PDA

View Full Version : Network+ Courses in Auckland

wintertide
23-08-2004, 03:12 PM
I'm currently looking to upskill and have been looking round for a Network+ course to do. The ones that I've looked at so far cost a fair bit (around $6000) :(... does anyone here on PF1 know of any places that they can reccommend to me that do the Network+ course?

Thanks,
Wintertide

metla
23-08-2004, 03:20 PM
buy a book

read it 3 times.

sit the test

book=$100 approx
Test= $300 appox

Saving=Thousands.

chameleon_coder
23-08-2004, 03:24 PM
A little insight on Network+, although I do highly recommend doing a course and getting hands on and any questions you have concerns about answered. You will find that most courses of that type are around that price range.

You didn't hear this from me, usually because your course organises this, but you can organise it yourself. The exams are external and not held by your course that trains you, they just build you to the skill level required to pass the tests. This means you can learn however you want, reading, online, friends etc and pay to sit the exams which is around $300-600 only without the need for the course.

To fully understand the courses outline, maybe you could ask for a breakdown in the costs to see what it consists of, A lot of training places has to offer NZQA qualifications in the process, maybe because of the simplicity of the exam? I am not too sure on that.

However I do recommend doing the course, it's best to show the institution you trained at on your CV, than to try to explain you just sat the exam without any training and passed.

wintertide
23-08-2004, 03:24 PM
I find that sometimes the books aren't all that clear on certain things (learnt that one with my A+).

Anyways, my grandparents are paying for a course for me so I may as well take full advantage and use the money towards a course instead of just studying it by myself becuase I won't get around to actually sitting the exams if I don't do the course lol :)

Chilling_Silence
23-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Yes... But think of all the Case modding you could otherwise do with the $$ that would have been spent on the course, compared to just following Metla's advice ;-)

Growly
23-08-2004, 06:58 PM
I did three papers of a the level 5 diploma at WelTec - got bored, did the level 6 networking course - finished it, did my fourth form end of year exams, and sat and passed N+.

I bought a book, studied a whole lot, wasted my life, and then two days before I was scheduled to sit the exam (for $484 at the nearest WelTec campus), i looked up some braindumps.

Wow - so many of the questions that I sat I had seen in those braindumps...

Wow.

Growly
23-08-2004, 07:00 PM
You will not believe how many of those questions could be found on brain dumps.

Truly amazing.

Growly
I'm still astonished - Wow.

Growly
Wow.

Growly
Hint Hint.

JohnD
23-08-2004, 10:22 PM
I agree with those who say the course is the expensive option. I bought a book, read it twice, did the practice tests at the end of each chapter, did the practice test on the CD, did some free practice tests on the net then sat the exam. Total cost was:

Book (from Amazon) = US$50.97 (Amazon)
Exam = NZ$484 (from memory)

A pass in the exam is a pass regardless whether or not you have spent $6,000 on a course!

Peter Johnson
24-08-2004, 10:34 AM
They're right. Don't bother with an expensive course. I attended a course for A+ & failed. Discovered the hard way that the text books provided were absolute crap. The God of A+ and Network+ is Mike Myers. Go to TechBooks in Khyber Pass Rd & pick up his Network+ book. http://www.techbooks.co.nz/search/database/datasearch.asp

$137 unless you want to order a copy cheaper over the 'net. Highly recommended. If a dummy like me can do it...