PDA

View Full Version : FAQ #05 - About the PCWorld cover CDs

-FAQ-
24-08-2004, 05:47 PM
FAQ #05 - About the PCWorld cover CDs

Originally written by SoniKalien

Hey I just got the latest PCWorld and the CD doesn't work! I've tried it in other PC's, and other CDs work in my drive. What gives?

Sometimes during the manufacturing process, a couple of duds come out. Sometimes more than a couple come out. If you are sure that it is the CD and not anything other factor, send an e-mail to Scott Bartley (mailto:scott_bartley@idg.co.nz) at PCWorld and ask (very nicely) for a replacement.

Oh great, now the CD keeps crashing / stalling / stuffing up my PC when I insert it!

The loader is made from a shockwave application. Sometimes it might not work properly and misbehave. Try this:

1 - Open "My Computer" so you can see all your drives.
2 - Eject the CD tray.
3 - Very carefully (and I mean carefully! it might go off!) place the CD on the tray.
4 - Press the "Shift" key and hold it down. Don't let go untill I say so!
5 - Still holding "Shift"? Good. Insert the CD ito the drive.
6 - Now, still holding down that "Shift" key, turn your attention to "My Computer".
7 - When your normal CD icon transmogrifies into a yellow PCWorld icon, you can let go of the "Shift" key.
8 - Nearly there.
9 - Right click with your mouse on the icon. This is important. Do not Double Click!
10 - From the menu that pops up, select "Open", not "Autoplay".
11 - You can now double click on the file called "index.htm" to view the CD.

I installed this program off the cover disk and it doesn't work!

For particular application support, please refer to manufacturer of the software. Please also remeber that most of the software is shareware or demos. That means they dont work unless you pay for them. Particularly Robo's favourite : Partition Magic.

Where can I find a list of what's on the CD?

Buy the mag. Inside and usually near the front, there is a list of what is available on the CD. There is also a contents list on the CD.

The PC World Plus CD contents index of CDs from December 2001 to May 2004 was on the May 2004 cover CD. If you do not have this CD the list is available in this thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=44411&message=244891&q=index#244891).

__________________________________________________ __________

Author's note: I am in no way affiliated with PCWorld Magazine, IDG communications, or President Bush. I take no responsiblity for anything whatsoever. Life is more fun this way. I cannot accept claims for damages caused by exploding CD's. I warned you.

Original FAQ available from here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=25052).