PDA

View Full Version : Going Wireless...

c_sinclair
25-08-2004, 04:11 PM
I am wanting to go wireless because I dont use my homeline as I'm Deaf, so I wanna go wireless so I dont have to pay for the phone line that i NEVER use apart from use the internet on...

But How do i go wireless? What is required and all that?

Rob99
25-08-2004, 04:16 PM
woosh

c_sinclair
25-08-2004, 04:18 PM
i knew i should haved wrote my location..

Am in Rotorua...

Woosh not available till early 2005

Graham L
25-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Move. :D

c_sinclair
25-08-2004, 04:24 PM
am i only going to get silly answers?

I cant move due to educational reasons..
I cant get woosh because its not available..

come on..theres gotta be something???

Graham L
25-08-2004, 04:30 PM
Only teasing, Chris. They will of course extend the coverage to areas where they can expect the best return. At least Woosh don't have to dig horribly expensive holes in the roads to give connections. I don't think I'll ever see cable outside my house. Ever. They were going to do the whole of Christchurch. I never believed it.

stu120404
25-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Hello Chris :)

Nice new user name :D

> I am wanting to go wireless because I dont use my
> homeline as I'm Deaf, so I wanna go wireless so I
> dont have to pay for the phone line that i NEVER use
> apart from use the internet on...

Do you know of any Wireless ISP's which cover Rotorua?

Have you search Press F1, as there has been a few Wireless ISP mention on here

How about Xtra Wireless?

** Goes off & does some digging **

stu120404
25-08-2004, 06:06 PM
> How about Xtra Wireless?

Here is some information about it:

http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,5123,203313-202321,00.html

godfather
25-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Stu, Xtra Wireless is unlikely to available when ADSL service is also available. It will be rolled out only in areas where there is no ADSL, thinking logically. Why would they "compete" with themselves?

Chris, your needs are somewhat unique but the trap is that you need a phone line to have ADSL, and that uses network resources even though you don't need a phone.

If it was a main centre where Woosh is competing already you would get exactly what you need, but sounds like thats next year at the earliest.

c_sinclair
26-08-2004, 11:58 AM
I have heard rumours that telstra clear is being allowed to do Residental Homelines all over NZ thru the Telecom cables...thats why telecom has released new calling plans...

I had a quick look at telstraclears website...$29.95 homeline rental....and Telecom does $38 or more....so if the rumours are true then Telstra is going to get a customer :D me.....but if its not true...then telecom is gonna lose a customer...they will anyway if telstra was true..

I have also emailed Telecom regarding my issue and they said they have been looking into this for a while as some others have had the same issue...but i sometimes wonder how long is a "while" in telecoms dictionary...

godfather
26-08-2004, 12:21 PM
Telstra HomeLine relates only to areas where they have a Cable system.

"Residential phone lines are available in connectable areas of Christchurch and Wellington on their own or as part of a TelstraClear package"

So comparison with areas such as Rotorua where they have no Cable system is not valid.

If only we had LLU, then there would probably be a solution.

Chris, I would write a polite and informative letter to the Telecommunications ministers office. Not a slagging letter, but one outlining that your needs cannot be met under the present system, and ask politely if there will ever be Government policy for addressing such matters now that LLU is not going to proceed.

While you are unlikely to get a quick solution because of the letter, the least you will achieve is the raising of awareness of the perhaps unfair nature of the outcome as it stands.

c_sinclair
26-08-2004, 01:13 PM
LLU??

I have been thinking of writing a letter for a while but with the new Relay Service coming out and attention being on that, I thought i'll wait for a while, and yeah also am waiting for the response from Telecom themselves on what they have if anything...

Small Snippet from todays NZherald.co.nz article....which is where i got info about Telstra providing packages on Telecom's network system..

Telecom has launched two new monthly plans in the biggest shake-up of its pricing structure since the introduction of $5 capped calls in 1996.

The two new plans, Telecom Anytime and Anytime Plus, scrap peak and off-peak calling in favour of a flat rate for national calls.

National calls are also capped for up to two hours and calls to mobile phones are reduced in price. Anytime Plus costs around $10 a month more than Anytime but call charges are lower.

Telecom is making the move before TelstraClear offers its own residential retail services on Telecom's network.

Rob99
26-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Get a copy of NetGuide, in the back is a list of most ISP's, do a bulk email to all of them using the BCC field of your email client.
Just ask plain and simple questions:
Can you provide me with wireless internet?
How much does it cost?

godfather
26-08-2004, 01:57 PM
LLU

Local Loop Unbundling.

The Local Loop is the cable from your house to the exchange, thats owned by and monopolised by Telecom.

The ability of other Teleco's to offer their own services including the local loop is whats needed but the Government declined to unbundle it.

Its been covered here ad-nauseam, a search should provide the backgound. You must have missed the million or two posts on it....