PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Layers

Steve_L
26-08-2004, 03:47 PM
I have used Adobe Photoshop versions 5 and 6 for a few years but have never used the "Layer" feature. What is is for and how is it applied to photos?

Spartacus
26-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Layers provide significant versatility in image editing - as the name suggests, you have a number of layers stacked on top of eachother to create an image. You can apply effects, add vector images, etc. on separate layers - each layer is then treated basically as a different image: you can adjust each one's transparency, visibility, blending with other layers, stacking order, etc to achieve various visual effects.

I haven't used photoshop for a while, but I do remember finding it's help system fairly useful. Also try googling for a photoshop online tutorial - I went through a couple with pretty good results...

Cheers,

S

Rob99
26-08-2004, 04:05 PM
In the layers panel you will probably only have one layer at the moment called Background, drag this layer to the new layer icon down the bottom, you will now have two layers exactly the same, so you can edit layer 1 and keep the original for reference. If you were to add text it would place this on a separate layer automatically. Layers are handy when changing things around a lot, you just put the changers on a separate layer thus preserving the original. You can also make them visible or not visible depending on what you want. You can drag the order of them around to place them ontop or underneath other layers as necessary. When you save the image again select psd format and all the layers will be saved with the image. If you want to save as jpg or any other format only the layers that are visible will be exported.
Sorry if that sounds a bit complicated but I would suggest try adding text to the photo first then make that layer invisible to see the result when you save as jpg.

Cheers Rob

mister harbies
27-08-2004, 11:41 AM
Think of the photoshop layers as plain ohp sheets. If you write someone thing on one sheet you will see it. If you draw on a another sheet which is 'higher' than the text, some of the text will be hiden due to the drawing covering it. If you remove ohp sheet with the text and place it at the top, the drawing becomes hidden.

You can add more layers, move them around and they won't affect the other layers you have created.

If you are not happy with one layer, you can modify it without damaging the artwork on the other layers.

They are very useful if you have images from different sources and need them on one image.

Mister Harbies

Rob99
27-08-2004, 11:46 AM
mister harbies and nailed it on the head, well done

metla
27-08-2004, 11:50 AM
The other advantage is you can use effects layers,they contain nothing but effects that effect layers underneath,so you can modify to your hearts content without any real changes being made to the original artwork....

If you own photoshop its well worth purchasing a how-to book to go along with it,the WOW series are miles better then any other ive seen on the shelves.

Infact the others i have seen have little more and probally less then the pshop help files....

Steve_L
27-08-2004, 12:10 PM
>If you own photoshop its well worth purchasing a how-to book to go along with it,the WOW series are miles better then any other ive seen on the shelves.

Metla, where can I get the WOW photoshop book and what does it cost?

Thanks to others who have answered my question. I will have a try at creating a few layers and get back here with my results.