PDA

View Full Version : DVD/CD Writer Combo

eef2
25-08-2004, 01:14 AM
I am looking to purchase the above drive to slot in where my old CD ROM drive was in my Gateway PIII 500mB, 256 Ram computer. HD is 4gB split into C and D drive, roughly 2 GgB each.
What should I specify where I want only to read DVDs, and to read and write to CDs?
I am told that such things cost around $80.
Can anyone suggest an online site to buy from? ?:|
Regards,
eef2.

KatiMike
25-08-2004, 01:27 AM
Hi buddy , what's the OS?
Have put a couple of these (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=284466) and they've been great :)

KatiMike
25-08-2004, 01:29 AM
... I've installed a couple of these (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=284466) and they've been fine ... makes mental note to preview posts ...

eef2
25-08-2004, 01:32 AM
Thanks, KatiMike.
Have bookmarked your page for future use.
Am running the Dinosaur Win 98 SE.
Regards,
eef2

KatiMike
25-08-2004, 01:51 AM
Hi eef2 , also running 98se with 256 RAM , and the Samsung runs sweet [ using an Athlon 1800+ processor ] , tho I can't see any " minimum " requirement either on Ascent or the linked Samsaung site , others here may be able to say if 500 MHz is enough , good luck in your quest :)

eef2
25-08-2004, 08:45 AM
Thanks again, KatiMike (near Katikati?)

I, too, searched for " minimum requirements " on their page, but the Samsung pop-up that appeared was too large for it's pop-up box - that is, their feedback box was too small for all their information. So I tried to send it back to them as an attachment so they would know that we would appreciate " minimum requirements " on their page. Unfortunately, this morning, that email to them bounced, so "service" @ sumsung.com does not exist. :O
Hope the weather over your way is OK today. BTW you are OK, aren't you?
Not having to be evacuated lately, or anything?
Regards,
eef2

kiwibeat
26-08-2004, 10:17 AM
If you can afford it buy a liteon dvd writer and bigger HDD 4 gigs is tiny

eef2
26-08-2004, 08:41 PM
OK, well I've gone ahead and got hold of the original deal and so far I get 2 out of 3. :)
I can read CDs and DVDs.
The remaining feature I am still working on - writing to a CD.
Ive tried 2 kinds. CD-R, and CD-RW but so far, neither is recognised in the drive., although I suspect the computer reports it falsely as the first box to pop up on screen was one offerring to format the CD-RW. Didn't get this with the CD-R.
Software help screens show that with the MRW technology, CD-R's are the wrong disks anyway.
Cheers, all.
eef2