PDA

View Full Version : OEM software

mejobloggs
23-08-2004, 12:30 AM
http://www.allthesoft.org/

Occasionaly I do read my spam.

How can this be so cheap? Are they all just chinese copies or something?

I noticed this in thier FAQ
e) ..... Note, that you will not be able to register the software with the manufacturer and get their support, but we will do our best to support you any way possible. This includes providing different updates and service packs. However some updates will still be available from manufacturers, in fact most of them.

That looks extremely dodgy, or is it the same with all OEM software, how you can't register for the manufacurers support?

I thought OEM software had to be sold with a computer, or a piece of hardware or something, not just by itself?

Rob99
23-08-2004, 12:33 AM
IMHO this is a way to harvest money and not sent you anything in return

mejobloggs
23-08-2004, 12:53 AM
But that could not last long, surely someone would get them for that?

godfather
23-08-2004, 12:55 AM
A 2 second look on Google will give the answer. 6000 pages of them...

Its pirated or previously loaded (and probably still used) software or "backup copies" of it. They are not secure sites, your credit card details are toast. You will be spammed for life. (you are now by them anyway)

Its not legit to sell OEM software without hardware (even a mouse or an IDE cable could be construed as hardware though).

The old adage applies: If its too good to be true, its too good to be true.

In many cases the "testimonials" are older than the business itself.

godfather
23-08-2004, 12:56 AM
> But that could not last long, surely someone would
> get them for that?

In eastern Europe and Russian States? Are you SERIOUS?

Rob99
23-08-2004, 12:57 AM
I could/probally am wrong (cant remember when I was last wrong tho) spammers dont last long, they grab your money, shut up shop, start another con.

Murray P
23-08-2004, 01:04 AM
But the list remains to outlive them all or be resurrected with the next scam.

Cheers Murray P