PDA

View Full Version : MPEG Files

hillisp
22-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Does anyone know of a way to tell what codec has been used used to encode a MPEG1 file?
I have been playing around encoding some videos to play back on my PDA (trying out various formats, resolutions, bitrates, etc to see what works best) so installed some new codecs. Now when I encode the same original with the same software and setting the result is not as good as it used to be - the only reason I can think of is the default MPEG1 codec has changed so I want to find out was being used for teh first ones I encode.

davidb
22-08-2004, 11:55 PM
You can try a prgram called "gspot" which will tell you which codec is required to playback a file type - been great for me! Unsure where I got it from off the top of my head but just google for it and you find it no doubt.

Hope this is what you were after!! :D

hillisp
23-08-2004, 12:17 AM
Thanks I have been using GSpot. It tells you what program the MPEG was encoded with but not what codec - I dont even know if the codec version information is stored with the MPEG file or not.

Version of GSpot I have (2.5 Beta8 - I see there is a 2.51 Beta out now) tells you all the codec on your system for a certain format and allow you to change the merit order of the codes so I am trying that, making each one the highest merit in turn and doing a test encoding then seeing how they turn out.

GSpot webpage is http://gspot.headbands.com/

davidb
23-08-2004, 12:21 AM
Bugger, hope you find something that works!!