PDA

View Full Version : Wireless phone and internet - anyone got it?

barmypom
25-08-2004, 10:35 PM
I'm interested to know if anyone's gone the whole hog and jumped the Telecon ship in favour of wireless phone and internet offered by Wired Country (via Ihug connect http://www.ihug.co.nz/connect/) or Woosh (if you're lucky enough to live in a coverage area for either service).

What's the quality and reliability of both the phone service and the internet service like?

Any lag with the net? Will either Woosh or Wired Country be any good for gaming?

How does it compare with ADSL?

Value for money?

Any other thoughts?

I'd be interested to know as I may have a choice of jumping that ship soon and wouldn't want to be in the position of having to come crawling back to Telecon and paying a re-connection fee.

Cheers.

drb1
26-08-2004, 04:01 AM
> I'm interested to know if anyone's gone the whole hog
> and jumped the Telecon ship in favour of wireless
> phone and internet offered by Wired Country (via Ihug
> connect http://www.ihug.co.nz/connect/) or Woosh (if
> you're lucky enough to live in a coverage area for
> either service).

Long ago.
> What's the quality and reliability of both the phone
> service and the internet service like?

I have Woosh, I have had stupid minor problems with their accounts staff who cant/wont read. Had far far worse with "Telescam".

Reliability, have yet to have any "I.S.P." related problem's. I am not a "Gamer" there is a lot of rumor's, there is a lot of "Telescam Disinformation".

> Any lag with the net? Will either Woosh or Wired
> Country be any good for gaming?

You can get a "suckit and see deal" from "Woosh". you can take the "1G deal" up grade to, and down grade from "Full deal" by the month as often as you wish

The "loss leader" on the woosh modems is "$400-00 per unit" that's a lot of confidence.

> How does it compare with ADSL?

Don't know

> Value for money?

$40-00 month including "I.S.P". Roaming 50Kms base inclusive, Roming national nominal charge (that still Makes vodapone look like sheer usury)and (Telescam OFF THE PLANET) which is why I took woosh.

> Any other thoughts?

Suckit and see, realistically wireless is the way of the future. The service can only get better. More support faster service improvement. All the Three letter @mail addresses havent gone yet. There is no "Premium charged" for them unlike "Telescam" Ect.
>
> I'd be interested to know as I may have a choice of
> jumping that ship soon and wouldn't want to be in the
> position of having to come crawling back to Telecon
> and paying a re-connection fee.
>
> Cheers.

Dumped my "Telescam" mobile the day Bell south fronted up. Havent had a land line at my house for three years.

I will NEVER forgive "Telescam" For roughting us $2.50 per minuite for mobile service. Let alone all their other dirty trick's. Not to mention their original I.S.P. Robbery $10.00 Per Hour or something close to (from memory). Not even from the grave.

Pete O\'Neil
26-08-2004, 09:29 AM
The Wired Country network is very good, it offers better pings than DSL, and what seems to be better value for money. I personally havent used it but know many who have. I know a couple of friends who used the system right from the start and initially it was quite buggy. But the network has now matured to the point where it is superior to telecoms wired alternatives.

Woosh is crap, it has really bad pings and the coverage is ****. Woosh made a really bad decision when the chose the wireless protocol they were going to use.

In 2-3 months when telecom kills my 128k jetstart account im gonna jump on the Wired Country bandwagon. Im gonna get both phone and internet and free myself from the evil grasp of telecom.

drb1
26-08-2004, 10:31 PM
> The Wired Country network is very good, it offers
> better pings than DSL, and what seems to be better
> value for money. I personally havent used it but know
> many who have. I know a couple of friends who used
> the system right from the start and initially it was
> quite buggy. But the network has now matured to the
> point where it is superior to telecoms wired
> alternatives.
>
> Woosh is crap, it has really bad pings and the
> coverage is ****. Woosh made a really bad decision
> when the chose the wireless protocol they were going
> to use.
>
> In 2-3 months when telecom kills my 128k jetstart
> account im gonna jump on the Wired Country bandwagon.
> Im gonna get both phone and internet and free myself
> from the evil grasp of telecom.

Entry level cost comparison?

woosh is better than "Telescam"

To be free of "Telescam" and still telecomunicating (sp?) at a better price is possible.

Make the break. Sort out the fine points when the market stabileses. In about 5 years The NZ teleco market will be a very different place.

Pete O\'Neil
27-08-2004, 09:34 AM
Not being rude or anything drb1 but your posts make absolutly no sense to me at all. So far all i can gather is that you think woosh is better than telecom.

>>Entry level cost comparison?
So you want a round up of the cost for each internet option e.g Wired Country, DSL and Woosh?