PDA

View Full Version : More Patently Nonsensical Patent Concerns



Murray P
24-08-2004, 02:16 PM
MS Patents sud command (http://www.orangecrate.com/article.php?sid=785).

Where is this all leading to? Is it the obvious or are there benign designs at play here.

Cheers Murray P

PS. I was tempted to head this as OT, but on second thoughts the subject is pretty basic to computing and touches everyone whether noobs or pro's so, I figure it's right on topic.

Murray P
24-08-2004, 02:30 PM
Extract from bottom of the patent application. Yes I did check copyright before posting ;) (and it's the sudo command not sud as per my link above)

"It should be apparent that although the examples above are described illustratively as being computer appliances operating in a Microsoft Windows.RTM. environment, the invention is not to be limited to such specific examples, and the inventions may be practiced in general purpose computers or computers with operating systems other than Windows.RTM., such as Unix or Linux.

Although the invention has been described in language specific to structural features and/or methodological steps, it is to be understood that the invention defined in the appended claims is not necessarily limited to the specific features or acts described. Rather, the specific features and acts are disclosed as preferred forms of implementing the claimed invention."

Cheers Murray P

Graham L
24-08-2004, 05:08 PM
Why would Microsoft need to steal sudo? There's no security to make it necessary. :D

R2x1
24-08-2004, 05:27 PM
It is against the law to hit people on the head and take their money. Other means of extraction are needed. A large dose of corporate inanity is helpful, as well as a deficit of ability and conscience. So, if you qualify, get a big legal department and have a go at it. It is obviously easier than making a good product.

mikebartnz
24-08-2004, 05:27 PM
There is such a thing as prior art.
It has got absolutely ridiculous what they are trying to patent. They even managed to patent an apple (edible variety) by mistake. The yankee patent system is starting to look pathetic.
I think they are just aquiring patents for when their business goes slack and they can start using SCO tactics.

Murray P
24-08-2004, 07:09 PM
GL, makes you wonder at the logic doesn't it, apparently they have employed an Unix/Linux expert, apparently, to make/allow inter-operation of MS products with nix possible, in a pigs ear (I don't thing they are absolutely head over heals with Samba, Apache, etc). Anyway as you say they will still need something to apply the command to, now let me see, what are they working on now........ hmmm, maybe a new kernel for Longwait, you'd never get to know though would you ;) However it would be a good move in the scheme of things for PC users in general.

Embrace, standardise, control.

Cheers Murray P

mikebartnz
25-08-2004, 01:28 AM
>they have employed an Unix/Linux expert,
I'm not sure he took the job because I think he did not like their true motives.
>new kernel for Longwait,
At least the knowledgable now don't beleive any time frame MS give for a product because they have got too used to the vapour ware from them to kill interest in a product from elsewhere.
If they would just produce a good product without having to stifle any competition they would become a far more credible company

drb1
28-08-2004, 12:19 AM
> MS
> Patents sud command (http://www.orangecrate.com/article.php?sid=785).
>
> Where is this all leading to? Is it the obvious or
> are there benign designs at play here.
>
> Cheers Murray P
>
> PS. I was tempted to head this as OT, but on second
> thoughts the subject is pretty basic to computing and
> touches everyone whether noobs or pro's so, I figure
> it's right on topic.

sudo is used an aful lot by knoppix in particular, which is a very popular FREE distro N/America.

You gotta pay micropriate for sudo in N/A harder to distro 4 free. Anticompetitive trade practice in common language.