PDA

View Full Version : Dam Speech bubbles and little white squares.

Newteach
23-08-2004, 10:23 PM
Could someone please tell me how to stop those little speech bubbles and squares popping up all over the place. You know the one that pops up after you've just connected to the internet and it pops up to tell you how fast your connection is. Or the sucker that pops up to tell you that you have new software installed, on your start bar. Could someone please tell me how to stop them.

Nicola.

andrew93
23-08-2004, 11:16 PM
Hi Nicola, there was a thread on this exact topic recently and you will find a couple of answers here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=35250&message=164308&q=xp+balloon#164308)
HTH, Andrew

Rob99
23-08-2004, 11:22 PM
Start > run > regedit
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced
Make a new "DWORD" value and call it "EnableBalloonTips"
Give it a decimal value of 0
Click ok

Laura
23-08-2004, 11:22 PM
Hi Nicola:
You'll have to give a lot more information for anyone to be able to help you with those 2 queries - like you're talking vague stuff here.
( *little speech bubbles* etc )
People need to know details about your computer's specifications & what you are doing/trying to do when you get problems before they can analyse how to fix them.

So I checked past posts & info for newteach.
The O/S seems to be XP Pro on a laptop linked to a school server.
The original poster wasn't you.
So maybe the new hardware mentioned in your second query was installed by him?
And if he's a family member, ask him what it was before someone advises how to deal with that.

As for the speech bubbles - you have Incredimail installed, according to earlier posts.
Heaven knows what that does nowadays. (I was grateful enough to remove its claws to never want to know)
I leave Incredimail afficionados on the forum to deal with that - once you've been more explicit about what you mean.

Laura
23-08-2004, 11:46 PM
Well, don't we keep learning on PF1.

Was slow replying to this post (which had little apparent early interest) as the Olympics interrupted the typing.
Now not only been beaten to the post, but learn that things like * little balloons/speech bubbles* come up for you XP users.

As a Win98Se person, that sounds like pretty much like the comics I read as a kid.

So could I cope with this dramatic new technology?
Choices are between having a cup of tea & a lie-down over flash computers or getting back to the Olympics.
No option, really...

00falcon
24-08-2004, 08:17 AM
Unsure of the offical Website...
But have a look see...

http://www.webattack.com/get/xpantispy.shtml

If your on XP...

Falcon

Newteach
24-08-2004, 01:15 PM
Thanks Andrew that was quick and simple, already had Tweak UI on board. Frankly I think Laura has a little to much spare time...lmao..keep your eyes off the pants on them male Triathletes Laura :-)

Thanks again..

Nicola