PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend a good newsreader?

jrust
26-08-2004, 09:11 AM
Can anyone recommend a good free binary newsreader that is capable of downloading yenc media files? I currently use quadsucker which is very good but it doesn't do so well handling yenc multipart media files. I've had success with multipart yenc jpg files and some success with non-yenc multipart media files but it gets very annoying when you wait up to an hour downloading a clip and it won't play. BTW my media player is VLC so it should be able to play almost any format. My OS is Windows 98SE if that helps.

Spacemannz
26-08-2004, 09:19 AM
You can try this. Xnews. Its free. And only 696k. There are others. BUT you'll have to pay for it after a while.

Xnews is fashioned after NewsXpress, a program no longer in development. Xnews features a quick filter, a score file for more advanced filtering, support for multiple servers and identities, binaries handling, optional header and article caching, and folders for permanent archival. Version 5.08 adds a free-floating editor window, support for the yEnc binary encoding scheme, and many other enhancements and bug fixes.

http://www.download.com/Xnews/3000-2164-10144167.html?tag=lst-0-9