PDA

View Full Version : Jetstream

sarel
27-08-2004, 09:09 AM
Hiya guys

We are currently on Clear dial-up (flat rate). The wife recently received the offer from Xtra to go Jetstream where they will give the modem or whatever free. Cost is a bit dearer, but it seems to me that if I want to go that way and want a flat rate, it will cost me the best part of $70 p.m.

We do not upload or download a lot - the son is D/L'ing some songs, etc

I also suspect that the other ISP's like Clear will pretty soon match the offer

My question - is Jetstream really worth the moola?

Sarel

Billy T
27-08-2004, 09:54 AM
Speed is the main advantage, closely followed by "always connected." If the cost is not an issue then you will never want to go back to dial-up ever again. I have full speed Jetstream to 5 computers and survive on a 1GB cap no problems at all.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Craigb
27-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Hi there
I got that offer too. Have been looking around and you can get set better and a little cheaper. If you take the free modem offer (worth $199, you can't get the free setup ($99) and first month free ($49.95 for 3 gig telecom customer or 59.95 if your not). I think I will go for the free connection etc and get a good router (around $150 - $190). I think that will be a better option as a good router has firewall etc and the overall cost will be cheaper.

Cheers
Craig

metla
27-08-2004, 04:39 PM
The jetstream starter router is a pig pile of poop.

andrew93
27-08-2004, 05:09 PM
If you do go over to Jetstream then make sure you have a good firewall (hardware or software, e.g. zone alarm) before you connect up - I don't know how many people I have seen that get flooded with viruses and worms when they first connect up their jetstream - I have even seen cases where the Telecom technicians just have absolutely no clue about security and leave their clients with connections that don't work due to insufficient software security