PDA

View Full Version : Built my first computer but cannot get O/S working

kit2hugh
23-08-2004, 08:37 AM
I built my first computer Friday night & have spent 2 days trying to get Windows 98 loaded. I loaded it when I rebooted it started as windows 98 should then a box appeared saying cannot recognize this hardware, so I put in the dics of M/B DVD RW and it would not recognize them either.
Can anyone help to get me going Thanks

Spacemannz
23-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Is it the full version of 98?? How did you try and install it??

Did you boot from the 98 CD? Go into the BIOS change the bootdisk to CD. Save the settings. Then boot from the CD??

Whats the mobo and CPU, you're using??? How many mb of ram?? IDE or SATA? What else is in the case??

After 98 has booted, what hardware, does it say it can't detect?? Everything? the burner??

Chilling_Silence
23-08-2004, 09:55 AM
Have you actually got Win98 "working" though? Are you booted in to Win98 or still doing the Setup?

You may have to go through the folders in the CD and manually find some Setup files, chances are the drivers are compressed :-)

Chkll.

KatiMike
23-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Hello kit2hugh , well done taking the plunge and building your own 'puter . Sometimes I've found that if things go screwy while installing win 98 [se?] , it's best to reformat the HDD using a boot disc [ if you haven't got one post back for a link to a site] and start again - only takes about 2 hrs to put on os , then mobo drivers , video etc and seems to save a lot of trouble later . Good luck :)

kit2hugh
23-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Thanks
I got windows up with floppy and CD, and was told it didnt recognise H/W
so I put the drivers in and it didnt recognise them either

Motherboard Gigabyte GA7N400 Pro2 AMD2800 256ram SATA 120gb H/D
MSI DVD burner and video card radon 9200 128

I will put the rest in when I get it going.

Thanking you and waiting for reply

Hugh

Spacemannz
23-08-2004, 07:45 PM
I wouldnt bother using SATA with 98. If theres an option in BIOS, (if onboard SATA), change it to compatibilty mode (if there). Normally its on enhanced mode (for 2k/XP), its native OS. And change whatever connection the SATA is on to AUTO.

Was the 98 CD bootable (or DID you use the floppy to boot into DOS)?
Then install 98 from there?

At what point did it say it didnt recognise the hardware? After 98 was installed, while it was installing? Which of what you have installed now, isn't being detected at all? The DVD burner? The video card??

Growly
23-08-2004, 08:14 PM
You may need the SATA drivers on hand for the install - otherwise it won't have a clue.

Somewhat away from the point though...

kit2hugh
23-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Hallo

I had a feeling it might be the hard drive will I have to get a SATA to IDE
connection adaptor to put it into a IDE as the hard drive only has SATA
connections or can I still use the SATA connection.

Thanks

Spacemannz
23-08-2004, 08:37 PM
It looks like that motherboard has SATA onboard. BUT the connection on the motherboard is data ONLY. It doesnt supply the power. You need a SATA power adaptor, so you can connect the power of the SATA to a spare MOLEX connection from the power supply. This maybe one reason why nothing will see it?

Is Windows 98 actually installed on it yet? Or are you still trying to install 98 onto the SATA?? You can use BOTH IDE and SATA. As there are 2 of each on the motherboard. Have u got 2 cables coming out from the SATA the one for the connection to the mobo, and the power going to a spare molex connection ??

You can go here ad have a look

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/howto/sata_install_tshoot.html

or here

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255867

or here

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;166172

kit2hugh
24-08-2004, 08:48 AM
Thanks a lot all of you.
It seems to be running now, somehow it came on and I am into windows and have put all my drivers in and added the modem and TV card.
Everything seems to be working

But there is a problem, as it is booting up this message appears.

CANNOT FIND A FILE THAT MAY BE NEEDED TO RUN WINDOWS OR A WINDOWS APPLICATION.
THE WINDOW REGISTRY OR SYSTEM.INI FILE REFERS TO THIS DEVICE
BUT FILE NO LONGER EXISTS
IF YOU DELETED THIS FILE ON PURPOSE TRY UNINSTALLING THE FILE
IF YOU STILL WANT TO USE THIS APPLICATION YOU WILL HAVE TO TRY TO REINSTALL THE APPLICATION TO REPLACE MISSING FILE.

Once I have clicked on press any key to continue I get into windows ok.
I have no idea what or how I deleted anything and am not sure how I got into windows but I am there and need to rectify this to get going

Thanks a lot

Spacemannz
24-08-2004, 09:17 AM
Woohoo at least its running. go to start/run. type in msconfig.

Go to system.ini tab, let us know whats there. It'll be a command in there, pointing to a file that XP is complaining about, which doesnt exist.

As soon as we know what is listed there we can figure out which one is causing the prob and untick it. And it should be all GO.

Spacemannz
24-08-2004, 09:19 AM
oops NOT XP /98! Umm its not msconfig. Its sysedit isnt it?? you type under run.

KatiMike
24-08-2004, 10:00 AM
...msconfig works [ at least for 98SE ] ...

kit2hugh
27-08-2004, 08:47 AM
Hallo

I am having trouble getting windows in so I decided to reformat the hard drive and start again. I used
C:\>A:FORMAT C: /S /U
it did the formatting ok but when I tried to load Windows again it came up and said part of windows was still on trhe disk. when I over wrote it during bootup it comes up with a message saying part of windows SYSTEM INI file or registary has been deleted and have to press a key to carry on.
After loading all the drivers I have to press about three keys to get past.
Can anyone give me a clue how to carry on or a code to be able to wipe all of the H/D in format.

Thanks

kit2hugh
27-08-2004, 08:51 AM
Yes I Have power adaptor to the Hard Drive and SATA cable to the M/B
SATA connection. I will look at your links later sorry did not see this earlier.

Spacemannz
27-08-2004, 10:26 AM
Umm you cant format any version of windows, if youre in it.. Thats why Windows will complain. You have to format in pure DOS, not DOS within Windows.

And if the 98 CD is bootable, make it the bootdisk in the BIOS and install from the CD...

willie_M
27-08-2004, 03:26 PM
heres your sign :D ;-)