PDA

View Full Version : Rotation of a number of pictures together

Mike S
24-08-2004, 08:31 AM
I was flicking through an old copy of PC World (as one does) and came across a little gem, or so I thought. Dave Johnson , writing in the Dec/Jan edition last, says that in XP you can select a whole load of images and rotate them en masse; that option is said to appear if one right clicks one of the selected images. Well I have XP Home and that option doesn't appear.

Is this yet another cool item left out of Home edition? Does anybody know a way of doing the mass rotation job anyway please?

Needless to say, I don't have the XP program disc as I bought the machine from PB Technology with XP already loaded.

Mike S

Spacemannz
24-08-2004, 08:42 AM
You should be able to rotate a pic in BOTH pro and Home. Just click on the pic (in My Computer). XP will preview it. Then use the ^ ^ which look like islands to rotate. Not to sure if you can rotate more than 1 pic at a time.

Havent tried that trick yet

Rob99
24-08-2004, 08:43 AM
Not too sure as it is an option with my XP Pro which I have here, altho I dont know if I have always had this or if it was one of the "power toys" for xp, you could have a look there.
Or tell us whar graphics handling programs you have already.

Mike S
24-08-2004, 09:05 AM
I use JASC Paint Shop Pro 8; I believe, rightly or wrongly, that I can only 'treat' one pic at a time in that platform??

Mike S

Rob99
24-08-2004, 09:21 AM
Here (http://www.jasc.com/support/customercare/articles/psp8components.asp) is where you will find instructions for Paint Shop Pro.
Just had a look at the Quick referience guide ad you will have to create a script to work with multiple images.
Sorry I cant be of more help as I dont use that program. But the instructions from the above website look very good and easy to follow.

Mike S
24-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Thank you. Sounds good. I'll have a look at that.

It would be nice to do it in the XP environment. I've been meaning to play with Power Toys. I might have a play to see if it's an included item, though Dave Johnson referred to it as a standard part of XP - though WHICH Win XP is the question, as always!?

Mike S

Murray P
24-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Irfanview has various rotaion options in File (menu) > Batch Conversion/Rename > Set Advanced Options.

Depending on the number and size of the images, you may need a bit of ram istalled to carry out the task at any speed above a crawl. 1 at a time is enough for me in PS Elements.

Cheers Murray P

xtraka
24-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Yes you can roate images on XP home or Pro - have tried this myself. Just make sure that you click View menu, then Thumbnails. Use your mouse to select images, right click & Rotate wherever. Only works for gifs, jpgs, maybe some others, but not tifs.

Mike S
24-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Your comments don't sem to apply to my version of XP Home. When I select a group of images and right-click on one, the menu oprions do not include rotate. What I get is: -

[b]Open[b/]
Open With >
Refresh Thumbnail
---------------------------
Scan Virus
Send To >
Cut
Copy
----------------------------
Create Shortcut
Delete
Rename
----------------------------
Properties

I can send you a screen shot of you wish (and can advise a destination).

Mike S

metla
24-08-2004, 02:26 PM
do u have thumbnail view enabled?

tommy
24-08-2004, 04:12 PM
> Your comments don't sem to apply to my version of XP
> Home. When I select a group of images and
> right-click on one, the menu oprions do not include
> rotate. What I get is: -

I have Windows XP Home SP1 and with the Thumbnails view my menu has two rotate options - rotate clockwise and rotate counter clockwise.

Mike S
24-08-2004, 07:50 PM
I must have thumbnail view enabled, as I can see all my pictures as pictures.

Mike S

Spacemannz
24-08-2004, 08:24 PM
You double click on a pic Mike, then select rotate. There's no option to rotate when you use the right mouse button.

Spacemannz
24-08-2004, 08:28 PM
Oh no I lie! I just tried it with right mouse button. There is an option to multi rotate pics. BUT some may not rotate due to their size. This is in Pro.

You select ALL then right mouse then rotate clockwise, or counter clockwise. Didnt see that before. That was in Filmstrip mode

Mike S
24-08-2004, 08:52 PM
I ran 'msinfo32' and got
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.260 Service Pack 1 Build 2600

To me this looks like I too have SP1 version. And yet you see above the list of options I get when I right click one of a group of selected pictures.

Even if I click (right) on one thumbnail pic I get the same choices - rotate not included.

I must have been short-changed in some way or other

Mike S

Spacemannz
24-08-2004, 09:07 PM
My options are:

Preview
Edit
Print
Refresh Thumbnail

Rotate Clockwise
Rotate Counterwise
Set as Desktop Background

Open With ---> Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
Internet Explorer
Choose Program

Powerarchive Options

Scan with AV
Scan with Trojan Remover

Send To

Cut
Copy
Create Shortcut
Delete
Rename
Properties

Maybe the rotate options only appear if you have some kind of program for graphics installed?? I have Paintshop Pro 8 installed.

BUT I dont think so.