PDA

View Full Version : Laptop 2.5Ē HDD Enclosure (replace CD-Drive)

sc0ut
27-08-2004, 04:05 AM
Hi, boy itís been a while since Iíve been here (on PF1)
-------ANYWAY-------
Iíve spent the last 2 hours on the Net looking for a 2.5Ē Laptop Hard Drive enclosure to replace my CD-Drive, and Iíve come up very empty and very disappointed. The enclosure is to go in place of a normal Laptop CD-Drive.
Now Iím not looking for a USB enclosure because I only have USB 1 on this machine.
Iíve seen one before in an Asus catalog but their website was no help.
Ebay didnít have anything either.
Does anyone know where I can pick one up (and how much they cost)?
Thanks

godfather
27-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Are you saying your laptop CD drive is a plug-in module, and you want a compatable (for that model laptop) plug in 2.5" HDD module?

Or is it a normal "fixed" laptop CD drive you want to "convert"?

Either way, any solution will be very make and model of laptop specific, there is no "generic" solution given the different physical characteristics between each and every model of laptop. You do not mention the make and model. There is no "normal" CD laptop drive, only one that is designed for that model of laptop, (sure some will be similar between laptops, but not always)

Can't say I have ever seen such things.

If your laptop has a PCMCIA slot, why not use a PCMCIA USB 2.0 adapter and a normal USB 2.0 external drive? Would be the cheaper option I would imagine?

Graham L
27-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Dick Smith have an adaptor to take the "very special" connector on the back of laptop CD drives so youi can plug the drive into an IDE bus. The other way would be more useful for you. :D

However. You can buy a USB 2.5" enclosure for $23. A PCMCIA USB 2.0 card won't be too expensive. The 2.5" drive is the expensive bit. ;-)

nomad
27-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Like Godfather says its dependent on specific model and brand.

If you only have USB 1, you could purchase a PCMCIA or PC Card USB 2 card or firewire.

The HDD enclosure that replaces the CD Drive does look neater and no cables to worry about. Many models tend to have these with higher end ones. With IBM you can get something which look like a CD drive but has a big square hole in the middle which you pop your 2.5" HDD inside and it acts as a 2nd hard drive. Price for this thing (holder) alone is about $400+ at stores. IBM baiscally works for all models as all models share the same drive removable bay. FYI: You can also get a USB enclosure which works with and without power supply cable with some speed limitations (when fitted with a IBM laptop drive be it CD, DVD, Zip, floppy, HDD etc..).

This an ebay listing for an IBM laptop - HDD Ultrabay adaptor.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=74949&item=6703239110&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

sc0ut
27-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Just a few things
its not for a laptop (its a barebones PC that is VERY SMALL)
so no PCMCIA slots
your right DSE does have the part
----
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/412eb0f604afbe242741c0a87f990728/Product/View/XH4133
----
however i need the bay (or i will have to buy a broken CD-Drive and smash it to bits and attempt to make one)

this is my current cdrom
--
http://www.itx-warehouse.co.uk/Product.aspx?ProductID=288

nomad
27-08-2004, 05:49 PM
well you can get creative in the garage in making your own cover.

the hard drive, if you go for the 2.5" hard drive you can get a DSE which plugs onto that to the IDE, basically making a 2.5" HDD workable ont he PC. You may also get a thinner HDD too, like the Quantum Bigfoot, its thinner and like 5.25" rather than 3.5". Heard they had some issue with bigfroot series thou.