PDA

View Full Version : Installing SATA Hard Drive

dcurrie
22-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Hi, I have bought a new SATA hard drive. My motherboard can't support Serial ATA so I

have installed a PCI SATA Controller. The new drive comes up as Disk 2 (I already had

a second disk installed) & I have been booting from Disk 0 as C:.

I wished to replace the old drive with the new SATA Drive & to boot from it. However

now that I've installed it & see how it works, I'm not sure if this is going to be

possible as I guess that Windows has to load the drivers for the SATA Controller when

it boots up before it can see the new drive...

Can anyone advise if I can use the new drive by itself in the machine, ow is it

always going to have to be a second or third drive?

Thanks!

David

Spacemannz
22-08-2004, 07:25 PM
I havent tried a PCI SATA card. SATA is onboard this mobo.

So, NOT sure if this will work. It may or may not.

Connect the SATA hdd to the PCI card (NOTE: the red connection cable, for the SATA may not be include the power. You'll have to buy a SATA power adaptor. And connect it to a spare MOLEX connection from the power supply. It sounds like you have the power adaptor, since it's going now.

Go into the BIOS. And see if the BIOS can detect the SATA after you connect it to the card, and the power connector to a MOLEX plug. What operating system, will you be installing onto the SATA?

If XP, it maybe OK. All you do is, chuck the XP CD in, go into the BIOS. Set the CD as bootdisk. Let XP install. Drivers aren't normally required for XP (if you ONLY have 1 SATA, and not planning on using RAID). A SATA can be used as master or slave hard drive. I use a 120gb SATA with XP on it here. The difference between onboard (not sure aboput PCI SATA), is it gives you the option, of selecting Enhanced mode (For 2k/XP), or Compatibilty mode (98 or other), in the BIOS. Give the above a try. See what happens.

chiefnz
22-08-2004, 10:14 PM
You will only need drivers for the SATA controller if you want to run RAID. but as you only have 1 drive you won't be running it in RAID mode. (I think you need more than one drive to run RAID)

When you install XP on the new drive hit F6 to install 3rd party controllers... you can either use a generic driver from the XP disc or you can use a drive that comes with your SATA controller card.

cheers

chiefnz