PDA

View Full Version : Google - What words get you actual free programs

pulling hair out
24-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Hi
I googled to look for a "free" program to give me a transparent taskbar.
My taskbar runs on the left side of my screen and would like it transparent.
Am running XP.

I put in "transparent taskbar" + freeware into Google.
I get miles of shareware with a free download of a trial of the program.
You can't believe what they say anymore. I am tired of going into sites, spend time denying all their cookies, only to find it is not really free afterall.

So, can anyone either tell me ways to ensure I get a selection of sites with the program I want for free OR can you tell me of a free program to make my taskbar transparent.

Thanks, Marg.

Graham L
24-08-2004, 01:50 PM
Searching is tricky. :D

After having a look with your search, I tried using the "Advanced Search".

Even with
exact phrase transparent taskbar
at least one of free
without shareware trial

it was still a bit down the list to the link to "Illucidate Transparency Control". That's free, and only 1.6MB to download, so it might be worth a try.

Bit of a bother isn't it, all these people wanting to be paid for siftware? :D

pulling hair out
24-08-2004, 01:58 PM
Thanks Graham

>>Bit of a bother isn't it, all these people wanting to be paid for siftware?

Not half as much bother as my ability to pay for it. I know they are doing a great job and would "donate" if able.

Thanks for the free suggestion. Will go there now.

Regards, Marg. :-)

metla
24-08-2004, 01:59 PM
also

Vitrite 1.0

"Vitrite is a tiny utility that allows you to manually adjust the level of transparency for almost any visible window. It works by utilizing a feature built into Windows 2000/XP (and all later incarnations) for variable window transparency. Vitrite is written in C and licensed under the GNU General Public License."

Chris Randal
24-08-2004, 01:59 PM
Try going to cnet.com. There you can ask just for "freeware".

tommy
24-08-2004, 02:26 PM
It may not be what you want but are you aware that you are able to hide your taskbar until you hover your mouse over the edge of the screen to unhide it? You can make this setting by going to Start, Control Panel, Taskbar and Start Menu and put tick in "Auto-hide the taskbar".

pulling hair out
24-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Thanks Metla:
It's really simple to use. Haven't tried the toggle a "windows always on top" flag yet. Also want to see if it works on a horoscope wheel of an old program done in Visual Basic. Will be handy in my calculations.

Thanks Chris, I did download it from cnet.

Thanks Tommy:
I already have the taskbar on autohide. With the bar on the side it is a lot wider than when at the bottom of the screen.

The help here on PF1 forum is really good. :D
regards, Marg

_david_
24-08-2004, 04:45 PM
gday, i just downloaded Vitrite 1.0, its a pretty cool tiny tiny program huh. makes the desktop pretty nifty.

dave.

Rob99
24-08-2004, 04:54 PM
**** sitting back waiting for all the people who install crap like this to ****
**** post back saying there computer is going much slower now ****

pulling hair out
24-08-2004, 06:05 PM
>>**** sitting back waiting for all the people who install crap like this to ****
**** post back saying there computer is going much slower now ****

In my case, I'm a real slowpoke on the computer anyway, so if there is any difference in speed on my computer I wouldn't notice.

Also, tried it out on one of my programs and being able to see through one window into the next without forever going in and out of them, will actually increase my speed in calculations.

But mention cookies, operations timed out etc that slow down my flicking through the net - these are the biggest drawbacks I come across.

All cookies should be banned. My personal opinion anyway. Does anyone know the limit for Firefox's cookie exception box where you enter all cookie sites you want blocked ?

I'm not saying that your opinion is incorrect, you post so much helpful info in this forum which is really appreciated, but in my case its just so damn conveniant to have something like that, regardless of loss of speed.

Regards Marg.

_david_
24-08-2004, 07:37 PM
:D i think you may be sitting back waiting for a while, cos my comp has not slowed at all.

have a grand day.
dave.