PDA

View Full Version : Programme for detecting hardware/software clashes?

johnnytalofa
25-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Hi there,

Does anyone know of any freeware/shareware for detecting software or hardware conflicts?

The reason I ask is that I recently reinstalled Win 98SE and since then have repreat freezing, which has to result in shutdown every time.

I am also getting a dreaded blue screen all the time which says:

"A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:C0031AC7. The current application will be closed". Actually nothing does close (that I can see) but it still freaks me.

Any help on these two would me most appreciated.

Thanks

Johnny

Spacemannz
25-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Device manager will usually tell you whats conflicting / not working. If you go there and see if anything has X or ! by it (the hardware). Thats the problem device. Not much use trying to see what detects software conflicts with shareware or freeware, if it brings up a blue screen.

Whatever software u use u wouldnt see what caused it anyway when the blue screen appears. BUT it looks like its an Outlook Express prob.

Update the Internet Explorer SP1 update that might fix it

Murray P
25-08-2004, 06:13 PM
> "A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:C0031AC7.
> The current application will be closed". Actually
> nothing does close (that I can see) but it still
> freaks me.

Hi Johnny, any more info after the 0028:C0031AC7 such as in VxD.................

Is there anything you in particular you are doing at the time (opening a programme, clicking a folder or link), what software are you running at the time (particularly AV like Nortons, background stuff). Why did you reinstall windows (need I ask ;) )

Cheers Murray P

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
25-08-2004, 06:21 PM
To complete your query, Fatal Exceptions can be a number of things, either hardware or software related. I know of no programmes for win 98 that will capture the event and give it back in a log like the event viewers for win2k and XP (someone might know). Once you narrow it down a bit you could then search system and programme logs to see if you can find the offending device or software.

In the meantime if you want a bit of light reading go here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;189655) plus the associated links to see if any describe you situation.

Cheers Murray P

Terry Porritt
25-08-2004, 07:28 PM
Here's another site with 0E exception error info.

http://www.infinisource.com/techfiles/fatal-0e-errors.html

Note it is 0E not OE, nothing to do with Outlook Express :)

Grotty drivers can cause problems. It's always a good troubleshooting practice to stop most programs except for Systray and Explorer from starting up using the options in msconfig, then if you dont get any problems re-instate programs one by one. If problems start again,you will have a pretty good idea which program is to blame.