PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know if TradeMe has changed their site?

Supertrooper
24-08-2004, 10:33 PM
Up til this afternoon I've had no problems logging in to TradeMe.
This evening I come home and I simply can't access the site, so I'm wondering if they've upgraded their site somehow and now it refuses to load on my PC.
For the benefit of those who don't know, I am running 2 PCs, both with Windows 2000 Pro on them. One is connected to the net via Woosh, and the second PC is networked to this one using wireless.
I'm running ICS on the first machine and I can get to pretty much any site I like on the host machine.
However, I've always had troubles getting to some sites on the client machine, some sites just refuse to load at all - and now TradeMe has joined that list. Yet I can access it on the host without a problem.

Any thoughts?

supergran
24-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Don't know if they have changed it, but I can access it with dial up without a problem. I know they had problems last week, or the weekend, but that was weather caused.

Baldy
24-08-2004, 10:46 PM
loads virtually instantly for me on dial-up

Supertrooper
24-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Yep, I can get to TradeMe using the host PC - but for some reason it refuses to load on the client now, yet it was Ok this morning. Very strange.

Budda
25-08-2004, 08:36 AM
there site has been up and down last couple of days, rumors are its got something to do with a cable being hit during the storms in wellington

stu120404
25-08-2004, 12:21 PM
> there site has been up and down last couple of days,
> rumors are its got something to do with a cable being
> hit during the storms in wellington

yeath, that is true

george12
25-08-2004, 02:26 PM
I know the problem. I had it myself. When you set up internet connection sharing, the MTU is sometimes set to 1500. This often doesn't work with sites, and they will simply refuse to load.

To change your MTU, run regedit (start->run->'regedit') and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Inter
faces\<ID for Adapter>

The ID for your adapter when clicked will show recognisable values such as your IP address and default gateway.

Create (or change if it's there) a value called MTU (Dword) and set it to, in this order,

Each time restarting and trying again. Choose the highest of the three numbers that work.

1400 is a very safe MTU that should always work, however higher numbers will get better performance. If you just want a quick fix, I would suggest 1462 as this worked perfectly for me.

Cheers, George