PDA

View Full Version : Dual Security Suites?

Apteryx
26-08-2004, 11:58 PM
Hi Gurus, need advice please.
using WXP SP1 I had Nortons Secuirity Suite V5 & NAV 2003. I wasnt happy with V5 so bought ZAL Security Suite, and was told I must uninstall Nortons before installing ZAL.
Can I reinstall Nortons and use both together, or do they conflict with each other? Im a bit uneasy that Im not getting full virus cover with ZAL.eg I keep losing Spybot and MS Word and having to reinstall them from discs. Why? Virus?

godfather
27-08-2004, 12:11 AM
Running dual firewalls and dual AV programs is simply not a good idea.

Each can (and will, if operating correctly) interpret the activities of the other as hostile, cause conflicts and the result of them fighting leaves your PC wide open.

There are an infinite number of variables in the equation, so its impossible to say just what happens, when or even if you would know.

The built in Windows firewall may cohabit better since its integrated into Windows itself.

As for Word and Spybot problems, you would need to give more details. What error messages do you get etc. Doesn't really sound viral though.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
27-08-2004, 12:33 AM
1 word comprising of two would be: overkill

Two security packages as mentioned is going to be problematic.

Install the AV component of the Norton System only, then install Zone Alarm, or install the entire Norton Suite and get rid of Zone Alarm.

Don't use both. The word problem sounds bizarre and probably unrelated.

Apteryx
27-08-2004, 12:37 AM
Thanks Godfather, them tharconflicts was what i was afeared of.

As to Spybot and Word, no error messages, no nothing. They just vanish. When I want to use a word document no icon, no program, nothing in W Explorer, nor add/remove etc etc I have the MS Office 2003 Tool Kit which lists everything else but Word has vanished. Have to reinstall several times a wk. Same with Spybot. I notice the icon is missing, go hunting, nothing nowhere.
perhaps it was affected when Idid a Restore, but Ive had both since Feb and Im not restoring back that far!
Wondered if the recent (04/08) MS updates, which made a lot of changes has affected them somehow? Think that likely?

Rob99
27-08-2004, 12:47 AM
Clear your restore points, scan and clean again, turn on system restore if you want

Apteryx
28-08-2004, 05:08 AM
Thanks folks tried all those and now back to normal. fingers crosssed