PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading O.E or alternative that can...

J ZEP
23-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Hi guys, using win 2000pro, I would like to upgrade O.E, currently it has O.E v5.50, I.E v5.0.

1. Basically i want to know: If i use PC World plus cd with I.Esp1 on, will that give me the O.E upgrade too? I am not too worried about the IE side of things as i don't use it as my browser, but do use O.E. Am i right in thinking i can't just install O.E, as they are integrated now since I.E6?

2. Should i just install it over the top? Perhaps it will detect the old version and ask if i want to upgrade? (Its a relatively new install of win2000 and I.E hasn't been used...) OR do i need to uninstall it first, then do a clean install from the cd?

3. The main reason i want to use O.E on this machine is to check my Hotmail account through O.E. Has anybody got a good alternative e.g Eudora etc... "must be able to check Hotmail through it though".

TIA

Mike
23-08-2004, 01:04 PM
Why do you want to upgrade it to v6? Doesn't OE5.5 work with hotmail?

Running the IE6 upgrade will also upgrade OE - just install it over the top.

Mike.

J ZEP
23-08-2004, 01:22 PM
Hi Mike :-)

> Why do you want to upgrade it to v6? Doesn't OE5.5
> work with hotmail?

Good question ;-), Basically thought it would be good to have the added security functions that came with O.E6(actually thats about all that appears to be significantly different really :|), But in saying that, they aren't that big a deal for somebody like me i guess ;-).
Yes it is working with Hotmail at the moment under OE5, so maybe it would be a wasted effort...

> Running the IE6 upgrade will also upgrade OE - just
> install it over the top.

Thanks, i thought that would be the case, but just wanted to check first :-).

Cheers