PDA

View Full Version : Telecon Homeline Economy

barmypom
25-08-2004, 09:57 PM
Long story. One more reason why Telecon **** me off.

I had ADSL at my old house. With no need to pay full rate for the Homeline plan I switched to Homeline Economy to save money (also switching my call plans to Telstraclear to take advantage of free local calling).

All was sweet until I moved house. New house, new residential area, brand new phone lines. After hassle with Telecon with installation of a phone line which took over a week (which I wont go into) I then signed up for ADSL. 2 weeks later when they finally got round to it I got a call to say "sorry ADSL not available on your exchange".

When inquiring into the reasons why ADSL wasn't available I got several different answers from various customer support people. Although they were friendly and helpful, they didn't seem to know much about what was going on. Apparently the cables Telecom put down weren't of the copper variety - and therefore ADSL not compatable.

So I got on with dial-up and changed my Homeline Economy back to Homeline (can't get round paying 20c for every time I dialup to the net).

Soon Wired Country came to Hamilton. Great, no more Telecom and back to fast internet. But then I couldn't get line-of-sight! So my slow internet woes continued. I phone Telecom and ask them when they will have a solution and they said they were working on it - about 8 months away. They also said my wires WERE copper but they had digital modifications to improve phone/fax capability (God knows why bother). Unfortunately they hadn't figured how to make ADSL work on the exchange (as well as giving me the usual "we need so many people to show an interest in ADSL before we do something as it costs too much".

Anyway - 8 months is up. Finally Telecom are going to come round and install ADSL. So I ask them to change me back to Homeline Economy so I can save myself some money.

No luck they tell me. Homeline Economy is being phased out. Apparently "our customers seem to prefer certainty in their calling plans so we are phasing out the ecomomy plan. Customers prefer the certainty of the Homeline plan which includes things like Messageline etc etc"

Well the only certainty I have is that I'll be paying more for essentially the same service.
I also learned that customers already on the Economy plan have been allowed to keep it but no-one is allowed to sign up for it or switch back to it.

I wonder when they will drop the bombshell on the economy customers to tell them they will suddenly have to start paying an extra $15 a month.

When reliable wireless phone and net become widespread I think Telecon will regret ****ing off so many of their involuntary customers.

barmypom
25-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Anyway - I guess all those ADSL users currently saving money on the Economy plan are ok.
Any new ADSL users will of course be paying more overall.

Growly
25-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Well, seems like you had a rough deal. I can't really comment much more - I have an affinity with liking Telecom.

I do, however, wish you all the best.

Murray P
26-08-2004, 01:18 AM
> No luck they tell me. Homeline Economy is being phased out. Apparently "our
> customers seem to prefer certainty in their calling plans so we are phasing out the
> ecomomy plan. Customers prefer the certainty of the Homeline plan which includes
> things like Messageline etc etc"

A lot is done in the name of customers. Can you imagine the marketing research that went into that justification for the decision to ax that a particular service plan and a few other recent ones:

Telemarketer - And sir tell me do you want certainty in the pricing of the services you use.

Sucker, ah I mean customer - Hell yes give me more certainty.
Result - No customer in there right mind wants uncertainty so the service can be axed for one that costs more. With no other choices you can be certainly be certain of what you are getting.

Telemarketer - Now can you tell me which type of internet service you prefer, 56kb dialup, 128kb Jetstarter or high speed 256kb jetsurf broadband.

Customer - Gee, that's easy give me the fastest one.
Result - Because customers have expressed a desire for faster internet and very few have expressed a desire for slower internet we are phasing out jetsarter and those people on it will have to move to a faster service. Hmm, be nice if the dialup people had that option. What does that say about the relative costs of delivering 128kb vs 256kb? about the same I would guess.

Hope it gets sorted for you soon Barmy.

Cheers Murray P

Budda
26-08-2004, 09:23 AM
well thats just a$$, as soon as i can get some other service eg: wired country or something i will scrap telecrum altogether, i dont even use a home phone, only have it so i can have dial up, wish they could sort something out so that people can have either phone line or dsl, not have to have both to get dsl.

drb1
26-08-2004, 11:41 PM
> well thats just a$$, as soon as i can get some other
> service eg: wired country or something i will scrap
> telecrum altogether, i dont even use a home phone,
> only have it so i can have dial up,

?
wish they could
> sort something out so that people can have either
> phone line or dsl, not have to have both to get dsl.

"Telescam" Want your money for jam. Why would they provide you with a service that you and thousands of others want that would reduce their HUGE PROFITS, EXECUTIVE SALARIES and BONUSES.