PDA

View Full Version : Old PC recording TV?

nomad
22-08-2004, 07:01 PM
Hiya

I have a old PC that maybe I can inherit. Its a 200Mhz AMD with 64MB, would this allow the user to record TV programs be from "audio in" or off the tv card? I could get a big CRT used screen ;)

I used a AMD 133Mhz some time ago and its worked fine with free air TVs and even audio in was fine that was SkyTV from the lounge.

I hope to use NT4 rather than Win9x.

Thanks.

nomad
22-08-2004, 07:04 PM
just a type, i hope to record both audio and video (inputs). is this possible on this old thing? the same goes off the tv card?

I hope the TV card would have the video input socket.
Thanks.

Spacemannz
22-08-2004, 07:34 PM
If you buy a TV tuner like the Leadtek Deluxe, this will let one record off normal TV. It'll act like a video recorder.

And also let you record programs/whatever to the hard drive. Be warned tho. You need a fair bit of hard drive space after a while. The mpegs it/TV Tuners create can be big. It'll also give you FM Radio. It does have a video in/out socket. And also a remote control!

Whether or not your system will handle it / or how fast things will happen with just 64mb maybe another matter

godfather
22-08-2004, 08:01 PM
A Leadtek Deluxe TV card requires a minimum of a 300 MHz PII and Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP.

Not sure that I would go the Windows NT way either, its not known for compatability with some devices, being primarily a security conscious business OS. Its simply not mentioned as being compatable with the above, even if the CPU could run it.

In reality, while they say a 300 MHz CPU, that would be poor performance I believe.

The older FlyVideo series TV cards would probably work on that CPU, and on NT as well. Not brilliantly but would run.
Recording video would probably be choppy though as that can be very intensive. Even a 600 MHz CPU can result in a choppy record with lost frames.

I think you may be expecting too much with a slow CPU.