PDA

View Full Version : dOES eVERYONE kNOW wHAT "Bcc:" iS fOR oN eMAILS.

Earnie Moore
22-08-2004, 08:06 PM
This is a test, I will tell you more, after some replies...............I bet you just can not wait.............

Chilling_Silence
22-08-2004, 08:10 PM
Blind Carbon Copy - Means "Email this to everybody I put in here, without telling person #2 that its also being sent to person #1 and #3"

BTW - Check YoUr CaPs-LoCk BuTtOn DuDe ;-)

Misty
22-08-2004, 08:11 PM
Hi Earnie
BCC is for "blind copies". If you send an email to Don Brash with a BCC copy to Helen Clark then Don will not know that Helen has received the same email.
Misty ;)

Misty
22-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Me again Ernie
A friend of mine uses them a lot when he sends out a broadcast message to a lot of contacts. He does so on the basis that the addresses will not be picked up by anyone havesting for addresses for Spam purposes.

Whether that is a viable line of reasoning I do not know ? However since he is a Computer Scientist I bow to his superior knowledge !
Misty :)

Jen C
22-08-2004, 08:34 PM
yes

Terry Porritt
22-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Not everyone.

stu120404
22-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Yes, I do now what BCC is, & I use it a lot ;) when e-mailing a large group of peple.

icyred
22-08-2004, 09:55 PM
yes, unfortunately this knowledge is not shared by all the e-mail community-some of the e-mails we get, with their great long list of all recipients with addies clearly on display for all to see and harvest, make me shudder !!!

cheers

icy

FeuerBrennt
22-08-2004, 10:17 PM
I think people using hotmail and messenger buddies were the ones that send mails un-bcc....most of the time.

R2x1
23-08-2004, 12:14 AM
Not enough people know (Maybe they don't care?), but it is probably a simple spammers fishing ground when it is neglected.
It would be an ideal default.
(And now, do you know why I do not have a working caps lock key in the house?)
R2

Rob99
23-08-2004, 12:30 AM
No. I would have to say hardly anyone knows what this is.
It would be my preference if all emails were bcc by default.

Chilling_Silence
23-08-2004, 02:22 AM
I agree with Rob99.

Nothing annoys me more than getting an email, and finding its been passed on to literally thousands of others, and that I've got all their email addresses...

And I have the emails of all those people then surely the next thousand people down the list will have mine regardless of me wanting them to or not....

This annoys me no end! (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/Email_bcc.png)

Im willing to bet that 75% or more of all people who have been sent this email didnt want me having their email address to spam all I like.... Same goes for me! I dont want everybody that Samantha Stone sent that email on to having my email!

*Chill decides to shoot the next person he finds using CC:

Chill.

Earnie Moore
23-08-2004, 03:30 AM
> I agree with Rob99.
>
> Nothing annoys me more than getting an email, and
> finding its been passed on to literally thousands of
> others, and that I've got all their email
> addresses...
>
> And I have the emails of all those people then surely
> the next thousand people down the list will have mine
> regardless of me wanting them to or not....
>
> This annoys me no end! (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/Email_bcc.pn
> )
>
> Im willing to bet that 75% or more of all people who
> have been sent this email didnt want me having their
> email address to spam all I like.... Same goes for
> me! I dont want everybody that Samantha Stone sent
> that email on to having my email!
>
> *Chill decides to shoot the next person he finds
> using CC:
>
>
> Chill.

Yes you are all right, I have tried to teach my friends but it just never seems to work, most of these friends are people who know everything and you can not teach them more, I have changed my Email address a few times to get rid of junk mail, last time I changed it I only had it about six months then a friend decided to put all the names a Email in the To: entry then a few weeks later junk mail started to come in thick and fast, It was only a few months later my ISP started to filter out junk mail and now it works very well.

So what I do now is every time someone sends me a Email and all the names are in the To: entry I find the most pathetic joke I can find and send it to everyone on the list. but maybe I going a bit potty.

R2x1
23-08-2004, 03:39 AM
Well Chill, to all those who got that e-mail list, you can add all the spammers who looked at your link. D'oh
:) :D :^O
R2

Laura
23-08-2004, 03:48 AM
Gone by 2.45am, though

Chilling_Silence
23-08-2004, 04:22 AM
Laura:
Huh?? What's Gone??

R2x1:
I didnt know Spam-bots could use OCR and read JPG's? Am I wrong?

Chill.

R2x1
23-08-2004, 05:32 AM
There is an army of unemployed language school tutors out there, peering at tiny screens and writing away feverishly as we wait. Fortunately, they can't spell worth squat, and few can read their writing anyway.
It's a world-wide plot to fill our e-mail inboxes with e-junk 'till we've had e-nuff.
So, keep those knees rattling folks, the enemy is everywhere.
R2

Earnie Moore
23-08-2004, 07:20 AM
I keep forgetting there are heaps of people all around "us" that just "love" "new" Email addresses.

Chilling_Silence
23-08-2004, 09:59 AM
My friend has a new Email address? They must want me to bombard them with tons of "FWD: this to the number of people as you are years old or you'll have bad love for a year" emails because its a new Email address, and they wont have any!

Yeah... Right....!

Laura
23-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Chill:
Belated explanation -
When I tried to follow your link, I got Page Not Found, so thought you'd read R2x1's post & pulled the image.
Sarah Ulmer got all my attention after that
But in the clear light of day, I realise I clicked on Earnie's version of the link - not yours
Doh or Duh or whatever from me.

Billy T
23-08-2004, 05:29 PM
So, what was the test Earnie?

Time to come clean.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) ?:|

Misty
23-08-2004, 06:22 PM
Hi Chill
Noticed that Samanthas feature prominently in your emails - apart from Samantha Stone, who you mention, there is Samantha Spencer who writes "to my new zealand boyfriend lol ". Tell us more, Chill !!
Misty :D ;)

Chilling_Silence
23-08-2004, 06:52 PM
> Noticed that Samanthas feature prominently.....

> there is Samantha Spencer who writes "to my new
> zealand boyfriend lol ". Tell us more, Chill !!

Samantha Stone... An RL contact of mine who insists on being incredibly immature when it comes to using technology.

Samantha Spencer, My girlfriend has just left for the US last Tuesday. She'll be studying Theology, Religion, and other similar topics while over there for the next two years, with a probable third year community ministry work. I sent her an email "To my American Girlfriend" although she is 100% kiwi, so I guess she's taking the mickey out of it in her reply :-)

Im off home now... Lets hope theres another message from her :D

BTW - What is the cost of Broadband like in the US. Do most people have it?
Im just curious.....

Earnie Moore
23-08-2004, 06:59 PM
> So, what was the test Earnie?
>
> Time to come clean.
>
> Cheers
>
> Billy 8-{) ?:|

I was just pulling your leg, and everyone passed it

stu120404
23-08-2004, 07:22 PM
> BTW - What is the cost of Broadband like in the US.

Cheapish

> Do most people have it?

Most of the people I talk to/ help have it.

Earnie Moore
24-08-2004, 01:40 AM
Oh-man-oh-man-oh-man I'm I getting sick of educating the world using the universal F word.

Horny the Demon
24-08-2004, 03:17 AM
I didnt until now, am I right in saying that if you put peoples email address in the Cc box, instead of the To box, then the other recipients will not see a long list of address ?, just their own. I agree with all the comments and will use the Bcc box just as soon as I know how.

H

Chilling_Silence
24-08-2004, 08:25 AM
If you put them in the bcc, not if you put them in the cc! :-)

Rob99
24-08-2004, 09:36 AM
If you dont have Bcc in view when you are creating your emails click once to To or cc to bring up your address book.

Then click on someone to recieve the email once to highlight them.

Then you can click the bcc button to add them to bcc (note you dont need anyone in the To and Cc)

You can keep adding people via this method if they are in your address book, or when you return to edit the email you will now have the Bcc field visiable for you to type in additional address.

Horny the Demon
24-08-2004, 02:02 PM
many thanks for that, I will be using the BCC option from now on.