that burns CD's as recovery disks.

Its a buyers choice as metla so eloquently suggests.

The last PC that I purchased was pre-installed with Windows, however a full XP CD was also supplied, as well as a full CD of the applications bundled (not recovery CD's).

There is a market that likes just the recovery CD though, PC illiterate users that only use email and basic home use, they need never know or understand how to install things. They regularly reset the system to new when its gets virused. Thats what they understand and want. It works for them.

Its just that they seldom post here, so the perception here is that such offerings are bad.

Graham L
27-08-2004, 05:38 PM
Some manufacturers (like Compaq) provided the MS software on the hard disk, with a routine supplied to make a set of floppies. I think they stopped doing that when W98 (with 70-something .CAB files, each 1 floppy size) came out. :D

drb1
27-08-2004, 09:51 PM
> A number of retailers seem to sell PC's with
> pre-installed software like Works, Word etc and even
> XP OS.
> MY question is, can a purchaser ask or even require
> the retailer to supply the software disks with a PC
> purchase?

Ask, of course, This is not Stalin's Russia, or Gates land yet.

Require, no. That is the product , and that is the sale package. the Reseller can do that.

The Buyer can, not buy any new or used PC with out : a full set of soft ware CDS' and their serial #/installation codes.

my advise to any pc purchaser in short "No full set CDS' and #, No buy"

supergran
27-08-2004, 10:32 PM
Compaq now tell you how to back up your system to cd's, and it takes 6. Well compaq or Xp tell you how to do it, I can't remember. They also have an XP set up on a partition.

Yes, I did buy a compaq for $1000 in Febuary, and yes, it may have been cheaper to get one built, but when I added everything up money wise, it was more practical and easier for me to pay the grand, get an upgrade to this puter, instead of my old 486/80 that had been upgraded so many times, that it finally was a 500 when I sold it. And so far, I love it. LOL

supergran
27-08-2004, 10:34 PM
Ps, I got Money, Word, Photoshop and something else on CD's as part of the package.

willbry
28-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Thanks everyone for your imput. I can see it pays to shop around. Maybe the ultimatum - No disks - no sale is the way to go.
I'm still a little puzzled with the thought that if a dealer pre-installs the software, he must have the disks to do the installation, so why would he be unwilling to hand them over to the purchaser unless he wants to retain them to use repeatedly on a number of installations . If so there would be a number of people having Operating systems or software with the same security codes. Does this happen?

metla
28-08-2004, 11:53 AM
The hardrives are imaged by the thousands in assembly plants in Malaysia,The retailer's who sell brand name comps have no idea how to install software...

Well obviously some may have the knowledge but in general,they know about as much about the computer they are selling as they do about the internals of the televisions on display nearby.

Nothing apart from the model and maybe a salesblurb.

tommy
28-08-2004, 01:01 PM
> I'm still a little puzzled with the thought that if
> a dealer pre-installs the software, he must have the
> disks to do the installation, so why would he be
> unwilling to hand them over to the purchaser unless
> he wants to retain them to use repeatedly on a
> number of installations . If so there would be a
> number of people having Operating systems or
> software with the same security codes. Does this
> happen?

Are you referring to a computer dealer that builds a computer to your needs or are you referring to "dealers" such as Noel Leeming, Dick Smith, Bond and Bond, etc?
The latter sell computers like other appliances - already pre-built and boxed up with each computer having a separate Windows license even though the installation CDs may not be included.
The former normally supply customers with OEM Windows and program CDs. If they do not or will not then one might suspect that their computers are being sold with unlicensed and therefore illegal versions of software. It does happen.

willbry
28-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Yes Tommy I meant the high turnover retailers. I stand corrected but I think for example Warehouse Stationery sell their Dells with everything pre-installed but I wasn't aware until Mettla pointed out that all this stuff is imaged in the factory so the dealer has no imput into what is placed on the Drive.