PDA

View Full Version : OT: Sanyo SCP-8100 - how to get the '+' for international numbers?

caffy
25-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Hi,

I just bought this 027 mobile, excellent phone. But how do I get the + i need in front of international numbers like 61 (aus), 44 (UK), 13 (USA) and 27 (South Africa)??

Is it necessary? because I got a friend from Australia to text me, and the number came up as 614XXXXXXXX with no + in front of it...does this mean 027 phones recognise the international code and don't need the + anymore?

thanks,
caffy

Mike
25-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Hold down the zero.

Mike.

godfather
25-08-2004, 08:18 PM
The "+" has only ever been a shortcut to the international access code AFAIK. Its handy overseas when you do not know that countries international code, but the NZ code should not be too hard to remember.

Are you saying then that 0061 prefix for dialling Australia from here does not work?

Have you tried the "*" key to see if the + is available perhaps as a multi press option?

caffy
25-08-2004, 08:28 PM
I dont know if 0061 works, but I know that 27 works... i texted my cousin with just that (on my old phone I did it like +27).

I dont use the mobile phone for calling, just texting.

I've tried pressing the # button twice, and holding it down but it doesn't change into a +.

Same for holding down the zero button.

mister harbies
26-08-2004, 07:35 AM
Entering Numbers, Symbols, Canned Suffix and Smileys

Entering SYMBOLS

To enter symbols, select the SYMBOL mode.

1. In a text entry field, press the right softkey. (The right softkey button is to the top right of the navigational key).
2. Highlight SYMBOL and press "menu ok".
3. Highlight the line that includes your desired symbol.
4. Press the corresponding key (1~8)with each symbol.
or
Highlight your desired symbol by using the Navigation key,
and press "menu ok".

OR go to page 82 of http://www.sanyo.com/wireless/handsets/downloads/8100_online_guide.pdf

Mister Harbies

caffy
26-08-2004, 08:29 AM
I am aware of that,
However that only works when I can type in text. For example, putting in names has the menu available, but when you're entering numbers there's no menu with all the options like Symbols, etc.

Thanks tho.

I am still wondering whether the '+' is necessary? I texted a few overseas friends with their international code, (minus the + like 61XXXXXXX and 27XXXXXX) and they received my messages.... ?

When I receive messages from them, the + doesn't show, so.... ?

It seems that the + is not necessary?

whiskeytangofoxtrot
26-08-2004, 09:52 AM
> I've tried pressing the # button twice, and holding
> it down but it doesn't change into a +.
>
> Same for holding down the zero button.

On all the phones I've had it's always been on the * key.

Billy T
26-08-2004, 10:07 AM
I'm getting seriously out of touch with the latest phones.

In the past, for an overseas call to a NZ phone number such as ++64 9 4**9**2, the ++ simply meant "enter your international access dialling code here".

I assume the same would apply to us calling overseas numbers such as Australia for example, where their access code is 0061 plus area code plus phone number.

There is nothing in Telecom's phone use instructions to indicate that the + sign has any meaning or use when dialling any call, local or distance, from any type of phone.

Can anybody explain what the + is meant to do?

Or is somebody taking the pi++ here?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) ?:|

caffy
26-08-2004, 10:57 AM
On my previous 021 mobiles, to text an international number we had to have + in front of the international code.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
26-08-2004, 11:00 AM
> Can anybody explain what the + is meant to do?

As I understand it, you format the number as +644xxxxxxx or +61xxxxxxxx etc, so when roaming in a country with a different international access code the network in use will automagically correct the number for the local conditions.

Same principle as dialling 112 on a Vodafone phone, which will automagically redirect to the local emergency number on any international GSM network.

If you use the phone exclusively in NZ you are unlikely to have a problem with using 00644xxxxxxx or 0061xxxxxx etc.

caffy
26-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Holding down the * button does nothing.

So is it safe to assume that the + is not necessary?

godfather
26-08-2004, 12:19 PM
So - you are saying that "0061" etc does not work? Strange.

Or are you not saying that? Confused.

As to the Telecom 027 system translating numbers beginning with 61 to "0061" (which is I assume the point of this question) perhaps Telecom Mobile would be the best (or only) place to direct the question to.

You have already tried not putting the + (or presumably the "00") in and you state the message was received. Why then the question I if you have now confirmed the answer.

This has nothing to do with the phone, its got everything to do with how Telecom Mobile set up and operate the 027 system by the way.

As has been stated above more than once, the "+" shortcut is simply interpreted by the mobile system to allow the system to insert the appropriate code (00 for NZ for example, 01 in some overseas countries) for international access. Its nothing whatever to do with the phone itself.

Billy T
26-08-2004, 02:33 PM
Thaks for the elucidation Godfather, I noticed your earlier comments too late I'm afraid.

Now I need to go buy my kids some phones so that I can keep up to date. That will do my current image as a general technology guru and all-round old-fart no end of harm.:(

Cheers

Billy 8-{)