PDA

View Full Version : Cisco 827 setup problems

compucon
23-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Got ahold of a Cisco 827 series adsl router the other day. Just had jetstream arranged today.

But no way can i get this thing working. lol

First time I've delt with Cisco gear befor and some help would be great.

I've installd the fast setup software and tryed everything i can with that but no good. from what i can gather i need some config file or a template of some sort.

routers pluged in correctly, ethernets online so is the adsl "cd" light.

routers connected directly to the pc with no hub via the ethernet and the switch on the back is set correctly.
Just a software issue by the looks of things

Hope someone out there can help us out.
cheers

Growly
23-08-2004, 07:44 PM
As far as my knowledge of Cisco routers is concerned - they need to be configured using console or virtual consoles. I'm not sure about their residential products - what category is yours?

If it's intended for offices, it probably needs to be configured via the command line on the console. Though I am not familiar with this model, so I cannot be sure. If you do, however need a config file, you will need to be able to log in with a terminal of some sort - unless a program does it for you (again, I haven't used these programs to configure cisco routers).

I guess before I can help you much, I need to know exactly what's wrong - how far does it get? What doesn't it do? Can you connect to it at all?

Wayne H
23-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Cisico configuration manual HERE (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a0080099e6 7.html#xtocid19)

compucon
23-08-2004, 10:01 PM
thanks for your reply.

This router is made for office use but we are using it at home.

There is a small bit of software called "fast setup" that uses template file to suit different uses of the router. filled them in with the correct information. but none of these templates suit xtras jetstream.

there is some monitoring software that tells me there is a connection from the pc to the router but the connection to the isp is not functioning.

Thats about it. thats as far as i got.

compucon
25-08-2004, 07:18 PM
Figured it out!

fast setup sortware was a waste of time.

turns out the web setup software was not installed in the router itself

so using hyper terminal and a tftp server program was able to load the files into the routers flash memory and use a configiration web page by going to 10.10.10.1 in internet explorer. From there on it was no problem just enter in the setting provided by xtra and away it went.

if anyone else is having a similar problem get ahold of the "cisco router websetup guide" (or CRWS for short) and follow the instructions. should be able to find this on ciscos website if you don't have it.

you need to download the latest CRWS files from Cisco.
and download a TFTP server program, ment to be one on the cisco site but i couldn't find it so search google instead.

Then use Hyper terminal to setup a connection to the router. follow the instructions in your manual.

Thanks for trying to help guys
Cheers