PDA

View Full Version : OT - Stupid Car Stickers

Steve_L
24-08-2004, 10:26 PM
Something that I've wondered about for a long time is those stickers on the back car windows that say "Baby on Board". I've asked a number of people, including parents of rug rats and no one knows what the stickers are supposed to mean - except for one person who said it might be there to warn motorists that the driver might be distracted by the baby so to keep a good distance from their car.

Any other ideas of what "Baby on Board" is supposed to mean, serious or not so serious? :^O Or any other stupid car stickers ya wanna bring up?

godfather
24-08-2004, 10:30 PM
One that I like better than the meaningless "baby on board" is "mother-in-law in boot"

metla
24-08-2004, 10:33 PM
It means back off,take extra care,do not ram my car I have a baby onboard.

I agree they are stupid,people generally don't ram others on purpose,and those that do won't be pausing to read whose in the car before impact.

tweak\'e
24-08-2004, 10:37 PM
i think the orginal idea was to let people know their was a baby in the car so in an emergency they would know to look for a baby.

however now its a case of "don't crash into me i have a baby on board", like it makes any difference ! :(

Steve_L
24-08-2004, 10:41 PM
>It means back off,take extra care,do not ram my car I have a baby onboard.

Yeah, that's what I first thought but then like you say, no one rams a car on purpose (unless deranged and then no sticker would make a diff I guess) so then I thought there must be a more esoteric meaning. But maybe it is just another stupid sticker????? Dunno, I have even asked nurses and those who work with kids.

metla
24-08-2004, 10:42 PM
you have to take into consideration the mentality of the mothers who would purchase one thunking it is usefull.

Baldy
24-08-2004, 10:49 PM
> you have to take into consideration the mentality of
> the mothers who would purchase one thunking it is
> usefull.

They are usually given away free. I know Plunket hands them out with the bay seat rentals.

Steve_L
24-08-2004, 10:50 PM
Tweak'e: yep, thot of that also, but then this is assuming that everytime someone drives the car, the baby is actually on board. Surely for most car trips the baby would not be on board but I doubt if the sticker is then covered up. Metla seems to be on track...

>you have to take into consideration the mentality of the mothers who would purchase one thunking it is usefull.

:^O :^O

sam m
24-08-2004, 10:52 PM
They are supposed to make you think about your driving.
Bit like those crosses that are on the side of the road.
The idea is to make people think "If I drive like an idiot and hit a car then there may just be a baby on board that I might be responsible for killing" or something along those lines.

Steve_L
24-08-2004, 10:53 PM
As long as this thread of mine is OT, I wonder if you PF1'ers saw the Olympic crowd booing and jeering after that Russian gymnast got a lower than expected score. Evidently the judges changed the score after the crowd carried on for ten minutes!! Must have been a first for this sort of thing at an Olympics?!?! Ha! Power to the people!

Steve_L
24-08-2004, 10:57 PM
>They are supposed to make you think about your driving.

Sam, OK, this must be the reason. I can swallow this. Similarly, remember that TV advert awhile back that showed a woman who hit a car in front of her? She came out and said "your child is OK" (looking at the child in the back seat) but the driver was pregnant and her child inside her was not OK as it seemed the steering wheel impacted the uterus. For me, this was a powerful reminder to drive safely.

Steve_L
24-08-2004, 10:58 PM
>I know Plunket hands them out with the bay seat rentals.

Ah ha! So all I need to do is to ring Plunket and ask them what the stickers are all about! :)

sam m
24-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Mine was the guy that hit the girl on the bike. He was going only 60km in a 50km and the girl came out of nowhere.
It takes having kids myself to realise if I did that to someone else then I could never live with myself.

BTW..... the Russian never got his points adjusted.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
24-08-2004, 11:14 PM
> Mine was the guy that hit the girl on the bike. He
> was going only 60km in a 50km and the girl came out
> of nowhere.

Ironically enough the child was on a road, unsupervised, without a helmet.

metla
24-08-2004, 11:37 PM
I generally use loud abusive language and hand gestures to remind others how they should drive,Many repay my kindness with much of the same.

Elephant
24-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Those stickers or labels with "Baby on board" are so old now the baby will be just about a teen. Ever looked inside a car sporting the label. Haven't actually seen a baby in the car for some time. Certainly not in a car restraint.

exLL
25-08-2004, 12:07 AM
Maybe they are very erratic drivers and expect loud horn blasts from irate drivers.

With a bumper sticker, irate drivers might desist in case it wakes the baby. :D :D

beama
25-08-2004, 12:20 AM
I like the biker t shirt that reads
" if you can read this he/she must have fallen off"

R2x1
25-08-2004, 12:23 AM
I thought "Baby on Board" was an economy baby restraint - staple the little varmint onto a plank and wedge it in somewhere.
R2

exLL
25-08-2004, 12:46 AM
> As long as this thread of mine is OT, I wonder if you
> PF1'ers saw the Olympic .........................

Re the 20km walking event it suprises me how they get away with calling it walking.
Per Google, walking is defined as a progression of steps where one foot must always be in contact with the ground.

At times, especially near the end when they were nearing the stadium, it looked as if they were totally airborne.
I taped it, and found it hard to check, but in slow motion and when the sun cast a shadow in certain positions, it clearly showed that there was a distinct clear gap between their feet and their shadow. The first, second and third place-getters were definitely airborne quite often. :(

At the last Opympics, it was laughable, the first and second placed were about 15cm above the ground a lot of the time as they neared the stadium. :D

Maybe there is an invention waiting. Sensors in each shoe that emit a warning if each detects an air gap at the same time.

I'm not putting them down, it is just that they are not racing according to the rules and it is unfair on those who do it properly. :|

KatiMike
25-08-2004, 12:59 AM
"Baby on board" [ or as I saw once overseas "Bebe en board" - work of the French Plunket perhaps ? ] - if it serves as a reminded to drive safe , good one .
Other car stickers make me feel like killing ...
" If it's rockin' don't bother knockin'" ...
" Don't laugh , your daughter may be inside "...
and F#$k ... "my other car is a Rolls " !!!!! X-(

R2x1
25-08-2004, 01:01 AM
And the universal bumper sticker-

Land rights for gay whales

KatiMike
25-08-2004, 01:05 AM
:^O :^O

R2x1
25-08-2004, 01:09 AM
Sorry,

FORESHORE ACCESS FOR GAY WHALES

[/update]
R2

mikebartnz
25-08-2004, 01:34 AM
Yeh to read them you have to get too close for comfort so they defeat the purpose.

mikebartnz
25-08-2004, 01:38 AM
>Must have been a first for this sort of thing at an Olympics?
No it wasn't as the boxing in Hong Kong or where ever it was had some very dodgy dealings.

mikebartnz
25-08-2004, 01:41 AM
>He was going only 60km in a 50km and the girl came out of nowhere.
And any stupid person who runs straight onto a road as she did deserves anything they get.

mikebartnz
25-08-2004, 01:45 AM
sorry had the wrong one. Was thinking of the jogger that ran straight out onto the road.
I know of someone who backed over a kid in the driveway and it haunted him to his dying days.

SKT174
25-08-2004, 02:10 AM
Interesting ... (http://www.fastandsafe.org/site.aspx/Pages/factsAndMyths)

mikebartnz
25-08-2004, 03:05 AM
Very.

sam m
25-08-2004, 07:42 AM
> Ironically enough the child was on a road,
> unsupervised, without a helmet.

No disputing the girl and those that were responsible for her supervision were at fault. There were actually 2 versions of this AD. They rarely played the 2nd but in this version he was driving at 50km and he stopped less than a metre in front and both got a shock but she lived.

The point of the ad was 'If only......."

paulw
25-08-2004, 08:21 AM
"Baby on Board" as I heard it orginated in the US after a series of fatal card crashes where kids were in the back seat but due the the damage to the car weere overlook by the rescue people. So Baby on Board signs were introduced to alert the rescue people that there were children in the car as well as adults.

I do agree that thay should not be used when there are no kids in the car and some of these signs are so old that the kids are now driving their own cars..

Alasta
25-08-2004, 09:35 AM
I recently saw one that read:
"This is a stupid yellow sign."

Another one I liked was on this lowered Japanese performance car with mags, tints, etc. It read:
"Don't laugh. Your daughter could be inside."

Chilling_Silence
25-08-2004, 10:00 AM
Hehe... I was just goin to post exactly what Alasta just said..

We actually had our Van fail a W.O.F. because we had that sign on the back window just two months ago ?:|

Spartacus
25-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Not on a car, but a sign of equal relevance somewhere in America:

'Do not throw stones at this sign'

S.

godfather
25-08-2004, 12:56 PM
The truth.
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/babysign.htm

paulw
25-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Well there you have it.. The real story. Good link..

Judging by the way some of those with these signs drive in NZ the sign should be placed on the windshield in front of the driver to remind them that there is a "baby on board"..

Steve_L
26-08-2004, 03:36 PM
Godfather - thanks for the link to Snopes Urban Legends. I especially like the following:

>>>Because few situations or admonitions are deemed so serious that they rule out all opportunity for humor, straightforward "there's a child in the car, so drive carefully" requests quickly spawned a number of parodies, including "Baby Driving," "Warning: Baby is Closer Than it Appears," and the ever-popular "Baby Carries No Cash." :^O It wasn't long before some communities were attempting to bar these parody signs, stating their presence took away from the message conveyed in the original and worked to desensitize drivers to what was meant as a safety measure. Michael Lerner was similarly displeased by the parodies because he believed they mocked a serious effort to achieve safer roads. ''Our concept was to really improve driver awareness of child safety,'' he said. ''Car accidents are the number one cause of child deaths in the United States.'' In 1986 a study conducted by a Bronx assemblyman's office found humorous plays on the "Baby on Board" sign outnumbered the real thing by five to one.