PDA

View Full Version : PC Company Motherboards

vekon
24-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Hi. Need a bit of advice here about these particular motherboards which is built by the PC Company people.
I am about to buy one with a PentiumII 400Mhz cpu and with onboard sound and 64MB. I'm getting through a Trade Me ad. But i'm picking it up later on.
I hear that these computers had to have a recovery disc of some kind to get them up and running? Are they like Compaq and HP computer motherboards? Simple and green with hardly any thing you can do to adjust settings? Those type of computers is way way out of my liking. I use to like Compaq and HP and IBM etc. But they all the same built equipment. Anyway. What's your advice?

Rob99
24-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Make sure the disc's are still avaliable. I have not delt with the model you specified but another one I have delt with had the complete OS with it altho the disk was printed by PC Company.
How cheep is that computer?
Have a look here (http://www.molten.org.nz/pages/refurbishedsystems.html)

KatiMike
24-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Others here will have more idea , but I think PC Co motherboards were often ECS [Elitegroup]

Spacemannz
24-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Compaq and other PC's DON'T have to have a restore disk. You can install any version of Windows on them. Depending on which version of Windows, you reinstall on them. BUT you MAY have to download drivers for things like the sound, or modem (also depending on which version of Windows you install on it). I fixed up a Compaq a few months ago.

Totally reinstalled 2000 on it from CD. No probs at all. Only thing I had to find was a BIOS update for it, as the user wanted an 80GB hdd in it, (full not partitioned), and the BIOS that was in it at the time, didnt know what an 80 GB was! It kept crashing with an error.

BUT once I got the right BIOS, it was up and running in no time.

drcspy
24-08-2004, 12:50 PM
in my experience pc co mobos are not that reliable..... they often had the habit of blowing capacitors and man, they're a hassle to unsolder then replace. Those old ECS purple motherboards did it more than usual I rekcon

metla
24-08-2004, 01:09 PM
> Compaq and other PC's DON'T have to have a restore
> disk. You can install any version of Windows on them.
> Depending on which version of Windows, you reinstall
> on them. BUT you MAY have to download drivers for
> things like the sound, or modem (also depending on
> which version of Windows you install on it). I fixed
> up a Compaq a few months ago.
>
> Totally reinstalled 2000 on it from CD. No probs at
> all.

Bear in mind that w2k costs about 300 odd dollars,making the option of buying a computer without cd's and purchasing an os poor value for money.And then possibly paying someone else to install the os,find all the drivers and install them.......

And you have little chance of finding drivers for computers from companies that have gone the way of Anton LaVey.

vekon
24-08-2004, 01:26 PM
Well, it's for only $40. I managed to get the S/N: M9902080745
Its a MicroATX motherboard and its a goldy looking color. The guy tells me its got an auto cpu detection system which means no settings on motherboard for voltage or other jumpers.
I heard too that PC Company is back in business but under another name but not sure what.

metla
24-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Can't go wrong for 40 bucks.

The pc company is sort of back in business,in that it has morphed into another company,as PC Company was just the most recent in a long line of failure all headed by the one guy.

Spacemannz
24-08-2004, 02:04 PM
I was giving an example. Im not saying you HAVE to install 2k. You can install anything you like even Linux. If you know how to install it / use it!

To avoid using or trying to figure out what a restore disk can / can't do or whatever it is called. IMO they suck. Thats why I dont buy PC's like Compaq. I'll rather make my own. At least they work with anything u chuck in em.

vekon
24-08-2004, 02:14 PM
i do know this that for compaq or any others like it for example IBM, HP etc, usually if you end up formatting the hard drive clean, then you must use a restore disk to load the BIOS info onto a small partition. And that is what I don't wanna have to end up doing if this PC Co motherboard is the same thing. I won't know until i fire it up I suppose.

tweak\'e
24-08-2004, 03:15 PM
don't worry. PcCo never made any of their own boards like compaq/hp/dell/ibm do. at worse it will have a customised bios, which can be flashed with the manafactures one if need be.