PDA

View Full Version : Orcon's 'FREE Static IP" is gone! :O

george12
24-08-2004, 12:45 AM
When going to the Orcon website to look at the beautiful Bitstream plan that would bring me my static IP address today, I found to my horror that all mention of Orcon offering a static IP address had been removed.

I blame Telecom. Yes, I have read the press releases but this has still come as a shock. I guess I'll be getting cable instead.

I seriously HATE telecom for disallowing the static IP addresses, don't mind so much about the 10GB aggregate but...

X-( :_| :( X-( :_| :( X-( :_| :( waaaah!!!

There we go, my wrath has been released.

george12
24-08-2004, 12:48 AM
Oh yeah, the actual point of this thread:

Does anybody know where I can get internet that is:

- about $50/mo
- as fast as possible
- about 3 GB / month
- static IP address

And allow serving. Just like Orcon before telecom decided to be a !@#$%^& (see above)

Cheers,
George

Murray P
24-08-2004, 01:29 AM
Pardise Cable (http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/highspeed/) $60.80/mth for 5GB cap or look at bundling phone and TV for a saving - Packages (http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/packages/popular_packages_2.cfm)

They have no problems with static and servers AFAIK.

Cheers Murray P

Budda
24-08-2004, 08:32 AM
well if you can i would play wait and see, orcon did say they were going to take it on the nose and keep flat rate with static ip but then govt stepped there useless so and so's in again too late as usual. So i would say they are going to wait and see what happens with that before they make anymore anouncements that telecon will willy nilly change :)

my two cents :)

paulw
24-08-2004, 09:35 AM
If you email them when you get their ADSL product they will most likely give you a fixed IP address for free..

Chilling_Silence
24-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Just outa curiousity, can I ask what makes you suggest that Orcon would do that whilst other ISP's are requiring you pay for it?

paulw
24-08-2004, 01:20 PM
I asked and got..

Jester
24-08-2004, 02:07 PM
If you are with Orcon, look at http://www.orcon.net.nz/myaccount/ and check what it says there. Mine says:

DSL DSL access is currently enabled.
You have Jetstream access configured with a static IP address of 222.XXX.XX.XXX
You are currently online, and your IP address is: 222.XXX.XX.XXX.

You have attempted to connect 1 time(s) this cycle, and spent 38:00:04 hrs:min:sec online.

george12
24-08-2004, 10:29 PM
I e-mailed them, the WILL give you a free static IP address, they're just not allowd to advertise it. Yay!

Rang XTRA and closed my Jetstream account today, and I signed up for Jetstream Surf at Orcon while I wait for Bitstream.

barmypom
25-08-2004, 09:22 PM
Out of interest - what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a static IP?

stu120404
25-08-2004, 09:56 PM
> Out of interest - what are the advantages and
> disadvantages of having a static IP?

You have a good point there barmypom

One disadvantage I can see with having a static IP, is that you could have more change of getting hacked or other bad thing happened

One advantage I can see with having a static IP, is that you can run a server of it.

Hope this helps :)

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
25-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Personally, I think that, except if you want to run a server, you really don't need a static IP. If you don't need it, it will just bring greater risk of bad things happening to you. Also, if you've been naughty, forums can block your IP.... :p ;-) ]:) whereas, if you had a dynamic one, you could just reconnect to obtain a different IP to get into the forum.

Just my thoughts anyway...

fairway
26-08-2004, 12:14 AM
I am confused here ..
Static IP...
Dynamic IP ...
Rotating IP...
IP nighty ?
so can I have a brief definition of these, in English with small words of great meaning

Wayne H
26-08-2004, 08:38 AM
Static IP = An ip address that does not Change. This is used by people and organisations that run servers so people can connect to them from where ever and be sure to get the correct server. Imagine running a business that had a changing ip and you needed your sales reps to be able to run a program to your server, first they had to find thier server on the internet change the address for the program that they wanted to run and then use it. not as easy as it sounds without a third party app like ezydns or no-ip.
ISP's have a pool of ip addresses that they share with users, say 400 ip's for 2800 users (not expecting all users to be on at the same time.) this cuts cost for the ISP as they have to pay for every block of addresses that they use. (AFAIK all dial up ISP has Dynamic IP)
Dynamic IP = An ip address that is randomly given out to users as and when they need it. this makes hacking dial up slightly harder 'cause if you were only on the internet for three minutes checking email they have three minutes to identify your OS, and try to run some exploit then you close your connection and some one else connects, they get your IP that you had 2 seconds ago and the exploit that the hacker was trying to run does not work because the new person has a different OS.
some one else could explin rotating ip it sounds logical enough, however I have not heard that term used in IP's so if I give the logical answer and there was no such thing it make me look like a bigger tosser than I am.

And for the last one my neice uses dry nights so it does not worry her.